RevZilla (2.5)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I found a stack that used to work to provide a LC interface to Bugzilla.  I
briefly tried to get it to work, but even after I could authenticate it
just didn’t work correctly.  Has anyone kept this tool up to date?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: RevZilla (2.5)

Brian Milby wrote:

 > I found a stack that used to work to provide a LC interface to
 > Bugzilla.  I briefly tried to get it to work, but even after I
 > could authenticate it just didn’t work correctly.  Has anyone kept
 > this tool up to date?

I'm guessing you're referring to this one, from Ken Ray:
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/downloads/RevZilla2.htm

IIRC last time I spoke with Ken about that there were enough changes in
BZ to make updating RevZilla an unattractive task.

It's old enough that I don't even think it has an explicit license, so
it may not be clear to others how to proceed if they want to try to
undertake that themselves.

I think he'd be quite supportive of having someone else update it. His
email link is available on the last line of that page.

Re: RevZilla (2.5)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I’ve looked at the code enough to know that any update by someone other
than Ken would be a huge task. I was kind of hoping that someone else had
already had the itch and scratched it :)

It was developed without explicit variable checking so going there would be
fun. But it also has a bit of code supporting legacy Mac that wouldn’t be
needed.

Thanks,
Brian
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian Milby wrote:
>
>  > I found a stack that used to work to provide a LC interface to
>  > Bugzilla.  I briefly tried to get it to work, but even after I
>  > could authenticate it just didn’t work correctly.  Has anyone kept
>  > this tool up to date?
>
> I'm guessing you're referring to this one, from Ken Ray:
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/downloads/RevZilla2.htm
>
> IIRC last time I spoke with Ken about that there were enough changes in
> BZ to make updating RevZilla an unattractive task.
>
> It's old enough that I don't even think it has an explicit license, so
> it may not be clear to others how to proceed if they want to try to
> undertake that themselves.
>
> I think he'd be quite supportive of having someone else update it. His
> email link is available on the last line of that page.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: RevZilla (2.5)

Brian Milby wrote:

 > It was developed without explicit variable checking so going there
 > would be fun.

Most code in our community doesn't comply with the explicVars global
prop, not even the IDE.

Thankfully the LC team's response was more accommodating than
SuperCard's where that property premiered: the LC IDE's Script Editor
now only uses that temporarily to check a script, but does not attempt
to run with that property active.

If it's a problem with a stack just turn it off while you're working.
Over time maybe more declarations can be added (though that is indeed
tedious, which is why so many of us don't bother in a language that
doesn't require declaration).

Re: RevZilla (2.5)

On 03/26/2018 12:05 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> I’ve looked at the code enough to know that any update by someone other
> than Ken would be a huge task. I was kind of hoping that someone else had
> already had the itch and scratched it :)
>
> It was developed without explicit variable checking so going there would be
> fun. But it also has a bit of code supporting legacy Mac that wouldn’t be
> needed.

I did that back in the day, but RunRev's use of bugzilla changed
drastically at the point where RevZilla 2.5 stopped working. There are
enough things hidden now from normal view that it would be a major task
to redo it. I can dig through the archives and probably send you a
version that is explicitVars-safe if that helps. It was fun while it lasted.

Re: RevZilla (2.5)

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
If I tackle it, going through the vars is probably a good way to clean up
stuff no longer needed. At first I tried to define everything but gave up
and restarted with the setting turned off. I think I did at least get it to
authenticate but data had changed too much for anything to really work.

If the code is handy, it wouldn’t hurt, but not sure if I will have time
for this project.

Thanks,
Brian