Quantcast

Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
for in house production tools I use an apples script or shell script to reveal a file in the finder

how do we do this on windows?

BR

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
get shell (”explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\system32\selected_file.txt")

Source:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29970897/cmd-file-tasks-open-directory-and-select-file

~Roger

On Feb 21, 2017 10:43 PM, "Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

for in house production tools I use an apples script or shell script to
reveal a file in the finder

how do we do this on windows?

BR

Null symbol cross platform

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Hello, folks.

I already posted this, but no response.  I have a bit more informations and new areas of confusion, so I thought I would try again.

I have a group displaying a number of single character fields which can be clicked on to populate other fields.  Essentially a pick list.  One of the options is the null set character ( the O with a line through it, U+2205).  I have tried to find a cross platform font that displays it on Mac & Win.  I got some apparently duff info that Trebuchet would do the trick,  It is OK on Mac, but appears as the mystery character box on Win standalone.

So I did some more digging, and it is listed among the characters displayed by unicode Arial MS.  So I set the fonts accordingly and again it works fine on Mac, but when I test a build on Windows, I get the mystery box.  This really surprised me.  I did wonder whether I might get the NUL symbol appearing as letters top left to bottom right (U+2400), but the no such character surprised me.

I have never attempted any unicode jiggery pokery - is that what I need to do, and if so, any guidance?

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Re: Null symbol cross platform

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Frankly I would just take a look at the Unicode convention's guff:

U+2205 is a sort of "O" with a slanted line through it:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2205/index.htm

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf

If you stare at this PDF long enough you might get a free trip without
having to reach for the LSD!

This is NOT really the problem. What is the problem is whether the stuff
"under the hood" in your operating system recognises U+2205 as the null
set character or not.

I would suggest the "quickest route to heaven" is to ask Microsoft and
Apple directly.

This would seem to suggest that Windows has not jettisoned all its
pre-Unicode bumf:
http://superuser.com/questions/61742/how-to-insert-a-null-character-ascii-00-in-notepad

While ASCII 00 may result in a null set character being inserted in some
Windowsy code, it may not
be displayed as the "happy" slashed zero.

Richmond.

On 2/22/17 7:15 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> I have a group displaying a number of single character fields which
> can be clicked on to populate other fields.  Essentially a pick list.
> One of the options is the null set character ( the O with a line
> through it, U+2205).  I have tried to find a cross platform font that
> displays it on Mac & Win.  I got some apparently duff info that
> Trebuchet would do the trick,  It is OK on Mac, but appears as the
> mystery character box on Win standalone.

It may be the difference in the character sets for each platform. If you
always develop on a Mac, use macToISO() on the character when the
platform is win32. LC usually does the conversion by itself, but if you
are populating the list from a custom property, the script has to do it.

If you aren't using a custom property then I'm not sure why it isn't
translating. Is the list coming from somewhere outside LC? If so,
textDecode() should work.

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
OK  I studied the doc here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/130510/command-line-switches-for-windows-explorer

and actually the use cases are more often to open a folder

but I don't have windows to test

does this work to open a folder window on Win32?

get shell (”explorer.exe /n,/root,c:\windows\system32\my-project-folder")

BR

On 2/22/17, 1:54 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Eller via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    get shell (”explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\system32\selected_file.txt")

    Source:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29970897/cmd-file-tasks-open-directory-and-select-file

    ~Roger

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
this is what I have so far…

command openWorkingFolderInFinder pFolderFile
    set the itemdel to "/"
    put pFolderFile into sRootFolder
    delete item -1 of sRootFolder
    switch platform()
        case "MacOS"
            put ("open " & quote & sRootFolder & quote) into tShell
            break
        case "Win32"
            put ("explorer.exe /n/root," & tRootfolder) into tShell
            break
    end switch
    get shell(tShell)
end openWorkingFolderInFinder

Can anyone test if this opens a folder on Windows?

tks

On 2/22/17, 4:59 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    OK  I studied the doc here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/130510/command-line-switches-for-windows-explorer

    and actually the use cases are more often to open a folder

    but I don't have windows to test

    does this work to open a folder window on Win32?

    get shell (”explorer.exe /n,/root,c:\windows\system32\my-project-folder")

    BR

    On 2/22/17, 1:54 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Eller via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

        get shell (”explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\system32\selected_file.txt")

        Source:
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29970897/cmd-file-tasks-open-directory-and-select-file

        ~Roger

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
I can't test it on mac, but 2 things. First, if your path is a folder but
doesn't have the trailing / you'll end up in the wrong place so you might
consider doing a check:
if there is a file sRootFolder then delete item -1 of sRootFolder

Then for the windows segment use "start":

put ("start " & sRootFolder) into tShell  -- also noted there is a typo,
you use tRootfolder rather than sRootfolder in your example above

I _think_ start is available all the way down to xp, but I can't check to
make sure.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> this is what I have so far…
>
> command openWorkingFolderInFinder pFolderFile
>     set the itemdel to "/"
>     put pFolderFile into sRootFolder
>     delete item -1 of sRootFolder
>     switch platform()
>         case "MacOS"
>             put ("open " & quote & sRootFolder & quote) into tShell
>             break
>         case "Win32"
>             put ("explorer.exe /n/root," & tRootfolder) into tShell
>             break
>     end switch
>     get shell(tShell)
> end openWorkingFolderInFinder
>
> Can anyone test if this opens a folder on Windows?
>
> tks
>

> On 2/22/17, 4:59 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
> via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     OK  I studied the doc here:
>
>     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/130510/command-
> line-switches-for-windows-explorer
>
>     and actually the use cases are more often to open a folder
>
>     but I don't have windows to test
>
>     does this work to open a folder window on Win32?
>
>     get shell (”explorer.exe /n,/root,c:\windows\system32\
> my-project-folder")
>

>     BR
>

>     On 2/22/17, 1:54 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Eller via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>         get shell (”explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\system32\
> selected_file.txt")
>
>         Source:
>         http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29970897/cmd-file-
> tasks-open-directory-and-select-file
>
>         ~Roger

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Just remembered, you can bipass the shell call entirely..

launch document sRootFolder -- native lc command.  Just need to do as I
mentioned and be sure its a folder you're dealing with. (otherwise it will
launch the apropos app to match the file type)

It will probably work for both platforms. (my mac is down or I'd check
there)

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't test it on mac, but 2 things. First, if your path is a folder but
> doesn't have the trailing / you'll end up in the wrong place so you might
> consider doing a check:
> if there is a file sRootFolder then delete item -1 of sRootFolder
>
> Then for the windows segment use "start":
>
> put ("start " & sRootFolder) into tShell  -- also noted there is a typo,
> you use tRootfolder rather than sRootfolder in your example above
>
> I _think_ start is available all the way down to xp, but I can't check to
> make sure.
>

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> this is what I have so far…
>>
>> command openWorkingFolderInFinder pFolderFile
>>     set the itemdel to "/"
>>     put pFolderFile into sRootFolder
>>     delete item -1 of sRootFolder
>>     switch platform()
>>         case "MacOS"
>>             put ("open " & quote & sRootFolder & quote) into tShell
>>             break
>>         case "Win32"
>>             put ("explorer.exe /n/root," & tRootfolder) into tShell
>>             break
>>     end switch
>>     get shell(tShell)
>> end openWorkingFolderInFinder
>>
>> Can anyone test if this opens a folder on Windows?
>>
>> tks
>>

>> On 2/22/17, 4:59 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin
>> Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <[hidden email]
>> on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>     OK  I studied the doc here:
>>
>>     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/130510/command-line
>> -switches-for-windows-explorer
>>
>>     and actually the use cases are more often to open a folder
>>
>>     but I don't have windows to test
>>
>>     does this work to open a folder window on Win32?
>>
>>     get shell (”explorer.exe /n,/root,c:\windows\system32\m
>> y-project-folder")
>>

>>     BR
>>

>>     On 2/22/17, 1:54 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Eller via
>> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>         get shell (”explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\system32\se
>> lected_file.txt")
>>
>>         Source:
>>         http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29970897/cmd-file-tasks-
>> open-directory-and-select-file
>>
>>         ~Roger

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Launch document is good, but the OP wants to simply open a folder, and as
stated in his first post, reveal or select a specific file.  I'll try the
handler on Windows when I get to the office.

~Roger

On Feb 22, 2017 10:45 PM, "Mike Bonner via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just remembered, you can bipass the shell call entirely..
>
> launch document sRootFolder -- native lc command.  Just need to do as I
> mentioned and be sure its a folder you're dealing with. (otherwise it will
> launch the apropos app to match the file type)
>
> It will probably work for both platforms. (my mac is down or I'd check
> there)
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I can't test it on mac, but 2 things. First, if your path is a folder but
> > doesn't have the trailing / you'll end up in the wrong place so you might
> > consider doing a check:
> > if there is a file sRootFolder then delete item -1 of sRootFolder
> >
> > Then for the windows segment use "start":
> >
> > put ("start " & sRootFolder) into tShell  -- also noted there is a typo,
> > you use tRootfolder rather than sRootfolder in your example above
> >
> > I _think_ start is available all the way down to xp, but I can't check to
> > make sure.
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> > use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> this is what I have so far…
> >>
> >> command openWorkingFolderInFinder pFolderFile
> >>     set the itemdel to "/"
> >>     put pFolderFile into sRootFolder
> >>     delete item -1 of sRootFolder
> >>     switch platform()
> >>         case "MacOS"
> >>             put ("open " & quote & sRootFolder & quote) into tShell
> >>             break
> >>         case "Win32"
> >>             put ("explorer.exe /n/root," & tRootfolder) into tShell
> >>             break
> >>     end switch
> >>     get shell(tShell)
> >> end openWorkingFolderInFinder
> >>
> >> Can anyone test if this opens a folder on Windows?
> >>
> >> tks
> >>

> >> On 2/22/17, 4:59 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin
> >> Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces@lists.
> runrev.com
> >> on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>     OK  I studied the doc here:
> >>
> >>     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/130510/command-line
> >> -switches-for-windows-explorer
> >>
> >>     and actually the use cases are more often to open a folder
> >>
> >>     but I don't have windows to test
> >>
> >>     does this work to open a folder window on Win32?
> >>
> >>     get shell (”explorer.exe /n,/root,c:\windows\system32\m
> >> y-project-folder")
> >>

> >>     BR
> >>

> >>     On 2/22/17, 1:54 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Eller via
> >> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> >> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>         get shell (”explorer.exe /select,c:\windows\system32\se
> >> lected_file.txt")
> >>
> >>         Source:
> >>         http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29970897/cmd-file-tasks-
> >> open-directory-and-select-file
> >>
> >>         ~Roger

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
The following works here on Mac/Win/Linux with LC 6/7/8/9.

All my newer stacks have a menu (small square at top left)
to do that for each path item of the current stack path.

##  Opens the folder that contains the file pFolderFile
command openWorkingFolder pFolderFile
   set itemdel to "/"
   put item 1 to -2 of pFolderFile into t
   set itemdel to ","
   if the platform is "linux" then
      try
         launch document t
         get shell("xdg-open " & quote&t&quote)
      end try
   else launch document t

Mike Bonner wrote:

> Just remembered, you can bipass the shell call entirely..
>
> launch document sRootFolder -- native lc command.  Just need to do as I
> mentioned and be sure its a folder you're dealing with. (otherwise it will
> launch the apropos app to match the file type)
>
> It will probably work for both platforms. (my mac is down or I'd check
> there)

As Richmond might ask, "both"?

There are three major desktop OSes. :)

For those who include the roughly 50 million Linux desktop users in
their deployments, calling xdg-open with the shell function does the trick:

on mouseUp
    put specialFolderPath("desktop") into tFolder
    get shell("xdg-open "&quote& tFolder &quote)

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
50 Million!!!  pffft

Well, let's not forget about the Amiga
<http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Command_Examples>
then.  I know there are still at least 2, because I still have mine.  ;)

~Roger

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike Bonner wrote:
>
> Just remembered, you can bipass the shell call entirely..
>>
>> launch document sRootFolder -- native lc command.  Just need to do as I
>> mentioned and be sure its a folder you're dealing with. (otherwise it will
>> launch the apropos app to match the file type)
>>
>> It will probably work for both platforms. (my mac is down or I'd check
>> there)
>>

> As Richmond might ask, "both"?
>
> There are three major desktop OSes. :)
>
> For those who include the roughly 50 million Linux desktop users in their
> deployments, calling xdg-open with the shell function does the trick:
>
> on mouseUp
>    put specialFolderPath("desktop") into tFolder
>    get shell("xdg-open "&quote& tFolder &quote)
> end mouseUp
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
> Richard G. wrote:
> There are three major desktop OSes. :)

Yes. And I'm _the only one_ in this thread who posted a handler
that serves all these three ...

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-February/234858.html

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
You get a star for effort.  ;-p

I tried your handler on Mac and Win, (not currently one of the 50 million
Linux users).  It opened the folder but did not select (reveal) the file or
folder.  The start of your command name didn't match the end, but that's
okay.  Community effort, right?

~Roger

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM, hh via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Richard G. wrote:
> > There are three major desktop OSes. :)
>
> Yes. And I'm _the only one_ in this thread who posted a handler
> that serves all these three ...
>
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2017-February/234858.html

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
@Roger
I adjusted (uncompletely) the name to the OP's handler name.

Yes, you are right, the handler only opens the enclosing folder
(or any path item of such a folder path).

The purpose of my post was to second the "launch document" solution
for folders and moreover to add the linux variant for the ubuntu-
and debian-flavours (most Raspis run also linux).

I saw the "launch document" method for folders first, as a real
beginner, in an old post of Klaus in the forum.

For revealing/selecting the file one needs, as was partially
explicitly pointed out in other posts before (thanks for that),
specific tools for each platform. Some time ago I tried several hours
to find general variants but I gave up eventually because it is
moreover, within the platform, specific for OS-releases/OS-flavours.

Re: Reveal in Find on Windows

HH wrote:
    Yes, you are right, the handler only opens the enclosing folder
    (or any path item of such a folder path).

Actually that's my main use case…

But now we have all options… thanks to all.

nice to find that I can use launch for both Windows and Mac

But has to have a slash on the end for Windows?

@Mike, right that was a typo sRootFolder is what it should be.  (script local for future use in another session)

BR

Re: Null symbol cross platform

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
I think you are correct, Richmond.

Blagodarya vi mnogo (transliteration from vague memory, so apologies if mangled).

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

> On 22 Feb 2017, at 2:04 pm, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Frankly I would just take a look at the Unicode convention's guff:
>
> U+2205 is a sort of "O" with a slanted line through it:
>
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2205/index.htm
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf
>
> If you stare at this PDF long enough you might get a free trip without having to reach for the LSD!
>
> This is NOT really the problem. What is the problem is whether the stuff "under the hood" in your operating system recognises U+2205 as the null set character or not.
>
> I would suggest the "quickest route to heaven" is to ask Microsoft and Apple directly.
>
> This would seem to suggest that Windows has not jettisoned all its pre-Unicode bumf: http://superuser.com/questions/61742/how-to-insert-a-null-character-ascii-00-in-notepad
>
> While ASCII 00 may result in a null set character being inserted in some Windowsy code, it may not
> be displayed as the "happy" slashed zero.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 2/22/17 3:15 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hello, folks.
>>
>> I already posted this, but no response.  I have a bit more informations and new areas of confusion, so I thought I would try again.
>>
>> I have a group displaying a number of single character fields which can be clicked on to populate other fields.  Essentially a pick list.  One of the options is the null set character ( the O with a line through it, U+2205).  I have tried to find a cross platform font that displays it on Mac & Win.  I got some apparently duff info that Trebuchet would do the trick,  It is OK on Mac, but appears as the mystery character box on Win standalone.
>>
>> So I did some more digging, and it is listed among the characters displayed by unicode Arial MS.  So I set the fonts accordingly and again it works fine on Mac, but when I test a build on Windows, I get the mystery box.  This really surprised me.  I did wonder whether I might get the NUL symbol appearing as letters top left to bottom right (U+2400), but the no such character surprised me.
>>
>> I have never attempted any unicode jiggery pokery - is that what I need to do, and if so, any guidance?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> David Glasgow

Re: Null symbol cross platform

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Thanks for that reminder.  I had forgotten about  mactoISO().  Field population isn’t from a custom property, but I have had oddities in another project which are probably exactly that.  At least I can fix that!

Cheers,

David G