Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

Paul Claude-2
Some time ago, I asked to the Revolution's staff for a printable language
guide  in PDF format, to easily print it and use it in developing
Revolution's applications. Geoff Canyon - from Runtime Revolution - told me
that "The online documentation can be exported using the stack available
at...Be aware that it's very big -- about 4000 pages."

   Well, as I cannot print 4000 pages of documentation, I answered to Geoff
that I would have liked to create a short guide for me and for any other
Revolution's user.

   That's it. This is a little language reference of Revolution 2.0.2,
including syntax, examples and a short summary, exported from the Transcript
Dictionary stack - all in 43 pages - in  PDF format (A4 paper size).

http://www.ziggy-soft.com/z_progs/Revolution%20Quick%20Reference.zip

   I hope it may be useful for the Rev community.

Greetings

Paul Claude

help needed working with modal stacks

Stephen Barncard
Well I'm working in the weird wonderful world of modal stacks, where
you can't really change and debug in real time....

There's a bit of 'you can't get there from here.. here..

I have a custom list dialog that's almost done.

Goal: I want to be able to have NO selection in the list field happen
before the stack opens, by using 0 or empty in the variable tLineState

I have a list field 'kMainField' on a modal dialog

This preopenstack handler in the cd 1 script of the stack will set
the hilitedlines with line 6 of the dialogdata = "1,4,6"

When I put "1,4,6" into dialogdata then modal the stack

--- this selects lines 1,4,6 invisibly and the stack opens with those
lines selected....

on preopenstack
    put line 6 of the dialogdata into tLineState
    set the hilitedlines of fld kMainField to it
end preopenstack

after the stack opens, I can do this in the message box:

set the hilitedlines of fld kMainField to 0

or...

set the hilitedlines of fld kMainField to empty

and unselect the line

however, if I try to pass a 0 or empty through line 6 of dialogdata,
line 1 of the list is still selected.

if I use a custom property as a flag like this:

on preopenstack
    put line 6 of the dialogdata into tLineState
    IF (tLineState is not empty)  AND (tLineState is not 0)
     THEN
         set the hilitedlines of fld kMainField to it
         set the hLines of this stack to true
     ELSE
         set the hLines of this stack to false
     END IF
end preopenstack

and then in the stack script use this handler:

ON openstack
     IF the hlines of this stack is false
     THEN
         set the hilitedlines of fld "listField" to empty
     END IF
END openstack

I can get the line to unselect, however it's selected for a second
before it un-selects...

This looks like crap though.

using "send in time" doesn't work either.

Is this a bug?

I can do other things like delete a line from the field from the
preopenstack handler or just about anything else... why not this?

by the way.... did you know that dialogdata can't be an array? Bummer.

thanks for any suggestions...
sqb

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

Stephen Barncard
re: previous post

kMainField = "listField"

>Well I'm working in the weird wonderful world of modal stacks, where
>you can't really change and debug in real time....
>
>There's a bit of 'you can't get there from here.. here..

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o
- - -  - - - - - - - - -

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

xtalkprogrammer
Dear Stephen,

This example should get you going:

on preOpenCard
   set the hilitedLines of fld 1 to 0
   set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
end preOpenCard

on openCard
   lock screen
   set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
   unlock screen
end openCard

Try it in a new stack with one card and a list field on that card.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 3-mei-2006, om 9:59 heeft Stephen Barncard het volgende geschreven:

> re: previous post
>
> kMainField = "listField"
>

>> Well I'm working in the weird wonderful world of modal stacks,
>> where you can't really change and debug in real time....
>>
>> There's a bit of 'you can't get there from here.. here..
>
> --
> stephen barncard
> s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

Dom-2
Paul Claude <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    That's it. This is a little language reference of Revolution 2.0.2,
> including syntax, examples and a short summary, exported from the Transcript
> Dictionary stack - all in 43 pages - in  PDF format (A4 paper size).
>
> http://www.ziggy-soft.com/z_progs/Revolution%20Quick%20Reference.zip

Useful, Thanks, Paul!

But -- there is a number of blank pages between 23 and 33
Is it normal?

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

Paul Claude-2
No, it's abnormal. I will upload a correct version in a few minutes.

Greetings

Paul Claude

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

masmit
Stephen, what's in the 'it' variable at this point?

Best

Mark

On 3 May 2006, at 08:55, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> on preopenstack
>    put line 6 of the dialogdata into tLineState
>    set the hilitedlines of fld kMainField to it
> end preopenstack

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

Paul Claude-2
Now there is no more blank pages. Please re-download from
http://www.ziggy-soft.com/z_progs/Revolution%20Quick%20Reference.zip .

Greetings

Paul Claude

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Paul,

Great to have a small document that provides an overview of all
important commands and functions at a glance. Thanks.

I'd like to add that I have a slightly less compact document with
examples available on the Economy-x-Talk homepage. The original is a
HyperCard stack, which contains scripts in HyperTalk mostly, but
there is also a PDF file available in the Downloads section.

Best regards,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering
http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 3-mei-2006, om 12:40 heeft Paul Claude het volgende geschreven:

KvK: 50277553

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

Stephen Barncard
it's supposed to be tLineState
I was trying to simplify the real code and lost a bit

>Stephen, what's in the 'it' variable at this point?
>
>Best
>
>Mark
>
>On 3 May 2006, at 08:55, Stephen Barncard wrote:
>
>>on preopenstack
>>    put line 6 of the dialogdata into tLineState
>>    set the hilitedlines of fld kMainField to it
>>end preopenstack

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o
- - -  - - - - - - - - -

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

Ken Ray
On 5/3/06 3:20 AM, "Mark Schonewille" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Stephen,
>
> This example should get you going:
>
> on preOpenCard
>    set the hilitedLines of fld 1 to 0
>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
> end preOpenCard
>
> on openCard
>    lock screen
>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
>    unlock screen
> end openCard

Actually, Mark, it's simpler than this, although you have hit the nail on
the head with 'traversalOn':

on preOpenCard
   set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
end preOpenCard

on openCard
   set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
end openCard

I've been waiting for a recipe that was simple enough to not have the first
field auto-focused, and this is it! Thanks, Mark!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

Stephen Barncard
Thanks, Mark, that was it.

Tricky little thing that Traversal guy...

sqb

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Re: help needed working with modal stacks

J. Landman Gay
Ken Ray wrote:

> On 5/3/06 3:20 AM, "Mark Schonewille" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Stephen,
>>
>> This example should get you going:
>>
>> on preOpenCard
>>    set the hilitedLines of fld 1 to 0
>>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
>> end preOpenCard
>>
>> on openCard
>>    lock screen
>>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
>>    unlock screen
>> end openCard
>
> Actually, Mark, it's simpler than this, although you have hit the nail on
> the head with 'traversalOn':
>
> on preOpenCard
>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
> end preOpenCard
>
> on openCard
>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
> end openCard
>
> I've been waiting for a recipe that was simple enough to not have the first
> field auto-focused, and this is it! Thanks, Mark!

Doesn't seem to work here. :( I've been looking for the same thing, but
I guess I'll have to stick with:

  send "unSel" to me in 1

with an "unsel" handler that selects empty.

On 5/3/06 12:07 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ken Ray wrote:

>> on preOpenCard
>>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
>> end preOpenCard
>>
>> on openCard
>>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
>> end openCard
>>
>> I've been waiting for a recipe that was simple enough to not have the first
>> field auto-focused, and this is it! Thanks, Mark!
>
> Doesn't seem to work here. :( I've been looking for the same thing, but
> I guess I'll have to stick with:
>
>   send "unSel" to me in 1
>
> with an "unsel" handler that selects empty.

Are you working with list fields, or regular fields? (The reason I ask is
that "select empty" won't affect the hilitedlines of list fields...)

Ken Ray wrote:

> On 5/3/06 12:07 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ken Ray wrote:
>
>>> on preOpenCard
>>>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to false
>>> end preOpenCard
>>>
>>> on openCard
>>>    set the traversalOn of fld 1 to true
>>> end openCard
>>>
>>> I've been waiting for a recipe that was simple enough to not have the first
>>> field auto-focused, and this is it! Thanks, Mark!
>> Doesn't seem to work here. :( I've been looking for the same thing, but
>> I guess I'll have to stick with:
>>
>>   send "unSel" to me in 1
>>
>> with an "unsel" handler that selects empty.
>
> Are you working with list fields, or regular fields? (The reason I ask is
> that "select empty" won't affect the hilitedlines of list fields...)

I figured that out after I posted. I tested it with a regular field,
which is what I most often need it for. It doesn't work with those. I
haven't tried it with list fields, but I am pretty sure it will work
there because you are always right. ;)

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

Paul Claude-2
If this handbook should be useful for many people, I could try to update it
to Rev 2.7.x documentation; I will see in future.

Greetings

Paul Claude

on 3-05-2006 21:50, Francis Nugent Dixon at [hidden email] wrote:

> To Paul Claude,
>
> The PDF  "Revolution Quick Reference" is just
> what I wanted to build myself, because I need
> a Quick Reference List. But it already exists !
>
> FLG  (Finger Lickin' Good !)
>
> Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> -Francis
>
> "Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

Paul Claude-2
Hi Mark,

I have D/L your PDF: very useful.

Are you planning to update it?

Greetings

Paul Claude

on 3-05-2006 13:15, Mark Schonewille at [hidden email]
wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Great to have a small document that provides an overview of all
> important commands and functions at a glance. Thanks.
>
> I'd like to add that I have a slightly less compact document with
> examples available on the Economy-x-Talk homepage. The original is a
> HyperCard stack, which contains scripts in HyperTalk mostly, but
> there is also a PDF file available in the Downloads section.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark
>
> --
>
> Economy-x-Talk
> Consultancy and Software Engineering
> http://economy-x-talk.com
> http://www.salery.biz
>
> Salery is the easiest way to get your own web store on-line: http://
> www.salery.biz/salery.html
>

> Op 3-mei-2006, om 12:40 heeft Paul Claude het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Now there is no more blank pages. Please re-download from
>> http://www.ziggy-soft.com/z_progs/Revolution%20Quick%20Reference.zip .
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Paul Claude

Re: Revolution Syntax Quick Reference

xtalkprogrammer
Hello Paul,

Naturally, I'm updating it. During the past 6 years, is was updated
roughly every 6 months, but there is no time schedule for it.

If anyone has sample scripts that really should be included in the
collection, let me know. I'll be happy to include them in the next
update of the Sample Scripts Stack an the PDF. Who knows, I might
even decide to convert the stack to Revolution some day.

Best regards,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering
http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 5-mei-2006, om 8:54 heeft Paul Claude het volgende geschreven: