Revolution friendly virtual desktop managers. WinXP

Revolution friendly virtual desktop managers. WinXP

Bob Hartley
Hi All.

I am looking for a virtual desktop manager for windowsXP. Now the reason
that this has relevance to the runrev list is, some of these don't hide all
the runrev palletes on switching screens. The one I prefer at the moment
that does do this properly (Managedesk) has some probelems with explorer and
I'd prefer one that could perform drag and drop of files between desktops (I
could do this on RISC OS in 1992).

Does anyone have any virtual desktop recomendations that are revolution
friendly? IE put all the rev windows in one screen per running revolution.
This is handy when working on 2-3 rev apps.

All the best
Bob

Re: Revolution friendly virtual desktop managers. WinXP

Jon-3
Bob:

If these desktop managers work for everything BUT Rev, does that say
something? I'm always annoyed when I <alt><tab> away from Rev and then
try to <alt><tab> back, only to discover that 1) most of the Rev windows
remain hidden, and 2) the Rev window that does appear is rarely the one
I was using most recently. I then have to manually start hiding windows
until I can work in Rev again.  To be honest, I would be hard pressed to
write such a mis-behaving program in Windows if I were trying to.

Perhaps another approach would be to lobby Rev to try to make the entire
IDE more friendly in this particular regard.

Jon

You wrote:

> Bob:

Hi Jon

> If these desktop managers work for everything BUT Rev, does that say
> something?

Well not exactly, they also dont always work with GIMP. However The one I am
using seems to be OK-ish now. There must have been a conflict with another
app. Mind you still not as good as the RISC OS implementation.

>I'm always annoyed when I <alt><tab> away from Rev and then try
> to <alt><tab> back, only to discover that 1) most of the Rev windows
> remain hidden, and 2) the Rev window that does appear is rarely the one I
> was using most recently. I then have to manually start hiding windows
> until I can work in Rev again.

I do have slight annoyances, not with this particular scenario but others,
however, this is only because I have multiple instances of rev running. Just
my preference, and indeed there are benefits to not do this, stack swapping
being one particular example.

> To be honest, I would be hard pressed to
> write such a mis-behaving program in Windows if I were trying to.

Well all my questions can be answered with virtual desktops. Perhaps it is
because my original computing environment was so lean in memory useage
(Easiwriter reads/writes word2003 and is only 800K) that I grew up on a
system with 2-3 monitors or 6-9 virtual desktops. I habe now been incluined
to go to the virtual desktop route again and am instantly more productive.
But really I'm pretty laid back about things, and actually only interested
in a virtual desktop manager. :-)

As for rev being poorly written, well I think it is actually marvelous. It
has its problems but so do other things. Probably from a Pro point of view
it may be slightly irritating when seing all these windows; however, from my
point of view, I actually love the ease of writing transcript and I'm not
annoyed by the IDE.

> Perhaps another approach would be to lobby Rev to try to make the entire
> IDE more friendly in this particular regard.

Considering the amount of money they make in comparison to Microsoft,
perhaps I should lobby MS to get virtual desktops implemented.

Anyway: Every cloud has a silver lining. Or as Monty Python suggested I
should "Always look on the bright side.....". I now have virtual desktops,
just not the ideal one.

All the best
Bob; Sunny (honest) Scotland

> Jon
>

> Bob Hartley wrote:
>
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I am looking for a virtual desktop manager for windowsXP. Now the reason
> > that this has relevance to the runrev list is, some of these don't hide
> > all the runrev palletes on switching screens. The one I prefer at the
> > moment that does do this properly (Managedesk) has some probelems with
> > explorer and I'd prefer one that could perform drag and drop of files
> > between desktops (I could do this on RISC OS in 1992).
> >
> > Does anyone have any virtual desktop recomendations that are revolution
> > friendly? IE put all the rev windows in one screen per running
> > revolution. This is handy when working on 2-3 rev apps.
> >
> > All the best Bob _______________________________________________
> > use-revolution mailing list [hidden email] Please visit
> > this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription
> > preferences: http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

Re: Revolution friendly virtual desktop managers. WinXP

Chipp Walters
Already done:

See Deskman at:

-Chipp

You wrote:

> Already done:
>
> See Deskman at:

I Chipp.
Thanks for the info.
I've seen that one before. When you change screens it doesn't clear the
iconbar.

The other one I have is only $35 so not too bad.

cheers
Bob