Revolution unbooted

corvideon
Hi

Please excuse my intrusion. I have been lurking around the edge of the
runrev community for a little while. I have been playing around with
runrev on windows/linux and I am very impressed. I really think this
product could have some potential in my business.

I have a small query though

Can anybody comment on the stability of a runrev app (connected through
ODBC to SQL Server)  running on a linux/windows box for many many days
without rebooting? Are memory leaks a problem? I am looking into
developing something for a client which could potential be left running
for a considerable number of days.

All help gratefully appreciated :) Please free to email me privately if
you have any specific advice that may be OT on the list.

Regards

Seamus Brady

--
seamus brady
managing director

Re: Revolution unbooted

mwieder
Seamus-

Tuesday, July 12, 2005, 9:57:10 AM, you wrote:

SB> Can anybody comment on the stability of a runrev app (connected through
SB> ODBC to SQL Server)  running on a linux/windows box for many many days
SB> without rebooting? Are memory leaks a problem? I am looking into
SB> developing something for a client which could potential be left running
SB> for a considerable number of days.

I would *never* run a windows box for several days without rebooting.
Windows needs to be rebooted regularly in order to rebuild its driver
database, maintain the registry, etc. That's part of why it takes so
long to boot up. If you prevent this from taking place the system can
get seriously messed up.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Revolution unbooted

Jon-3
Mark:

I run my Windows XP box (and ran my Windows 2000 box) for 1-2 weeks at a
time.  Eventually, something becomes unstable, and I have to re-boot,
but often I only have to re-bot because I install a patch.  I think your
pessimism about Windows (at least in this regard) is a bit excessive.

:)

Jon

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Seamus-
>
>Tuesday, July 12, 2005, 9:57:10 AM, you wrote:
>
>SB> Can anybody comment on the stability of a runrev app (connected through
>SB> ODBC to SQL Server)  running on a linux/windows box for many many days
>SB> without rebooting? Are memory leaks a problem? I am looking into
>SB> developing something for a client which could potential be left running
>SB> for a considerable number of days.
>
>I would *never* run a windows box for several days without rebooting.
>Windows needs to be rebooted regularly in order to rebuild its driver
>database, maintain the registry, etc. That's part of why it takes so
>long to boot up. If you prevent this from taking place the system can
>get seriously messed up.

Re: Revolution unbooted

Chipp Walters
Mark,

I concur with Jon. I regularly use 3 separate Windows XP machines, and
multiple programs on each and never find the NEED TO reboot them, other
than for service patches and app installs.

best,

Chipp

Jon wrote:

> Mark:
>
> I run my Windows XP box (and ran my Windows 2000 box) for 1-2 weeks at a
> time.  Eventually, something becomes unstable, and I have to re-boot,
> but often I only have to re-bot because I install a patch.  I think your
> pessimism about Windows (at least in this regard) is a bit excessive.
>
> :)
>
> Jon
>

> Mark Wieder wrote:

>> I would *never* run a windows box for several days without rebooting.
>> Windows needs to be rebooted regularly in order to rebuild its driver
>> database, maintain the registry, etc. That's part of why it takes so
>> long to boot up. If you prevent this from taking place the system can
>> get seriously messed up.

Re: Revolution unbooted

mwieder
Jon, Chipp-

Monday, July 18, 2005, 4:11:17 PM, you wrote:

CW> I concur with Jon. I regularly use 3 separate Windows XP machines, and
CW> multiple programs on each and never find the NEED TO reboot them, other
CW> than for service patches and app installs.

The *need* to reboot them is subtler than that. Windows is a set of
multi-level interdependent drivers and libraries that is dynamically
rebuilt each time Windows reboots. My rule of thumb when making system
changes is to reboot three times - each successive boot builds on the
previous dependency model. Things can get a bit tenuous if Windows
isn't allowed to reassure itself every so often about what's holding
it up. Michael Swaine had a good writeup of the process in an article
a while back called "House of Cards", but I can't find a reference to
it at the moment.

Granted my rebooting every day my be a bit compulsive, but I figure
it's a good habit to get into and this ensures that it gets done.

Jon - your "eventually something becomes unstable" is *exactly* what
I'm talking about.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

RE: Revolution unbooted

MisterX
Mark,

No offense meant but in 5 years of NT server maintenance,
i've never heard such non-sense.

we run servers for 5-6 months non-stop and except for service packs
or security fixes, there is absolutely no need to reboot them EVER.

3 times??? woah! I wonder who gave you that idea... ;)

Now, these are dedicated servers - my home computer is another mess
and we're talking lots of stuff running... But i never reboot unless
i really need to.

Micheal Swaine is a Mac bigot and i've never seen a response from him
or a non-biased article from him.

Believe me, 1 reboot is sufficient - windows does its cleanups before
boot and after installations (if the installer does).

Have you seen a difference between 1, dos or 3 reboots?
I haven't in 5 years ;) - This is not MacOS (where sometimes 2 reboots
were better than 1 under some "extension" conditions.)

Im sure you'll find the right information at technet.microsoft.com.

cheers
Xavier

MacOS, NT System engineer by trade

Re: Revolution unbooted

Dan Shafer
Michael is a friend and colleague and I've never heard him
characterized as biased. Maybe the problem is he tells a truth you
can't or don't want to hear, Xavier!

:-D

Dan

On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:58 PM, MisterX wrote:

> Micheal Swaine is a Mac bigot and i've never seen a response from him
> or a non-biased article from him.

Re: Revolution unbooted

Chipp Walters
Michael Swaine unbiased? Hmmmm. I'll file that under I believe it when I
see it. He's been a 'Mac guy' as long as you have, Dan! Frankly, I don't
no anyone who's truly 'unbiased' when it comes to Mac vs PC.

Besides Dan, you don't honestly believe the nonsense Mark is talking
about..having to reboot Windows every couple of days.

Mark, all due respect, I think you need to 'upgrade' your hardware
and/or software. We have Hemingway running non-stop 24/7 on a Windows
server and only need to reboot when installing service patches. It
literally runs months and months w/out a reboot.

-Chipp

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Michael is a friend and colleague and I've never heard him
> characterized as biased. Maybe the problem is he tells a truth you
> can't or don't want to hear, Xavier!

Re: Revolution unbooted

Richard Gaskin
FWIW, I used to reboot my Win95 machine regularly.

But then again, I used to reboot my Mac OS 9 machine regularly too. :)

With OS X and XP, I don't reboot any more.

Maybe Swain should upgrade his PC?

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: Revolution unbooted

Jon-3
Mark:

My only point was that "eventually" is measured in weeks here, not in
hours or days. With Win 98, it was often measured in minutes.

:)

Jon

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Jon, Chipp-
>
>Monday, July 18, 2005, 4:11:17 PM, you wrote:
>
>CW> I concur with Jon. I regularly use 3 separate Windows XP machines, and
>CW> multiple programs on each and never find the NEED TO reboot them, other
>CW> than for service patches and app installs.
>
>The *need* to reboot them is subtler than that. Windows is a set of
>multi-level interdependent drivers and libraries that is dynamically
>rebuilt each time Windows reboots. My rule of thumb when making system
>changes is to reboot three times - each successive boot builds on the
>previous dependency model. Things can get a bit tenuous if Windows
>isn't allowed to reassure itself every so often about what's holding
>it up. Michael Swaine had a good writeup of the process in an article
>a while back called "House of Cards", but I can't find a reference to
>it at the moment.
>
>Granted my rebooting every day my be a bit compulsive, but I figure
>it's a good habit to get into and this ensures that it gets done.
>
>Jon - your "eventually something becomes unstable" is *exactly* what
>I'm talking about.

RE: Revolution unbooted

MisterX

yep, sorry, i guess we had to read
that Swaine remark with twist of sarcasm ;)

X)

Dan-

Monday, July 18, 2005, 11:33:36 PM, you wrote:

DS> Michael is a friend and colleague and I've never heard him
DS> characterized as biased. Maybe the problem is he tells a truth you
DS> can't or don't want to hear, Xavier!

Why, Dan, you almost make being biased sound like a bad thing... <g>

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Revolution unbooted

mwieder
Richard-

Monday, July 18, 2005, 11:52:37 PM, you wrote:

RG> FWIW, I used to reboot my Win95 machine regularly.

RG> But then again, I used to reboot my Mac OS 9 machine regularly too. :)

RG> With OS X and XP, I don't reboot any more.

To be fair, the article I'm thinking of probably *was* vintage Windows
98 (so twentieth-century). I do have to say that the NT-based products
are much more stable over the long run. But as this is somewhat OT,
I'm ducking out of here.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Revolution unbooted

Dan Shafer
Depends on your point of view, I guess, but then *that* would be
biased. Sigh.

On Jul 19, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Why, Dan, you almost make being biased sound like a bad thing... <g>
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.revolutionpros.com, Click "My Stuff"