Revolution vs Visual Basic

Re: Font Dialog Box

scott@elementarysoftware.com
Nice job, Garrett!  What a slick little tool.

-Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust !)
web     http://elementarysoftware.com/
email   [hidden email]

On Mar 8, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> Based on some of my own code and code shared by Chipp Walters, I
> put together a font dialog that removes unicode fonts from the
> list, and then represents each font in it's own font in the list.
>
> Uploaded to the "user spaces" as "Stack:  fontDialogBasic" and
> "Title: Basic font dialog example"
>
> If you have problems using the "user spaces", download from here:
> http://www.paraboliclogic.com/misc/fontDialogBasic.rev
>
> Thanks Chipp for code that started this.  :-)
>
> -Garrett

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

Kay C Lan
On 3/9/06, Mikey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Revolution's grandfather, HyperCard made the task of building
> prototypes a trivial enterprise.  Revolution is also easy to use to
> build prototypes.  The overhead that is usually associated with
> building a project is for the most part abssent.  You don't have to
> cast and instantiate anything.  Types are context-implied (see my
> previous example).  In short it is REALLY easy to build something
> quickly.

So is this good or bad?

Last month I visited my brother and took my mountain bike so we could ride
some trails. For various reasons my bike had road tyres on it so when I
arrived I fitted some new nobby tyres.

I enjoy cycling and have one of those cyclecomputers so I can record my
rides. Unfortunately I'd long lost the manual for the cyclecomputer so
couldn't modify the tyre diameter to reflect the new tyres. If you hit
80kmph you don't want it to only say 78.5:-) So for a couple of days I just
jotted down the ride details on a piece of paper.

Then one day when I had two hours to spare I whipped up a quick stack that
consisted of two buttons - one to select the tyre size in the computer, the
other to select the tyre size on the bike. Then 10 fields, basically 6
fields to enter the data in and 4 fields to show the 'corrected' data.
Fields like 'Time' didn't need correcting.

The longest part of the whole process was finding (on the internet, where I
could have found the procedure to enter the new diameter into my
cyclecomputer) and typing the 52 standard tyre sizes into a custom property,
the single property being used by both buttons, and then creating the switch
statement to relate these tyre sizes to their specific diameters!

The next longest part was organising to transfer the data into the stack
which stores the record of all my rides - a stack I created about 3 months
ago to takeover from an AppleWorks spreadsheet:-)

The fields and buttons only took minutes to place and size and the single
function, a simple percentage adjustment which was used by all fields that
needed correcting, took only a little longer. Could have saved on typing if
I wasn't so partial for very descriptive variable names like
tMyTyreSizeStoredInCyclecomputer

Of course I do get a real kick out of the comments I get from my brother
(always ribbing me about Macs being toys, he sells U$80,000 - 140,000+
software for a living) - for a Mac user you sure seem to tinker with the
insides a lot.

So my problem with this is, I must produce one of these every couple of
weeks - OoooHhh look a problem, I could write a stack to solve that - but I
never actually FINISH anything because I've 'discovered' another problem I
could solve with REV!

I never get around to building proper menus, the aesthetic leave a lot to be
desired and I could count on one hand how many standalones I've actually
produced. I have illusions of grandeur, that one day I'll make something for
someone else, which is why I entered all 52 tyre sizes rather than just the
two I needed.

And I know I'm not the only one, I take great reassurance from the sporadic
post I read of people who run everything within the IDE because their
solutions are only for them!

 So consider yourself warned;-)

Re: Unicode Font List (Was Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic)

Kenji Kojima
>  Richard Gaskin wrote:

>  Now what do we do to get a Font menu to display the font names
> correctly?

Japanese sample:
go url "http://www.kenjikojima.com/runrev/handbook/download/
jpnFontmenu.rev"

--
Kenji Kojima
CHIBI NINJA free:

Re: Unicode Font List (Was Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic)

Richard Gaskin
Kenji Kojima wrote:
>>  Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>>  Now what do we do to get a Font menu to display the font names
>> correctly?
>>

> Japanese sample:
> go url
> "http://www.kenjikojima.com/runrev/handbook/download/jpnFontmenu.rev"

Nice work -- thanks.

Is there a way to do that for mixed Unicode encodings, so that we could
show each font in its own language?

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: 2.7 Anomaly -- barber pole and table field inside combo box

Stephen Barncard
Aha! I see this again in the Japanese Font menu just mentioned.

Sometimes combo boxes look really strange - like the field part in
the control has huge  table-like borders plus a 'barber-pole' graphic
behind it (usually used for progress indication). A real mess and one
can't read the field text. Has this been reported?

sqb
--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o

Re: 2.7 Anomaly -- barber pole and table field inside combo box

J. Landman Gay
Stephen Barncard wrote:
> Aha! I see this again in the Japanese Font menu just mentioned.
>
> Sometimes combo boxes look really strange - like the field part in the
> control has huge  table-like borders plus a 'barber-pole' graphic behind
> it (usually used for progress indication). A real mess and one can't
> read the field text. Has this been reported?

Yes. I saw it once (and bugzillaed it), and it has come into the tech
queue a couple of times too. One of the RR people also reports he's seen
it. The problem is -- no one can reproduce it at will, and restarting
the app clears the problem. If you get a recipe, do tell. I haven't been
able to reproduce it again since it happened that one time, and I don't
know what triggered it.

By the way, it isn't just combo boxes. I saw it in the dictionary and
inspector.

Re: 2.7 Anomaly -- barber pole and table field inside combo box

mwieder
Jacque-

> Yes. I saw it once (and bugzillaed it), and it has come into the tech

I got it and BZed it as well, but I couldn't reproduce it.

--
 -Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

Dan Shafer-2
Just by way of explanation....

I was responding to the specific user's specific question. If you come from
a high comfort level in VB and you are building Windows-only apps, then the
result is likely as I describe. For anyone whose situation does not fit that
profile, my comment is less applicable or even totally wrong and irrelevant.

On 3/8/06, Mikey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > A lot of what you are looking for in Rev isn't built in but as others
> have
> > shown in their answers here, creating the functionality in Rev is close
> > trivial. But the programming paradigm in Revolution with its Transcript
> > xTalk language is so substantially different from the approaches taken
> by VB
> > that twisting your head around it may prove challenging. That challenge
> is
> > definitely worthwhile if you plan to create cross-platform software but
> if
> > you don't, I'm not sure it's worth it.
>
> I would tend to agree with and disagree with this statement at the
> same time.

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

Dan Shafer-2
There is also a wonderful InstallGadget Rev app that wraps the INNO
installer nicely. Available from Sweat Technologies:
http://www.sweattechnologies.com/InstallGadget/

On 3/8/06, Bob Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Haitham wrote:
>
> >Question (6):
>
> >When we want to produce the program (or application) that is created by
> >Revolution, we can produce it as EXE file (in windows). But what if we
> >need to make some kind of Installation or Setup? Can we do it?
>
> >What about if the users want to uninstall our program (or software)?
> >Can they?

> For a demo INNO setup of a Rev standalone, navigate to:-
>
> http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/downloads/
>
> - and download the file:
>
> Picture Chooser Widget for Windows XP or 2000_setup.exe
>
> It includes an uninstall.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob Warren

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

Dan Shafer-2
Thanks for sharing that delightful story, Kay. I'm sure it resonates with a
LOT of us.

Haitham wrote:
 > When we want to produce the program (or application) that is
 > created by Revolution, we can produce it as EXE file (in
 > windows). But what if we need to make some kind of Installation
 > or Setup? Can we do it?

You can use any common installer system for that just like you would
anything else.

I used to use Wise Install, and while I think it's a wonderful tool I
needed tighter integration with my automated build system so I'm writing
my own installer. Only a couple days' work and I'm almost done.

In fact, the Rev 2.7 installer was also made with Rev.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

David Burgun

On 8 Mar 2006, at 14:45, Mark Smith wrote:

> A little out of my depth in saying this, but I don't think
> Revolution would be optimal for writing large and complex image
> manipulation routines, for example.
>
> I'll leave it there, as I have no experience of VB, so perhaps
> others can offer useful comparisons.

I've used a combination of RunRev to run the GUI and a C/C++ External
to do the image processing. This combination works really well giving
you the ease and speed of implementation in RunRev and the speed of C/
C++ where it counts.

All the Best
Dave

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

xtalkprogrammer
Can you tell us more about that external?

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 4-mei-2006, om 14:07 heeft David Burgun het volgende geschreven:

> I've used a combination of RunRev to run the GUI and a C/C++
> External to do the image processing. This combination works really
> well giving you the ease and speed of implementation in RunRev and
> the speed of C/C++ where it counts.
>
> All the Best
> Dave

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

dsn-less connections

viktoras d.
Hi,

can anyone give any hint on how (and if) is it possible to arrange a
dsn-less connection from transcript. I have a bunch of text files that
represent a simple relational database. Does Revolution have any internal
SQL module (like Perl's dbi), so I could sql-query text tables directly
without any connection to external drivers? Or via external
ODBC/MDAC/ADODB/whatever driver (like Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)),
but without registering the database for the system, so I can distribute it
with the executable and run anywhere without any pre-configuration.

As always, thank you all very much for your help!
Best wishes
Viktoras

Re: Revolution vs Visual Basic

masmit
Of course, when I wrote 'Revolution', I meant 'Transcript', but now
Transcript is called Revolution, I can pretend I was right all along!

Best,

Mark