Roadmap: "Automated REST API wrapping"?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
under "Planned":

   Automated REST API wrapping

Sounds enticing.  What is it?

And is there even a loose, no-I-won't-hold-you-to-it-but-just-curious
target version?

If it's what I think it is it may be a real boon to getting people to
adopt good REST practices.

Re: Roadmap: "Automated REST API wrapping"?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
This was discussed at LCG but I'll get the month wrong - August?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
> under "Planned":
>
>   Automated REST API wrapping
>
> Sounds enticing.  What is it?
>
> And is there even a loose, no-I-won't-hold-you-to-it-but-just-curious
> target version?
>
> If it's what I think it is it may be a real boon to getting people to
> adopt good REST practices.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
 >> under "Planned":
 >>
 >>   Automated REST API wrapping
 >>
 >> Sounds enticing.  What is it?
 >> And is there even a loose, no-I-won't-hold-you-to-it-but-just-curious
 >> target version?
 >
 > This was discussed at LCG but I'll get the month wrong - August?

I could go hunt it down, but since we're here and for the benefit of
those who may not have access to those for-fee-only sessions, could
someone working on that offer at least a brief summary here?

Re: Roadmap: "Automated REST API wrapping"?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I believe from my take on the discussion at the LCG, that the api wrapping
will be for specific common and widely used api's., so automatic wrapping my
be  little misleading .

-----
Andy Piddock

TinyIDE  a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder.
http://www.pointandsee.co.uk  - made with LiveCode

On 2018-01-17 04:29, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
>>> under "Planned":
>>>
>>>   Automated REST API wrapping
>>>
>>> Sounds enticing.  What is it?
>>> And is there even a loose, no-I-won't-hold-you-to-it-but-just-curious
>>> target version?
>>
>> This was discussed at LCG but I'll get the month wrong - August?
>
> I could go hunt it down, but since we're here and for the benefit of
> those who may not have access to those for-fee-only sessions, could
> someone working on that offer at least a brief summary here?

This is referring to LiveCode Connect - which I did a prototype for in
an LCG2017 session...

Its currently pegged for 'completion' in Q2 this year for LC9.1, and
assuming things align, we will likely have at least one more talk on it
in LCG2018, if not two (although the latter two things, in particular,
are subject to change).

LC Connect uses Swagger/OpenAPI specs to generate script libraries which
wrap the APIs.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Roadmap: "Automated REST API wrapping"?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Ah - i've been working on that - so would be good to find out more. Will be
doing a hackathon at the end of the month to make it more robust. If there
is something planned that we can use instead of build from scratch that
would be good. Ours is a docker based open source implementation.

Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > On 2018-01-17 04:29, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >>> The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
 >>> under "Planned":
 >>>
 >>>   Automated REST API wrapping
 >>>
 >>> Sounds enticing.  What is it?
 >
 > This is referring to LiveCode Connect - which I did a prototype for in
 > an LCG2017 session...
 >
 > Its currently pegged for 'completion' in Q2 this year for LC9.1, and
 > assuming things align, we will likely have at least one more talk on
 > it in LCG2018, if not two (although the latter two things, in
 > particular, are subject to change).
 >
 > LC Connect uses Swagger/OpenAPI specs to generate script libraries
 > which wrap the APIs.

Sounds very cool.  What is the "automatic" part?  How does it map
actions and endpoints to my schema?

Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > On 2018-01-17 04:29, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
 >> under "Planned":
 >>
 >>   Automated REST API wrapping
 >>
 >> Sounds enticing.  What is it?
 >
 > This is referring to LiveCode Connect - which I did a prototype for in
 > an LCG2017 session...

Where can I access the LG2017 sessions?

I couldn't find a link on the public site or on my account page.

Re: Roadmap: "Automated REST API wrapping"?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I think it was part of a two-fer that Mark and Kevin were doing during the
keynote in either July or August or September or October or November

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Waddingham wrote:
>
> > On 2018-01-17 04:29, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> >> The LC Roadmap at <https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/> includes
> >> under "Planned":
> >>
> >>   Automated REST API wrapping
> >>
> >> Sounds enticing.  What is it?
> >
> > This is referring to LiveCode Connect - which I did a prototype for in
> > an LCG2017 session...
>
> Where can I access the LG2017 sessions?
>
> I couldn't find a link on the public site or on my account page.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Roadmap: "Automated REST API wrapping"?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks, Mike.  Where do I find the LG 2017 videos?