Run External Editor

Richmond Mathewson-2
Just had a poke around in Metacard 4.5 and opened the menuItem

/Tools/Script Profiler

and then clicked on the button "Edit Script"

in the scriptEditor there is a menuItem

/Tools/Run External Editor

unfortunately in Linux (UbuntuStudio 13.10) clicking on it seemed to do
little but
close the inbuilt scriptEditor.

Now, it does seem odd that that possibility was there a while back in
the Metacard IDE
which is supposedly "more primitive" than the LiveCode IDE, yet is not
rolled into the
Livecode IDE.

I would be most grateful if someone (Klaus, Jacque, Richard) could
explain how one
goes about connecting-up an external scriptEditor so that when one clicks on
/Tools/Run External Editor and external editor is launched ad the script
under consideration
is pasted across to it, and in the other direction once editing has
finished.

Re: Run External Editor

Richmond Mathewson-2
I have just been comparing Clarisworks 4 with Appleworks 6 over on my
re-classicised G3 iMac,
and found out something I had forgotten. Somewhere between version 4 and
6 Apple "quietly"
dropped the ability to make macros . . .

  . . . I wonder why?

And I wonder if the "why" might not somehow impinge on a future LC
scriptEditor that might like to have the capability for end-users to
record macros.

Re: Run External Editor

J. Landman Gay
On 10/16/13 8:55 AM, Richmond wrote:
> I have just been comparing Clarisworks 4 with Appleworks 6 over on my
> re-classicised G3 iMac,
> and found out something I had forgotten. Somewhere between version 4 and
> 6 Apple "quietly"
> dropped the ability to make macros . . .
>
>   . . . I wonder why?

They may have noticed MS Word macros turning into malware.

Re: Run External Editor

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/16/2013 07:20 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 10/16/13 8:55 AM, Richmond wrote:
>> I have just been comparing Clarisworks 4 with Appleworks 6 over on my
>> re-classicised G3 iMac,
>> and found out something I had forgotten. Somewhere between version 4 and
>> 6 Apple "quietly"
>> dropped the ability to make macros . . .
>>
>>   . . . I wonder why?
>
> They may have noticed MS Word macros turning into malware.

That seems to make sense.

Now what is to stop Livecode macros not doing the same thing?

Re: Run External Editor

Mike Kerner
You don't have to be able to record macros if you can write them, and they
don't have to have any functionality beyond what limits you want.

Here's what 4D does:
http://doc.4d.com/4D-Design-Reference-13/Editing-methods/Creating-and-using-macros.300-832655.en.html

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM, J. Landman Gay
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 10/16/13 8:55 AM, Richmond wrote:
>
>> I have just been comparing Clarisworks 4 with Appleworks 6 over on my
>> re-classicised G3 iMac,
>> and found out something I had forgotten. Somewhere between version 4 and
>> 6 Apple "quietly"
>> dropped the ability to make macros . . .
>>
>>   . . . I wonder why?
>>

> They may have noticed MS Word macros turning into malware.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Run External Editor

Mike Kerner
and here's a sample macro file:

<macros>
//
// Macros.xml file.
//
// Description
// This file is created in the 4D folder at the first launch of the
database.
// It automatically creates several macro commands that can be enriched or
// modified. You can also add all the macros required for your own
development
// needs manually.
//
// List of default macro commands.
//
// Logical blocks
// --------------
// If "If" logical block
// IfElse "If" logical block with an "Else" proposition
// CaseOf "Case" logical block
// While "While" logical block
// For "For" logical block
// Repeat "Repeat" logical block
//
// Frequently-used database blocks
// -------------------------------
// "LoopRecord" Loop on a table selection with saving of
//            record (use a table name as selection)
// "LoopRecordNoSave" Loop on a table selection without saving
//            records (use a table name as selection)
//
// Useful blocks
// -------------
// "Header"    Header for method name
//
// "CodeModif" Adds 4D user name and date for development
//            in multi-user environment

// Mikey----------------------------------------------------------

<macro name="If Mikey">
<text>
If (<selection/>)
<caret/>
Else ` NOT (<selection/>)

End If `<selection/>
</text>
</macro>

<macro name="For Records In Selection">
<text>
For ($i;1;Records In Selection (<selection/>))
   GOTO SELECTED RECORD (<selection/>;$i)
   <caret/>
End for `$i;1;Records In Selection(<selection/>)
</text>
</macro>

<macro name="Case Mikey">
<text>
Case of
   :(<selection/>)
      <caret/>
   Else

End Case
</text>
</macro>

<macro name="While Mikey">
<text>
While (<selection/>)
   <caret/>
End While `<selection/>
</text>
</macro>

<macro name="Record Compare n Dare">
<text>
$testVal:=""
$tablePtr:=Table(Table(-><Selection/>))

for ($i;1;records in selection ($tablePtr->))
   GOTO Selected Record ($tablePtr->;$i)
   If ($testVal#<selection/>)
      $testVal:=<selection/>
      <caret/>
   Else ` $testVal=<selection/>

   End If `($testVal#<selection/>)
end for `($i;1;records in selection ($tablePtr->))
</text>
</macro>

// Logical blocks ________________________________________________
<macro name="If">
<text>
If(<caret/>)

End if

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="IfElse">
<text>
If(<caret/>)

Else

End if

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="CaseOf">
<text>
Case of
:(<caret/>)

End case

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="While">
<text>
While(<caret/>)

End while

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="For">
<text>
For(<caret/>;;)

End for

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="Repeat">
<text>
Repeat

Until(<caret/>)

</text>
</macro>

// Frequent database blocks ______________________________________
<macro name="LoopRecord">
<text>
While (Not(End selection(<selection/>)))
<caret/>
Save Record(<selection/>)
Next Record(<selection/>)
End while

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="LoopRecordNoSave">
<text>
While (Not(End selection(<selection/>)))
<caret/>
Next Record(<selection/>)
End while

</text>
</macro>

// Useful blocks _________________________________________________
<macro name="Header">
<text>
` ----------------------------------------------------
` User name (OS): <user_os/>
` Date and time: <date format="0"/>, <time format="0"/>
` ----------------------------------------------------
` Method: <method_name/>
` Description
` <caret/>
`
` Parameters
` ----------------------------------------------------

</text>
</macro>

<macro name="CodeModif">
<text>
` Modified by: <user_os/> (<date format="1"/>)

</text>
</macro>

</macros>

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Run External Editor

Stelios Stylianou
Has there been any reply on how to use an external editor per Richmond's description?

Stelios

On Oct 15, 2013, at 1:18 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just had a poke around in Metacard 4.5 and opened the menuItem
>
> /Tools/Script Profiler
>
> and then clicked on the button "Edit Script"
>
> in the scriptEditor there is a menuItem
>
> /Tools/Run External Editor
>
> unfortunately in Linux (UbuntuStudio 13.10) clicking on it seemed to do little but
> close the inbuilt scriptEditor.
>
> Now, it does seem odd that that possibility was there a while back in the Metacard IDE
> which is supposedly "more primitive" than the LiveCode IDE, yet is not rolled into the
> Livecode IDE.
>
> I would be most grateful if someone (Klaus, Jacque, Richard) could explain how one
> goes about connecting-up an external scriptEditor so that when one clicks on
> /Tools/Run External Editor and external editor is launched ad the script under consideration
> is pasted across to it, and in the other direction once editing has finished.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Run External Editor

Ken Ray

On Oct 17, 2013, at 11:45 AM, Stelios Stylianou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has there been any reply on how to use an external editor per Richmond's description?

There's an implementation of a plugin called the stsMLXEditor that lets you use an external editor, but it hasn't been updated in years. If you're interested you can find more about it here:

http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/livecode/downloads/stsMLXEditor.htm

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]