RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Richmond Mathewson-2
Having found that it is well-nigh impossible to copy-paste from the
RunRev 4 script editor
in Linux (GNOME), I thought I would crack out the old script editor:

1. RunRev 2.2.1: no joy.

2. Metacard 2.5: no joy.

What does this tell us?

Well the most obvious thing is that something as fundamental as copy-paste
has not been sorted out since the days of Metacard is a pretty awful
inditement of . . . .

What is clear is that various users of RunRev on Linux have worked
out various "fiddles" to get round the shortcomings related to fonts,
copy-pasting and so on . . .

However, if every software compnay relied on end-users being prepared to
work out "fiddles" to get their software to behave the way it should . . . .

Now, THAT is a grumble!

Re: RunRev Script Editor and Linux

J. Landman Gay
Richmond wrote:
> Having found that it is well-nigh impossible to copy-paste from the
> RunRev 4 script editor
> in Linux (GNOME), I thought I would crack out the old script editor:
>
> 1. RunRev 2.2.1: no joy.
>
> 2. Metacard 2.5: no joy.
>
> What does this tell us?

It tells us that for some clipboard managers, you need to try the
solution Pierre mentioned. The choice of software components that makes
Linux so appealing to its users is also the reason that Rev doesn't work
with everything. If you're using one of the more universally popular
managers then bug-report it.

I know that when MetaCard was in active development, the script editor
in Linux worked fine because Dr Raney did all his development on that
platform. So what's happened in between is that the clipboard manager
has changed, or you are using one he wasn't using.

BTW, you can save yourself some trouble next time if you just do
something like this from the message box:

  put the script of btn 1 into url ("file:myScript.txt")

I know you shouldn't have to, but it will save you some time.

On 07/12/2010 08:54 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Richmond wrote:
>> Having found that it is well-nigh impossible to copy-paste from the
>> RunRev 4 script editor
>> in Linux (GNOME), I thought I would crack out the old script editor:
>>
>> 1. RunRev 2.2.1: no joy.
>>
>> 2. Metacard 2.5: no joy.
>>
>> What does this tell us?
>
> It tells us that for some clipboard managers, you need to try the
> solution Pierre mentioned. The choice of software components that
> makes Linux so appealing to its users is also the reason that Rev
> doesn't work with everything. If you're using one of the more
> universally popular managers then bug-report it.
>
> I know that when MetaCard was in active development, the script editor
> in Linux worked fine because Dr Raney did all his development on that
> platform. So what's happened in between is that the clipboard manager
> has changed, or you are using one he wasn't using.
>
> BTW, you can save yourself some trouble next time if you just do
> something like this from the message box:
>
>  put the script of btn 1 into url ("file:myScript.txt")
>
> I know you shouldn't have to, but it will save you some time.

Thanks; Yes it will . . .  :)

Although I do wonder why most Linux apps seem not to jalouse at any of the
clipboard managers that come as standard with GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXCD and
so: just been through about 5 Window managers trying a 'cocktail' of Linux
apps. While RunRev jalouses at all of them without 'fiddling'.

Re: RunRev Script Editor and Linux

mwieder
Richmond-

Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:14:40 AM, you wrote:

> apps. While RunRev jalouses at all of them without 'fiddling'.

You might also try deleting your preferences file. There's a
long-standing bug where the copy-key-equivalent stops working, and
apparently it has something to do with the IDE's preferences.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 07/12/2010 09:20 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Richmond-
>
> Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:14:40 AM, you wrote:
>

>> apps. While RunRev jalouses at all of them without 'fiddling'.
>>
> You might also try deleting your preferences file. There's a
> long-standing bug where the copy-key-equivalent stops working, and
> apparently it has something to do with the IDE's preferences.

Just for fun, the preferences for RunRev are stored inside
an invisible folder inside your home folder:

/.runrev/revolution/studio/preferences

and it does not fix the copy-paste problem; just mucks up your
preferences . . .  :)

Re: RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Richmond Mathewson-2
Now things begin to look distinctly odd as:

I installed glipper to keep track of clipboard stuff.

I am unable to select anything in the script editor  (RunRev 4.0 GNOME),

I am able to select with RunRev 2.2.1,

I am able to paste from RR 2.2.1. into AbiWord, gEdit, Open Office and
MousePad

How much of this is owing to the presence of glipper I just don't know.

What does become clear with this 'little adventure' is that the problem
seems largely to lie with the 'new' script editor.

Re: RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Andre Garzia-3
Richmond,

you are not able to copy & paste in the editor, but can you copy and paste
from fields?

andre

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Now things begin to look distinctly odd as:
>
> I installed glipper to keep track of clipboard stuff.
>
> I am unable to select anything in the script editor  (RunRev 4.0 GNOME),
>
> I am able to select with RunRev 2.2.1,
>
> I am able to paste from RR 2.2.1. into AbiWord, gEdit, Open Office and
> MousePad
>
> How much of this is owing to the presence of glipper I just don't know.
>
> What does become clear with this 'little adventure' is that the problem
> seems largely to lie with the 'new' script editor.

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: RunRev Script Editor and Linux

G.W.Gaich
Richmond,

on my Linux machine (Ubuntu 10.04, Gnome) copy from the revolution
editor (ctrl-c and context menu copy) works for me. But then to paste
e.g. to gedit only works with the keyboard (crtl-v) but not with context
menu or edit menu.

Best Regards
Wolfgang

Am 12.07.2010 20:29, schrieb Richmond:

> On 07/12/2010 09:20 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>> Richmond-
>>
>> Monday, July 12, 2010, 11:14:40 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> apps. While RunRev jalouses at all of them without 'fiddling'.
>> You might also try deleting your preferences file. There's a
>> long-standing bug where the copy-key-equivalent stops working, and
>> apparently it has something to do with the IDE's preferences.
>>

> Just for fun, the preferences for RunRev are stored inside
> an invisible folder inside your home folder:
>
> /.runrev/revolution/studio/preferences
>
> and it does not fix the copy-paste problem; just mucks up your
> preferences . . .  :)

Re: RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Roger Eller
> Richmond,
>
> on my Linux machine (Ubuntu 10.04, Gnome) copy from the revolution
> editor (ctrl-c and context menu copy) works for me. But then to paste
> e.g. to gedit only works with the keyboard (crtl-v) but not with context
> menu or edit menu.
>
> Best Regards
> Wolfgang

I can confirm the same on my Ubuntu system. Also, I can paste any selected
text from Terminal, gEdit, or firefox by simply middle-clicking. You don't
even have to copy it first.  Just select and middle-click elsewhere.  That
is an old *nix trick that still works in Ubuntu.

~Roger Eller

Richmond wrote:

> Having found that it is well-nigh impossible to copy-paste from the
> RunRev 4 script editor
> in Linux (GNOME), I thought I would crack out the old script editor:
>
> 1. RunRev 2.2.1: no joy.
>
> 2. Metacard 2.5: no joy.
>
> What does this tell us?

It tells us that this needs further testing, because I just went into
Ubuntu 10.04 with Rev 4.0 and MC 4.0 and was able to copy and paste
scripts within each script editor, between them, and between each of
them and GEdit.

Not sure what's up with your setup, but it may be helpful to review the
details and compare with the experience of other GNOME users to pin down
the root cause.

  Fourth World

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> Having found that it is well-nigh impossible to copy-paste from the
>> RunRev 4 script editor
>> in Linux (GNOME), I thought I would crack out the old script editor:
>>
>> 1. RunRev 2.2.1: no joy.
>>
>> 2. Metacard 2.5: no joy.
>>
>> What does this tell us?
>
> It tells us that this needs further testing, because I just went into
> Ubuntu 10.04 with Rev 4.0 and MC 4.0 and was able to copy and paste
> scripts within each script editor, between them, and between each of
> them and GEdit.

I got curious, launched Ubuntu 10.04 with Rev 4.0.5dp3, and was able to
copy/paste to GEdit. As others have reported, in GEdit the menu command
for Paste was dimmed but the keyboard shortcut worked.

On 07/13/2010 05:50 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Richmond wrote:
>>
>>> Having found that it is well-nigh impossible to copy-paste from the
>>> RunRev 4 script editor
>>> in Linux (GNOME), I thought I would crack out the old script editor:
>>>
>>> 1. RunRev 2.2.1: no joy.
>>>
>>> 2. Metacard 2.5: no joy.
>>>
>>> What does this tell us?
>>
>> It tells us that this needs further testing, because I just went into
>> Ubuntu 10.04 with Rev 4.0 and MC 4.0 and was able to copy and paste
>> scripts within each script editor, between them, and between each of
>> them and GEdit.
>
> I got curious, launched Ubuntu 10.04 with Rev 4.0.5dp3, and was able
> to copy/paste to GEdit. As others have reported, in GEdit the menu
> command for Paste was dimmed but the keyboard shortcut worked.

Sorry to have taken so long to reply; "ran away" to our villa in the
country to pick apricots, peaches, plums and redcurrants; listen to the
birds sing, and read Herodotus: most therapeutic!

I stand corrected; up to a point at least:

I have had no difficulty copy-pasting between scripts when I COULD
select text; and I have
now isolated the incidence when one CANNOT copy text from the Script
editor (or at
least one incidence):

When Mozilla ThunderBird (my e-mail client) is running prior and during
launching of RunRev
I am unable to select text in the script editor; therefore unable to
paste it anywhere.

I have not had that problem between Mozilla ThunderBird and RunRev 4 on
the Mac.

Whether other apps interfere with copying from the script editor in
runRev 4 in this way
has yet to be seen.

Obviously gEdit is 'at fault' insofar as one cannot paste with a right
click drop-down menu, or
from the Edit menu of gEdit; only via Ctrl-V.

Richmond wrote:

> I have had no difficulty copy-pasting between scripts when I COULD
> select text; and I have
> now isolated the incidence when one CANNOT copy text from the Script
> editor (or at
> least one incidence):
>
> When Mozilla ThunderBird (my e-mail client) is running prior and during
> launching of RunRev
> I am unable to select text in the script editor; therefore unable to
> paste it anywhere.

That seems really bizarre. The script editor is just a field. Can you
select text in other fields in your stack when Thunderbird is running?

At least we're narrowing down the issue.

XML one-liner (if possible)

viktoras d.
err., what's the simplest way of displaying all contents of an XML
document in a rev field? e.g. getting a list of all elements with all
their attributes and values. Is there a simple way to do this - a one
liner probably ;-) ?

Viktoras

Re: XML one-liner (if possible)

Colin Holgate-2

On Jul 13, 2010, at 5:19 PM, viktoras d. wrote:

> err., what's the simplest way of displaying all contents of an XML document in a rev field? e.g. getting a list of all elements with all their attributes and values. Is there a simple way to do this - a one liner probably ;-) ?

put URL "http://www.apple.com/crossdomain.xml" into field 1_______________________________________________

Re: XML one-liner (if possible)

mwieder
viktoras-

> err., what's the simplest way of displaying all contents of an XML
> document in a rev field? e.g. getting a list of all elements with all
> their attributes and values. Is there a simple way to do this - a one
> liner probably ;-) ?

I'm not sure this can be done in one line, but...

place a browser control and a button onto your stack and then:

-- button scrips
on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
    local tBrowserID

    answer file "where is the file?"
    if it is not empty then
        put revBrowserOpen(the windowID of this stack, "file:" & it) into tBrowserID
        revBrowserSet tBrowserID, "rect", the rect of image "browserimage"

-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: XML one-liner (if possible)

viktoras d.
Thank you Colin, Mark!

Changing point of view is refreshing! I rolled out a solution which is
getting unreasonably complex using all the revXML stuff and finally got
suck... Now after seeing your examples I  realized that the simplest way
to display xml with known schema is to transform it by simply replacing
xml tags with html in the source text and setting htmltext of field to
it (!).

Best wishes!
Viktoras

Mark Wieder wrote:

> viktoras-
>
> Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 2:19:41 PM, you wrote:
>

>> err., what's the simplest way of displaying all contents of an XML
>> document in a rev field? e.g. getting a list of all elements with all
>> their attributes and values. Is there a simple way to do this - a one
>> liner probably ;-) ?
>>

> I'm not sure this can be done in one line, but...
>
> place a browser control and a button onto your stack and then:
>
> -- button scrips
> on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
>     local tBrowserID
>
>     answer file "where is the file?"
>     if it is not empty then
>         put revBrowserOpen(the windowID of this stack, "file:" & it) into tBrowserID
>         revBrowserSet tBrowserID, "rect", the rect of image "browserimage"
>     end if
> end mouseUp

Re: XML one-liner (if possible)

Colin Holgate-2

On Jul 13, 2010, at 6:35 PM, viktoras d. wrote:

> I  realized that the simplest way to display xml with known schema is to transform it by simply replacing xml tags with html in the source text and setting htmltext of field to it (!).

That sounds more complicated than my example. What is the overall goal? If it's just to look at the xml in a field, then my one liner would do that (so long as the xml file can be read as a URL). Do you want to just use some of the xml, or process it in some way?

Re: XML one-liner (if possible)

Sarah Reichelt-2
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:19 AM, viktoras d. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> err., what's the simplest way of displaying all contents of an XML document
> in a rev field? e.g. getting a list of all elements with all their
> attributes and values. Is there a simple way to do this - a one liner
> probably ;-) ?

Not a one-liner, but try this:

   put URL ("file:" & tFileName) into tData
   put revCreateXMLTree(tData, false, true, false) into tDocID
   put revXMLRootNode(tDocID) into tParentNode
   put revXMLText(tDocID, tParentNode, true) into tXML

After every call to a revXML function, you can check the result for
"xmlerr" which indicates a problem.

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: XML one-liner (if possible)

mwieder
Sarah-

> After every call to a revXML function, you can check the result for
> "xmlerr" which indicates a problem.

...with certain exceptions.

put revXMLNextSibling(tXMLID, tNode) into tNextNode

will return empty if there's no next sibling. So *mostly* you need to
check for "xmlerr" to see if you're done, and *sometimes* you also
need to check for empty or get stuck in an endless loop.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com
1234