Running revlets on the iPad

jim hurley
Sorry, but I'm a little behind the curve on this.

I know that we can't build for the iPod or iPad, but can we run
revlets using the plug-in for Safari?

I tried on my iPad and I got a screen asking me to download the plug-
in, but it didn't happen, i.e. the plug-in didn't download.

Jim Hurley

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Andre Garzia-3
Jim,

You can't run revlets on iPad... actually you can't run any safari plugin on
the iPad... RevWeb is for x86 only and even if they ever port it to ARM it
would not work on the iPhone/iPad because apple would not allow the
installation of the plugin.

:-/

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM, James Hurley <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sorry, but I'm a little behind the curve on this.
>
> I know that we can't build for the iPod or iPad, but can we run revlets
> using the plug-in for Safari?
>
> I tried on my iPad and I got a screen asking me to download the plug-in,
> but it didn't happen, i.e. the plug-in didn't download.
>
> Jim Hurley

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Colin Holgate-2

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:04 PM, James Hurley wrote:

> I tried on my iPad and I got a screen asking me to download the plug-in, but it didn't happen, i.e. the plug-in didn't download.

Plugins don't work on the iPhone or iPad.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 06/30/2010 09:10 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:04 PM, James Hurley wrote:
>

>> I tried on my iPad and I got a screen asking me to download the plug-in, but it didn't happen, i.e. the plug-in didn't download.
>>
> Plugins don't work on the iPhone or iPad.

This sounds all rather like negative ostension.

What DOES work on the iPhone or iPad that has NOT been made with
Apple's own xCode?

And, quite frankly, if Plugins don't work on those platforms they do look
"a bit flat" if one wants (especially with regard to the iPad) to use them
as effective web-browsers.

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Richmond wrote:

> And, quite frankly, if Plugins don't work on those platforms they do look
> "a bit flat" if one wants (especially with regard to the iPad) to use them
> as effective web-browsers.

I spend all day every day developing Flash content for the web, so I don't actually mind having a break from it while using my iPad. There's still plenty of things to look at on the pages.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Andre Garzia-3
HTML5 + JS + CSS3 is the future... it will superseed Flash, eventually.

On 06/30/2010 09:28 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Richmond wrote:
>

>> And, quite frankly, if Plugins don't work on those platforms they do look
>> "a bit flat" if one wants (especially with regard to the iPad) to use them
>> as effective web-browsers.
>>
> I spend all day every day developing Flash content for the web, so I don't actually mind having a break from it while using my iPad. There's still plenty of things to look at on the pages.

Yes; well in your case that is understandable; although I too am sick of
Flash content, I am not
sick of revlets.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Stephen Barncard-4
One can make very useful apps using the excellent Safari browser in the
iPhone. Many iphone 'goodies' are available via CSS and javascript, and many
controls like the selection wheel are 'automatic' when the web page is
properly enabled. And one has an alphabet soup of server side languages from
C to RunRev to drive these apps. This requires no approval or control from
Apple, just an internet connection to run.

On 30 June 2010 11:22, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/30/2010 09:10 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:
>
>> On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:04 PM, James Hurley wrote:
>>

>>> I tried on my iPad and I got a screen asking me to download the plug-in,
>>> but it didn't happen, i.e. the plug-in didn't download.
>>>

>> Plugins don't work on the iPhone or iPad.
>>

> This sounds all rather like negative ostension.
>
> What DOES work on the iPhone or iPad that has NOT been made with
> Apple's own xCode?
>
> And, quite frankly, if Plugins don't work on those platforms they do look
> "a bit flat" if one wants (especially with regard to the iPad) to use them
> as effective web-browsers.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

xtalkprogrammer
Richmond,

Web Apps accessed with Safari and several systems using the Safari
framework, such as Phonegap and Appcelerator. I think that Titanium
has its own IDE, but you'll need XCode anyway. There's also Unity. If
you want to make commercial apps, note that Apple may decide to not
allow non-XCode apps any time.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

Subscribe to the Economy-x-Talk newsletter at http://qurl.tk/cj
Download Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com and
share the clipboard of your computer over the local network.

On 30 jun 2010, at 20:22, Richmond wrote:

> This sounds all rather like negative ostension.
>
> What DOES work on the iPhone or iPad that has NOT been made with
> Apple's own xCode?
>
> And, quite frankly, if Plugins don't work on those platforms they do
> look
> "a bit flat" if one wants (especially with regard to the iPad) to
> use them
> as effective web-browsers.

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

slylabs13
On the flip side just last week I heard a story that 20% of the apps for Android are capable of revealing information about your location, addresses, and information contained on your Android phone.

That does not mean 20% of the Android phones are insecure. It means that a whole he** uv a lot more are potentially insecure. Much as I hate Apple's decision to disallow iApp development for Runrev, it give one pause to think where they might be had they installed some innocuous looking Android app and discovered 2 weeks later that their identity had been stolen, without any idea of how it happened, or started getting eAds and spam for stores or items they only paid cash for.

Bob

On Jun 30, 2010, at 11:04 AM, James Hurley wrote:

> Sorry, but I'm a little behind the curve on this.
>
> I know that we can't build for the iPod or iPad, but can we run revlets using the plug-in for Safari?
>
> I tried on my iPad and I got a screen asking me to download the plug-in, but it didn't happen, i.e. the plug-in didn't download.
>
> Jim Hurley

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Andre Garzia-3
thats why I always drive by circling every city block I can, this will make
crazy any geolocation/geotracking application...

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > On the flip side just last week I heard a story that 20% of
 > the apps for Android are capable of revealing information
 > about your location, addresses, and information contained
 > on your Android phone.

CNet has since retracted that story:

<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/cnet-retracts-article-on-android-app-privacy-threat/1987?tag=content;search-results-rivers>

  Fourth World

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Andre,

Andre Garzia-3 wrote
HTML5 + JS + CSS3 is the future... it will superseed Flash, eventually.
Actually, the problem is not Flash, but the persistent abuse
and misuse of SWF for advertising content.

You could find, easily, 4 or 5 swf files on the same page,
trying to get your attention, your bandwidth and your
processor, all of them, at the same time.

The solution that i envision to this is:
Only the more recent (or latest) SWF
is able to run. The rest should wait
until the user clicks on them.

If HTML5 + JS + CSS3 replace SWF files, then
this problem would become only more evident.

Al

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

Simon Lord
If you haven't already, install Clicktoflash on OS X.  It's been a
godsend for me.  I rarely see Flash SWF's anymore (other than sites I
expressly need them to appear).  Flash ads are a thing of history as
well.

http://clicktoflash.com/

I also use Readabilty in conjunction with clicktoflash to rid myself of ads.

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

Safari 5 has Reader now which is essentially a better version of
Readabilty, but at least it's cross platform (pure js).

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Alejandro Tejada
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>

> Andre Garzia-3 wrote:
>>
>> HTML5 + JS + CSS3 is the future... it will superseed Flash, eventually.
>>

> Actually, the problem is not Flash, but the persistent abuse
> and misuse of SWF for advertising content.
>
> You could find, easily, 4 or 5 swf files on the same page,
> trying to get your attention, your bandwidth and your
> processor, all of them, at the same time.
>
> The solution that i envision to this is:
> Only the more recent (or latest) SWF
> is able to run. The rest should wait
> until the user clicks on them.
>
> If HTML5 + JS + CSS3 replace SWF files, then
> this problem would become only more evident.
>
> Al

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

slylabs13
<sigh> No one can believe anything in the media anymore these days! I remember when you could at least believe the facts reported (if not the slant they were delivered with) simply because reporters were bound by honor to do the research needed to validate their claims. I guess honor is all but gone in our modern world.

That being said, how many people these days read the disclaimers in dialog boxes anymore?

Bob

On 07/01/2010 07:31 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> <sigh>  No one can believe anything in the media anymore these days! I remember when you could at least believe the facts reported (if not the slant they were delivered with) simply because reporters were bound by honor to do the research needed to validate their claims. I guess honor is all but gone in our modern world.

I knew that honour (at least, if not 'honor') was gone when, in 1989, my
boss at the time; Mustapha Adly,
told me that as he knew I was a gentleman he would treat me in a
gentlemanly way, and then proceeded
to cheat me out of half of my salary. Mr Adly later absconded from
Emirates Private School (Abu Dhabi
and Al Ain) with all the money and hasn't been seen since. He also seems
to have left one of his wives
behind! I understand he was last seen back in his native Egypt.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

slylabs13
I think that's a cultural thing. I have known several Egyptians, and while decent enough people on the whole, they do seem to believe that whatever they can get from you for as little as they can give back is fair practice. I think they call it bartering.

The more extreme ones believe it is a mandate of their religion to lie cheat and steal from "Infidels". I think that is me, and possibly you too. What an odd kind of thing for God to tell men to do!

Bob

On Jul 1, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Richmond wrote:

> On 07/01/2010 07:31 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
>> <sigh>  No one can believe anything in the media anymore these days! I remember when you could at least believe the facts reported (if not the slant they were delivered with) simply because reporters were bound by honor to do the research needed to validate their claims. I guess honor is all but gone in our modern world.
>>

> I knew that honour (at least, if not 'honor') was gone when, in 1989, my boss at the time; Mustapha Adly,
> told me that as he knew I was a gentleman he would treat me in a gentlemanly way, and then proceeded
> to cheat me out of half of my salary. Mr Adly later absconded from Emirates Private School (Abu Dhabi
> and Al Ain) with all the money and hasn't been seen since. He also seems to have left one of his wives
> behind! I understand he was last seen back in his native Egypt.

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

This is an increasingly common problem in the modern era of Drudge-style
blogo-"journalism".

There was a time not so long ago when it was considered necessary to
verify a story with three sources before going to print.

Those days are long gone in favor of "Get the scoop at any cost and we
don't even care if it's a real scoop just get it!"

  Fourth World

Bob Sneidar wrote:

> <sigh> No one can believe anything in the media anymore these days! I remember when you could at least believe the facts reported (if not the slant they were delivered with) simply because reporters were bound by honor to do the research needed to validate their claims. I guess honor is all but gone in our modern world.
>
> That being said, how many people these days read the disclaimers in dialog boxes anymore?
>
> Bob
>
> On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>>
>> > On the flip side just last week I heard a story that 20% of
>> > the apps for Android are capable of revealing information
>> > about your location, addresses, and information contained
>> > on your Android phone.
>>

>> CNet has since retracted that story:
>>
>> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/cnet-retracts-article-on-android-app-privacy-threat/1987?tag=content;search-results-rivers>

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

slylabs13
I guess they figure they can always publish a retraction in a small corner of the back page of section L.

Bob

On Jul 1, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> This is an increasingly common problem in the modern era of Drudge-style blogo-"journalism".
>
> There was a time not so long ago when it was considered necessary to verify a story with three sources before going to print.
>
> Those days are long gone in favor of "Get the scoop at any cost and we don't even care if it's a real scoop just get it!"
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World
> Rev training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
> Webzine for Rev developers: http://www.revjournal.com
> revJournal blog: http://revjournal.com/blog.irv

Re: Running revlets on the iPad

mwieder
Bob-

If you can't deal with your bigotry yourself, at least keep it off the
damn list.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com