SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi all,

I came across this question on stack overflow. I like to try to give good LiveCode answers there when I can, just to do a little to boost the reputation of the LC community there. But I don’t have a clue on this one.

<quote>
A Livecode script:
get URL "https://www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-regulations/patent-term-extension/patent-terms-extended-under-35-usc-156"
Winds up with the following in "the result":

 tsneterr: (56) SSLRead() return error -9806

I tried setting libURLSetSSLVerification to both true and false, but got the same error each time. Any ideas why this is happening, and is there a solution?
</quote>

I verified that this error is returned consistently in the result. Anybody have any ideas? Charles, are you lurking perhaps?

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

Devin Asay wrote:

> I came across this question on stack overflow. I like to try to give good LiveCode answers there when I can, just to do a little to boost the reputation of the LC community there. But I don’t have a clue on this one.
>
> <quote>
> A Livecode script:
> get URL "https://www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-regulations/patent-term-extension/patent-terms-extended-under-35-usc-156"
> Winds up with the following in "the result":
>
>  tsneterr: (56) SSLRead() return error -9806
>

> I tried setting libURLSetSSLVerification to both true and false, but got the same error each time. Any ideas why this is happening, and is there a solution?
> </quote>

As a cURL wrapper, tsNet's error messages tend to follow the same
conventions other cURL devs see, lending itself to generic searches:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=SSLRead()+return+error+-9806&ia=web

I only briefly looked at a few of the results, but it seems related to a
very specific SSL cert config that results in timeouts.  Beyond that
you'll have to read more, but hopefully that link will at least get you
started until Charles shows up with his usual thorough response.

Re: SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Could you try

tsNetVerifySSLPeer false

instead of
libURLSetSSLVerification false ?

Maybe setting libURLSetSSLVerification does not have any effect on tsNET.

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

> Am 16.02.2021 um 19:06 schrieb Devin Asay via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I came across this question on stack overflow. I like to try to give good LiveCode answers there when I can, just to do a little to boost the reputation of the LC community there. But I don’t have a clue on this one.
>
> <quote>
> A Livecode script:
> get URL "https://www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-regulations/patent-term-extension/patent-terms-extended-under-35-usc-156"
> Winds up with the following in "the result":
>
> tsneterr: (56) SSLRead() return error -9806
>

> I tried setting libURLSetSSLVerification to both true and false, but got the same error each time. Any ideas why this is happening, and is there a solution?
> </quote>
>
> I verified that this error is returned consistently in the result. Anybody have any ideas? Charles, are you lurking perhaps?
>
> Devin
>

> Devin Asay
> Director
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Re: SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
This seems to be an issue which has come up a few times over the years with the curl library.

It appears to be specific to when curl is compiled on OS X to use the Mac SSL library, rather than OpenSSL.

I am guessing you are trying this on a Mac?

I have tested a build of tsNet under OS X that uses OpenSSL instead, and the issue goes away.  Unfortunately, building tsNet to use OpenSSL on Mac would mean that it no longer uses the OS X certificate store for verifying SSL certificates.

Regards,

Charles