SVG Editors, anyone?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SVG Editors, anyone?

Graham Samuel-4
Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?

TIA

Graham
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Warren Samples
On 08/05/2016 09:57 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham


One option:

https://inkscape.org/en/


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
/Inkscape./

/Richmond./

//


On 08/05/2016 03:57 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Thierry Douez
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
My preferate: Affinity Designer

https://affinity.serif.com


Thierry

2016-08-05 16:57 GMT+02:00 Graham Samuel <[hidden email]>:

> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to
> start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own
> designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations
> for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making
> LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Richard Gaskin
In reply to this post by Richmond Mathewson-2
richmond wrote:

 > On 08/05/2016 03:57 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
 >> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m
 >> about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics
 >> based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got
 >> any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive,
 >> editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
 >
 > /Inkscape./

Seconded.

Inkscape is free as in beer, free as in freedom, and made by really nice
people you can meet at the SoCal Linux Expo and other open source
conferences.  Great people, great software.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Peter TB Brett
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
On 05/08/2016 15:57, Graham Samuel wrote:
> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?

I'm a big fan of Inkscape, which I've used in the past for everything
vector-related: diagrams for patents, editing PDFs, concept art for
product design, and electromechanical block diagram.  Oh, and icons.

https://inkscape.org/en/

If you use it please donate to support continued development. [1]

                                 Peter

[1] Alternatively I really recommend becoming a supporter of the
Software Freedom Conservancy, which supports Inkscape development (and
lots of other open source software projects) https://sfconservancy.org/

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

LiveCode 2016 Conference https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Dar Scott
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
I use InkScape, the one mentioned by many, for laser milling.  It takes some effort to get up to speed.  I miss Cricket Draw.  

One important thing to remember, whatever the tool, is that you can edit by hand if need be if there are quirks in the file.  These are usually in scaling.  

If your current artwork is make out of LiveCode objects, then you might want to consider making something to translate.  

Dar


> On Aug 5, 2016, at 8:57 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
>


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Graham Samuel-4
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
Ok, everyone - it’s Inkscape. To reassure Peter, I do normally contribute money to stuff that’s created from community efforts as soon as I start using it seriously.

Thanks to all who replied.

Graham

> On 5 Aug 2016, at 20:06, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 05/08/2016 15:57, Graham Samuel wrote:
>> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>
> I'm a big fan of Inkscape, which I've used in the past for everything vector-related: diagrams for patents, editing PDFs, concept art for product design, and electromechanical block diagram.  Oh, and icons.
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/
>
> If you use it please donate to support continued development. [1]
>
>                                Peter
>
> [1] Alternatively I really recommend becoming a supporter of the Software Freedom Conservancy, which supports Inkscape development (and lots of other open source software projects) https://sfconservancy.org/
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> LiveCode 2016 Conference https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Bob Sneidar-2
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin
Wha??!? Free BEER???

Bob S


On Aug 5, 2016, at 11:38 , Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

> /Inkscape./

Seconded.

Inkscape is free as in beer, free as in freedom, and made by really nice people you can meet at the SoCal Linux Expo and other open source conferences.  Great people, great software.

--
Richard Gaskin
Fourth World Systems
Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

beda
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
Hello Graham,

that’s what I’m looking for too, after seeing widgets on the great conference in Edingburgh this week.  

CrossPlatform, Opensource and free alternative is Inkscape.

An advanced substitute vor Illustrator in my opinion is AffinityDesigner (Mac) for 40 £ and now also available as a free beta for windows.
This is a full substitute for Illustrator that is running much more faster and smoother on the mac than IL Perhaps for its mighty functions it may be a little complex for little tasks. Together with their product AffinityPhoto SerifLabs are really challenging Adobe in price and functionality, especially on the Mac.

For making especially icons and symbols for controls there are also specialized applications around like WebCode from PixelCut.
You can get it from the Apple Appstore for about 40 € and a trail version from their websites: webcodeapp.com
WebCode exports SVG and also html+css with JS for animated graphics especially for web development.

I’ve no experience yet with using any SVG-code wich may be delivered in different flavors or qualities, I don’t know.

But I’m very interested in this subject and I will do my test, so I hope we can exchange our experiences.

Beda





Am 05.08.2016 um 16:57 schrieb Graham Samuel <[hidden email]>:

> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Graham Samuel-4
Hi Beda

aybe I spoke too soon - AffinityDesigner looks great (and affordable), although I am not sure I could train myself adequately to use it.

Still, I will try both Inkscape and AffinityDesigner. My first goal is to make a widget which displays a fairly photo-realisitic graphic that can be changed by setting its properties - the simplest possible example I can think of is a light switch (it’s either on or off!) but I am hoping for stuff a lot more complicated than that.

Thanks

Graham

> On 5 Aug 2016, at 22:52, Beda Sellung Posteo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Graham,
>
> that’s what I’m looking for too, after seeing widgets on the great conference in Edingburgh this week.  
>
> CrossPlatform, Opensource and free alternative is Inkscape.
>
> An advanced substitute vor Illustrator in my opinion is AffinityDesigner (Mac) for 40 £ and now also available as a free beta for windows.
> This is a full substitute for Illustrator that is running much more faster and smoother on the mac than IL Perhaps for its mighty functions it may be a little complex for little tasks. Together with their product AffinityPhoto SerifLabs are really challenging Adobe in price and functionality, especially on the Mac.
>
> For making especially icons and symbols for controls there are also specialized applications around like WebCode from PixelCut.
> You can get it from the Apple Appstore for about 40 € and a trail version from their websites: webcodeapp.com
> WebCode exports SVG and also html+css with JS for animated graphics especially for web development.
>
> I’ve no experience yet with using any SVG-code wich may be delivered in different flavors or qualities, I don’t know.
>
> But I’m very interested in this subject and I will do my test, so I hope we can exchange our experiences.
>
> Beda
>
>
>
>
>
> Am 05.08.2016 um 16:57 schrieb Graham Samuel <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Having got very interested in LC widgets at the conference, I’m about to start experimenting, but I need to create some SVG graphics based on my own designs. I can’t afford Illustrator - has anyone got any recommendations for a free, or at any rate, not very expensive, editor suitable for making LC-widget-compatible graphics?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Graham
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
Are you looking to go beyond the single path, one color option we have now?  I keep getting illustrator files from our designers that can be saved and shown SVG on the web, inclusive of multiple paths and gradients but would love to use them in LC apps.

BR

 

On 8/5/16, 10:33 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Graham Samuel" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Beda
   
    aybe I spoke too soon - AffinityDesigner looks great (and affordable), although I am not sure I could train myself adequately to use it.
   
    Still, I will try both Inkscape and AffinityDesigner. My first goal is to make a widget which displays a fairly photo-realisitic graphic that can be changed by setting its properties - the simplest possible example I can think of is a light switch (it’s either on or off!) but I am hoping for stuff a lot more complicated than that.
   
    Thanks
   
    Graham

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Graham Samuel-4
Yes, I’m assuming that the SVG capabilities of widgets will develop until pretty much any SVG graphic can be rendered: this could of course be wrong. But I would be very sad if we have to stick to monochrome for any serious work. After all, complex controls, which is what widgets are, are certain to demand colour sooner rather than later, and since scalability is the most attractive thing about widgets that I’ve seen so far, I very much hope this can be achieved via SVG. OTOH at the conference I don’t think I heard anyone from the mother ship talking about plans to enrich SVG rendering.

If anyone knows anything more definite, please tell us!

Graham

> On 8 Aug 2016, at 07:10, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you looking to go beyond the single path, one color option we have now?  I keep getting illustrator files from our designers that can be saved and shown SVG on the web, inclusive of multiple paths and gradients but would love to use them in LC apps.
>
> BR
>
>
>
> On 8/5/16, 10:33 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Graham Samuel" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Hi Beda
>
>    aybe I spoke too soon - AffinityDesigner looks great (and affordable), although I am not sure I could train myself adequately to use it.
>
>    Still, I will try both Inkscape and AffinityDesigner. My first goal is to make a widget which displays a fairly photo-realisitic graphic that can be changed by setting its properties - the simplest possible example I can think of is a light switch (it’s either on or off!) but I am hoping for stuff a lot more complicated than that.
>
>    Thanks
>
>    Graham
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Alejandro Tejada
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
Hi Graham,

Could you use the browser widget to
render a svg as png?

Take a look at this javascript code
that shows 3 different methods
to create a transparent png
from svg files:
http://techslides.com/save-svg-as-an-image

This works really fine:
http://techslides.com/demos/d3/convert-svg-png.html

Alejandro

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016,
Graham Samuel wrote:

> Yes, I?m assuming that the SVG capabilities of widgets
> will develop until pretty much any SVG graphic can be rendered:
> this could of course be wrong.

> But I would be very sad if we have to stick to monochrome
> for any serious work. After all, complex controls, which is
> what widgets are, are certain to demand colour sooner
> rather than later, and since scalability is the most attractive
> thing about widgets that I?ve seen so far, I very much hope
> this can be achieved via SVG.

> OTOH at the conference I don?t think I heard anyone
> from the mother ship talking about plans to enrich
> SVG rendering.

> If anyone knows anything more definite, please tell us!

> Graham
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Graham Samuel-4
Thanks for the thought, Alejandro, but I don’t see how this would work when it comes to scaling. My idea would be to adapt the size of the widget to the screen size as part of the standalone, by simply changing its dimensions, and voila! the graphics in the widget would always look good. If I had to prepare a PNG for each size of screen, wouldn’t I have to do that at build time and maintain lots of differently sized PNGs instead of one single code-and-graphics base? Or maybe I don’t quite understand what you are suggesting.

The technique you suggest does look powerful, though, for preparation of apps where only one screen size is envisaged.

Thanks again

Graham

> On 9 Aug 2016, at 02:05, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Graham,
>
> Could you use the browser widget to
> render a svg as png?
>
> Take a look at this javascript code
> that shows 3 different methods
> to create a transparent png
> from svg files:
> http://techslides.com/save-svg-as-an-image
>
> This works really fine:
> http://techslides.com/demos/d3/convert-svg-png.html
>
> Alejandro
>
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2016,
> Graham Samuel wrote:
>
>> Yes, I?m assuming that the SVG capabilities of widgets
>> will develop until pretty much any SVG graphic can be rendered:
>> this could of course be wrong.
>
>> But I would be very sad if we have to stick to monochrome
>> for any serious work. After all, complex controls, which is
>> what widgets are, are certain to demand colour sooner
>> rather than later, and since scalability is the most attractive
>> thing about widgets that I?ve seen so far, I very much hope
>> this can be achieved via SVG.
>
>> OTOH at the conference I don?t think I heard anyone
>> from the mother ship talking about plans to enrich
>> SVG rendering.
>
>> If anyone knows anything more definite, please tell us!
>
>> Graham
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SVG Editors, anyone?

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
@ Alejandro:

The use cases I have in mind are small but design rich "tiles" logos/buttons/icons, so I don't think a browser works. Of course larger more complex would also be great…

Here is an icon design I got from our lead designer last year, I was excitedly rejoicing at team meetings about how we could use these in our apps…  thinking we could use it in Livecode, only to find later that the SVG widget will not support even something as simple as this 9K SVG

http://wiki.hindu.org/outgoing/new_tiruvadi_for_app.svg

I had to bit the bullet and export this in multiple sized  PNG's

@Graham: feel free to take that file if you are need any examples.  It has useful elements that ideally would be supported:

A) styles (in this case , 8 different fill colors) that are later applied to paths and circles as classes
B) ~ 14 independent paths
C) 14 circles

Yes.. .mothership has gone silent on SVG dev.
Hope it has not gone to the top shelf in the back room.

 
Alejandro Tejada" wrote:

    Could you use the browser widget to
    render a svg as png

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Silly Question

RogGuay
In reply to this post by beda
After all these years I discover I don’t know how to script the little scrollbar control that has the little up and down arrows. What do you monitor to determine if the user clicked one or the other of these arrows?

I’m sure to be mortified by the answer.

Thanks,

Roger
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Silly Question

dunbarxx
Hi.


Do you mean "scrollBarDrag? This message is sent whenever you click on one of the arrows, and of course if you drag the thumb.


Craig Newman



-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Guay <[hidden email]>
To: How to use LiveCode <[hidden email]>
Sent: Mon, Aug 15, 2016 12:44 am
Subject: A Silly Question

After all these years I discover I don’t know how to script the little scrollbar control that has the little up and down arrows. What do you monitor to determine if the user clicked one or the other of these arrows?

I’m sure to be mortified by the answer.

Thanks,

Roger
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Silly Question

[-hh]
> Roger G. wrote:
> What do you monitor to determine if the user
> clicked one or the other of these [little] arrows?

The 'Little Arrows' control works for me via
scrollbarLineDec and scrollbarLineInc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Silly Question

RogGuay
 [-hh] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 'Little Arrows' control works for me via
> scrollbarLineDec and scrollbarLineInc
>
>
>> Roger G. wrote:
>> What do you monitor to determine if the user
>> clicked one or the other of these [little] arrows?

That’s it! And a little esoteric at that . . . I’m not so mortified.

Thank you, hh.

Roger
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode