Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Greeting!  I am hoping someone has an answer for this…

I am working on a HTML5 web page that accesses the device's camera.  When I open the url in Safari (on my Mac or iOS device), I am asked if it's ok to use the camera and everything works perfectly!   However, if I load this same url in the Browser Widget (or a plain native browser), it doesn’t ask to use the camera and it all fails.   Is this a limitation of the implementation of the browser in LiveCode, or is there a setting I have to set?

Thank you!
-Dan

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
The getUserMedia() dialog doesn't work in the browser widget.
You could try to do that "as javascript" in your HTML5 app.

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Dan would love to be kept up to date if you manage to find a workaround for
this issue.

Good luck and thanks.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:02 PM hh via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The getUserMedia() dialog doesn't work in the browser widget.
> You could try to do that "as javascript" in your HTML5 app.

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Dan,

I am not expert in the widget but I do know quite a lot about browsers.
Those APIs are restricted access API which usually require some sort of
configuration on the browser library you're using when building your
product, which is a convoluted way to say that LiveCode HQ proabably
needs to set something on libbrowser for this to work out of the box.

I have checked the LC source code and found that the browser
initialization depends on some factory called `MCBrowserFactoryRef`
which is an abstraction on the browser engine being used. In your macOS
case, I don't know if it is using CEF or WebKit but it if is CEF then
there is a "enable-media-stream" argument that is usually passed via
command-line parameters but in our case it probably need to be passed
via `t_args` in the calls to `CefExecuteProcess()`. I am sure there is a
corresponding WebKit thing to do but I am not sure what.

These kind of switches are needed because Camera APIs are sensitive and
can lead to privacy abuse and security exploits, so they tend to be
disabled by default unless configured or asken for permission. In case
of embeddable browser libraries, they usually lack the UI elements to
ask for permission, so in their case it is is usually something you
configure in code.

You might ask HQ to add the CEF param as a property for the widget. It
might be easy to add.

On 30/11/2018 00:04, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:

> Greeting!  I am hoping someone has an answer for this…
>
> I am working on a HTML5 web page that accesses the device's camera.  When I open the url in Safari (on my Mac or iOS device), I am asked if it's ok to use the camera and everything works perfectly!   However, if I load this same url in the Browser Widget (or a plain native browser), it doesn’t ask to use the camera and it all fails.   Is this a limitation of the implementation of the browser in LiveCode, or is there a setting I have to set?
>
> Thank you!
> -Dan

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
>> Dan F. wrote:
>> I am working on a HTML5 web page that accesses the device's camera.
>> When I open the url in Safari (on my Mac or iOS device), I am asked
>> if it's ok to use the camera and everything works perfectly!
>> However, if I load this same url in the Browser Widget (or a plain
>> native browser), it doesn’t ask to use the camera and it all fails.
>> Is this a limitation of the implementation of the browser in LiveCode,
>> or is there a setting I have to set?
>
> hh wrote:

> The getUserMedia() dialog doesn't work in the browser widget.
> You could try to do that "as javascript" in your HTML5 app.

We meanwhile know that Dan needs it for mobile onl, so a HTML5
standalone will not work for that.

To demonstrate this works on desktop with a HTML5 standalone try this
with Chrome, Firefox or Safari (use newest):

http://hyperhh.de/TEST/GUM/GUMX.html

This is *very* basic, a first step into WebRTC.

Your webcam is started from the standalone, the mediaDevice dialog
and the video display is in the webpage. The display could be 'moved',
with loosing some frames/second, to the standalone.

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Some of the newer browser versions need a https connection. So if
http://hyperhh.de/TEST/GUM/GUMX.html doesn't work, then please try

https://hyperhh.de/TEST/GUM/GUMX.html

> >> Dan F. wrote:
> >> I am working on a HTML5 web page that accesses the device's camera.
> >> When I open the url in Safari (on my Mac or iOS device), I am asked
> >> if it's ok to use the camera and everything works perfectly!
> >> However, if I load this same url in the Browser Widget (or a plain
> >> native browser), it doesn’t ask to use the camera and it all fails.
> >> Is this a limitation of the implementation of the browser in LiveCode,
> >> or is there a setting I have to set?
> >
> > hh wrote:
>
> > The getUserMedia() dialog doesn't work in the browser widget.
> > You could try to do that "as javascript" in your HTML5 app.
>
> We meanwhile know that Dan needs it for mobile onl, so a HTML5
> standalone will not work for that.
>
> To demonstrate this works on desktop with a HTML5 standalone try this
> with Chrome, Firefox or Safari (use newest):
>
> http://hyperhh.de/TEST/GUM/GUMX.html
>
> This is *very* basic, a first step into WebRTC.
>
> Your webcam is started from the standalone, the mediaDevice dialog
> and the video display is in the webpage. The display could be 'moved',
> with loosing some frames/second, to the standalone.

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
This is pretty cool.  It does work on my iPhone (https).

Thanks,
Brian

On 12/5/18 6:44 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> This is pretty cool.  It does work on my iPhone (https).

It's *very* cool, especially since it works in Chrome on linux, where
the browser widget doesn't work.

Re: Safari vs Browser Widget

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Ditto.