Sarah's scheduleMessage script.

Andrew Kluthe
Hey there!

I always forget to turn my p2p software on before I go to bed at night and I have oodles of *legal* downloads that I need to catch up on. So, I decided to try to make a simple timer that would open a program at a certain time and close it again at a certain time everyday.

I came across Sarah Reichelt's scheduleMessage script on this list.

The problem I am having is, the messages get queued but they never disappear from the pending messages queue and they never call the handlers I need. It lets me know they are scheduled at correct times and I can see the messages in the queue. Why aren't they executing?

the handlers for open and closing the program work just fine. They just don't execute when they are supposed to.

I have included the entire script here for testing purposes:

on openUTorrent
   launch "C:/Program Files/uTorrent/uTorrent.exe"
end openUTorrent

on closeUTorrent
      set the hideConsoleWindows to true
      get shell("taskkill /IM uTorrent.exe")
end closeUTorrent

on setTimer
   scheduleMessage "openUTorrent", 17, 20
   scheduleMessage "closeUTorrent", 17, 23
end setTimer

command scheduleMessage pMessage, pHours, pMins
   -- pHours is in 24 hour time
   put the seconds into nextTime
   convert nextTime to dateItems
   put item 4 of nextTime into tHourNow
   put item 5 of nextTime into tMinsNow

   if tHourNow > pHours or (tHourNow = pHours and tMinsNow >= pMins)
   then add 1 to item 3 of nextTime
   put pHours into item 4 of nextTime
   put pMins into item 5 of nextTime
   put 0 into item 6 of nextTime

   convert nextTime to seconds
   send pMessage to this stack in nextTime seconds

   --   Uncomment these lines for testing:
   convert nextTime to short system date and long time
   answer pMessage & " scheduled for " & nextTime
end scheduleMessage

Re: Sarah's scheduleMessage script.

Alex Tweedly
I think the problems is that following
>     put pHours into item 4 of nextTime
>     put pMins into item 5 of nextTime
>     put 0 into item 6 of nextTime
>
>     convert nextTime to seconds
>     send pMessage to this stack in nextTime seconds

you have nextTime as the value "the seconds" WILL have when the command
should be executed; but when you do

>   send pMessage to this stack in nextTime seconds

you are asking to wait that many seconds.

I'd try changing it to

  send pMessage to this stack in (nextTime - the seconds) seconds

and see if that does it.

-- Alex.

nextTime is the seconds

On 21/07/2010 23:33, Andrew Kluthe wrote:

> Hey there!
>
> I always forget to turn my p2p software on before I go to bed at night and I
> have oodles of *legal* downloads that I need to catch up on. So, I decided
> to try to make a simple timer that would open a program at a certain time
> and close it again at a certain time everyday.
>
> I came across Sarah Reichelt's scheduleMessage script on this list.
>
> The problem I am having is, the messages get queued but they never disappear
> from the pending messages queue and they never call the handlers I need. It
> lets me know they are scheduled at correct times and I can see the messages
> in the queue. Why aren't they executing?
>
> the handlers for open and closing the program work just fine. They just
> don't execute when they are supposed to.
>
> I have included the entire script here for testing purposes:
>
> on openUTorrent
>     launch "C:/Program Files/uTorrent/uTorrent.exe"
> end openUTorrent
>
> on closeUTorrent
>        set the hideConsoleWindows to true
>        get shell("taskkill /IM uTorrent.exe")
> end closeUTorrent
>
> on setTimer
>     scheduleMessage "openUTorrent", 17, 20
>     scheduleMessage "closeUTorrent", 17, 23
> end setTimer
>
> command scheduleMessage pMessage, pHours, pMins
>     -- pHours is in 24 hour time
>     put the seconds into nextTime
>     convert nextTime to dateItems
>     put item 4 of nextTime into tHourNow
>     put item 5 of nextTime into tMinsNow
>
>     if tHourNow>  pHours or (tHourNow = pHours and tMinsNow>= pMins)
>     then add 1 to item 3 of nextTime
>     put pHours into item 4 of nextTime
>     put pMins into item 5 of nextTime
>     put 0 into item 6 of nextTime
>
>     convert nextTime to seconds
>     send pMessage to this stack in nextTime seconds
>
>     --   Uncomment these lines for testing:
>     convert nextTime to short system date and long time
>     answer pMessage&  " scheduled for "&  nextTime
> end scheduleMessage

Re: Sarah's scheduleMessage script.

Andrew Kluthe
YEAH! It works great. Gonna add some neato stuff and some checking in, and post the stack for the list.