Saturated fat

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Downloading the Mac Community version of LC 8.1.3 rc 3
I reflected on the fact that it is 10 times the size of LC 4.5.

This in itself is not a bad thing as it is packed full of all sorts
of stuff (eg. the Unicode magic) that LC 4.5 was not.

What is does mean though is that ALL standalones are
on the fat side nowadays.

Now I know all about the inclusions/exclusions settings, but even with
"everything"
excluded standalones are still fatter than they used to be by quite a bit.

Why do I have a feeling that at one point there was some discussion
about making the LC "thang" even more modular so that one
could make "trim" standalones?

Re: Saturated fat

On 2017-07-06 12:01, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> Why do I have a feeling that at one point there was some discussion
> about making the LC "thang" even more modular so that one
> could make "trim" standalones?

The download size of the DMG/installer has ballooned because of all the
prebuilt engines which are now included (two for linux, essentially two
for mac, one for windows, one for android, six or so for iOS). There are
also a lot more externals (again repeated for each platform) -
especially in Indy and Business.

Unicode data is probably responsible for most of the difference in
engine size between 4.5 and 8.

In 9 the situation has got slightly worse for now - all engines
currently include the FULL ICU data which is something like 10-15Mb.
We're currently working on reducing this though.

We are still working towards modularization - however we aren't there
yet.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Saturated fat

On 07/06/2017 03:51 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> We are still working towards modularization - however we aren't there yet.

Now *that* is something I would happily help fund.