Scanning barcodes

Malte Brill
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has got recommendations for a barcode scanner device that works with rev.
Ideally it would read both traditional barcodes and those newer 2d codes and work with Win PCs and Macs (Linux a plus).
Is anyone doing this already and can recommend a device and maybe some test code to peek at?

All the best,

Malte

Re: Scanning barcodes

JosepM
Hi,

I used the Metrologic Vogayer USB, the bluetooth give me many problems but for the bluetooht itself. With 2d codes I don't test, for the others codes work as a keyboard entry.

http://www.honeywellaidc.com

Salut,
Josep

Re: Scanning barcodes

slylabs13
Hi Malte.

Just about any scanner has a mode where it will "type" at the location of a cursor. We use something called the Magpie from Peninsula. It was very reasonably priced, compared to a lot of other bar code scanners I looked at.

Peninsula
Low Hall
Sheep Dyke Lane
Hunmanby
North Yorkshire
YO14 0PS
United Kingdom
+44 1723890699
[hidden email]

Bob

On Jun 11, 2010, at 5:12 AM, Malte Pfaff-Brill wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if anyone has got recommendations for a barcode scanner device that works with rev.
> Ideally it would read both traditional barcodes and those newer 2d codes and work with Win PCs and Macs (Linux a plus).
> Is anyone doing this already and can recommend a device and maybe some test code to peek at?
>
> All the best,
>
> Malte

Re: Scanning barcodes

Colin Holgate-2

On Jun 11, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Just about any scanner has a mode where it will "type" at the location of a cursor. We use something called the Magpie from Peninsula. It was very reasonably priced, compared to a lot of other bar code scanners I looked at.

Unfortunately, this page of theirs:

http://www.barcodereaders.com/barcodereadertypes/default.html

suggests that their scanners don't read the QR codes that was mentioned. Here's a page of scanners that can:

http://www1.shopping.com/xPP-barcode_scanners--qr_code

though I don't know for sure if they do the usual trick of making it look like you're getting input from a keyboard.

Re: Scanning barcodes

Sarah Reichelt-2
> I wonder if anyone has got recommendations for a barcode scanner device that works with rev.
> Ideally it would read both traditional barcodes and those newer 2d codes and work with Win PCs and Macs (Linux a plus).
> Is anyone doing this already and can recommend a device and maybe some test code to peek at?

I haven't done 2D barcodes, but traditional ones are easy. Just make
sure the scanner can operate in keyboard-wedge mode and it will act
like a keyboard. You will need to test it to see what terminating
character it sends and then check for that and when it arrives,
operate on the complete code.

I have a barcode reader test stack on my web site
<http://www.troz.net/rev/stacks/BarcodeTester.rev>.
as well as a stack to generate Code 128 barcodes
<http://www.troz.net/rev/stacks/Barcodes.rev>, which needs a Code128
font to display them correctly.

--
Cheers,