Screen Resolution

yoel-3
Hi everyone:

Can anybody tell me how can I change the screen resolution through a script?

Thanks

Re: Screen Resolution

Curry Kenworthy

I've seen people berated for asking this question, because others assume it will not be done responsibly on the Mac, which can have some side effects. (So, best to either let the user choose whether to change, or do something like kill the finder ??? or whatever it is they do to avoid the side effects.) On PC, of course, it's common.

I think this is always a good question, and I would also like to know what are the best ways currently, for PC and for Mac.

Curry

--

>Hi everyone:
>
>Can anybody tell me how can I change the screen resolution through a script?
>
>Thanks

Re: Screen Resolution

Sarah Reichelt
Like most things, there are sometimes valid reasons for over-riding
the HIG. I run a kiosk app and for debugging, I have a button to
toggle to screen res so I can see more windows, but for public use,
toggle it back again.

For Mac OS X, I use the cscreen shell command.
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19753>

To set the screen res to 1024 x 768 with 32 bit color depth, I use:
     get shell("cscreen -x 1024 -y 768 -d 32")

HTH,
Sarah

On 01/08/2005, at 4:41 AM, curry wrote:

> I've seen people berated for asking this question, because others
> assume it will not be done responsibly on the Mac, which can have
> some side effects. (So, best to either let the user choose whether
> to change, or do something like kill the finder ??? or whatever it
> is they do to avoid the side effects.) On PC, of course, it's common.
>
> I think this is always a good question, and I would also like to
> know what are the best ways currently, for PC and for Mac.
>
> Curry
>
> --
>

>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how can I change the screen resolution through
>> a script?
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Screen Resolution

Thomas McGrath III
See screenDepth

Value:
The screenDepth function returns 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 24, or 32.

The value returned by the screenDepth function is updated only when you
start up the application. If you change the screen settings after
starting up the application, you must quit and restart to update the
screenDepth.

This does not make doing it easy. But it is possible. A start up app
might change it and then quit while opening another app but then you
would have to also change it upon quiting.

Tom

On Jul 31, 2005, at 2:36 PM, curry wrote:

> I've seen people berated for asking this question, because others
> assume it will not be done responsibly on the Mac, which can have some
> side effects. (So, best to either let the user choose whether to
> change, or do something like kill the finder ??? or whatever it is
> they do to avoid the side effects.) On PC, of course, it's common.
>
> I think this is always a good question, and I would also like to know
> what are the best ways currently, for PC and for Mac.
>
> Curry
>
> --
>
>> Hi everyone:
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how can I change the screen resolution through a
>> script?
>>
>> Thanks

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems