Screen and window management...

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
In doing some scripting to hadle window and screen management for our
apps when multiple monitors are involved, I am puzzled by:

Why does the screenLoc not have the effective and/or working keywords
for it?????

A common item is to set the loc of window <somewindow> to the screenLoc
to center the window on the screen. A common practice for dialogs for
example. However, if screen real estate is used up by menubars,
taskbars, on screen keyboards or what have you what you really want is
the center of the available screen area for the app.

Obviously, I can get this from the effective working screenRect and then
just compute the center (roll my own realScreenLoc() function), but I am
curious from the LiveCode folks if there is some technical issue with
adding effective and working to the screenLoc or was this just something
no one ever asked for before?

P.S. If no one has asked, I'll file an enhancement request

SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Folks:
Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get the right format.

I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named “iStoreGrp” when
columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum =1 and
valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.

All of these columns are integers.

If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
Thanks!

Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Not tested, but:

SELECT max(iStoreGrp) FROM valveFlowsA WHERE meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3
GROUP BY meternum, valvenum, iStoreGrp

If my memory as I am falling asleep for the night serves me right.

On 6/1/2018 8:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode wrote:

> Folks:
> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get the right format.
>
> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named “iStoreGrp” when
> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum =1 and
> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>
> All of these columns are integers.
>
> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
if I understand correctly, and just off the top of my head, using "limit"
is one way to do this...
The sql pseudo code would be something like:  select * from yourtable order
by iStoreGrp descending where meterNum = 1 AND valveNum = 3 limit 1
This would grab all the rows, sort them by istoregrp and return the top
entry

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks:
> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know
> it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get
> the right format.
>
> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named
> “iStoreGrp” when
> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum
> =1 and
> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>
> All of these columns are integers.
>
> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
He wants all the columns I think. I suspect he will need a join on the same table. I'm too intoxicated to think about this, but I've done it before. Doesn't group by require that the columns be included in the select clause?

Bob S

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 17:43 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not tested, but:
>
> SELECT max(iStoreGrp) FROM valveFlowsA WHERE meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3
> GROUP BY meternum, valvenum, iStoreGrp
>
> If my memory as I am falling asleep for the night serves me right.
>

> On 6/1/2018 8:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode wrote:
>> Folks:
>> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get the right format.
>>
>> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
>> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
>> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named “iStoreGrp” when
>> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum =1 and
>> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>>
>> All of these columns are integers.
>>
>> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> William A. Prothero
>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Even better!

Bob S

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 17:48 , Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> if I understand correctly, and just off the top of my head, using "limit"
> is one way to do this...
> The sql pseudo code would be something like:  select * from yourtable order
> by iStoreGrp descending where meterNum = 1 AND valveNum = 3 limit 1
> This would grab all the rows, sort them by istoregrp and return the top
> entry
>
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know
>> it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get
>> the right format.
>>
>> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
>> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
>> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named
>> “iStoreGrp” when
>> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum
>> =1 and
>> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>>
>> All of these columns are integers.
>>
>> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> William A. Prothero
>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Tnx for the input, folks. Yes, I want all of the columns. I could specify them each, because there are not many of them, but ......

I’m done for the evening, and will try your suggestions first thing in the morning.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 7:45 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> He wants all the columns I think. I suspect he will need a join on the same table. I'm too intoxicated to think about this, but I've done it before. Doesn't group by require that the columns be included in the select clause?
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jun 1, 2018, at 17:43 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Not tested, but:
>>
>> SELECT max(iStoreGrp) FROM valveFlowsA WHERE meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3
>> GROUP BY meternum, valvenum, iStoreGrp
>>
>> If my memory as I am falling asleep for the night serves me right.
>>

>>> On 6/1/2018 8:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Folks:
>>> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get the right format.
>>>
>>> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
>>> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
>>> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named “iStoreGrp” when
>>> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum =1 and
>>> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>>>
>>> All of these columns are integers.
>>>
>>> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William A. Prothero
>>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
I’m thinking something like:

Select max(“iStoreGrp”) from “valveFlowsA” where (“valveNum”=n1 AND “meterNum”=n2)

Then I have to sort out how to put the statement in a string that can be sent to php.

Does this seem reasonable? I’ll find out tomorrow.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 7:49 PM, prothero--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tnx for the input, folks. Yes, I want all of the columns. I could specify them each, because there are not many of them, but ......
>
> I’m done for the evening, and will try your suggestions first thing in the morning.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolutions.org
>
>> On Jun 1, 2018, at 7:45 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> He wants all the columns I think. I suspect he will need a join on the same table. I'm too intoxicated to think about this, but I've done it before. Doesn't group by require that the columns be included in the select clause?
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Jun 1, 2018, at 17:43 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not tested, but:
>>>
>>> SELECT max(iStoreGrp) FROM valveFlowsA WHERE meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3
>>> GROUP BY meternum, valvenum, iStoreGrp
>>>
>>> If my memory as I am falling asleep for the night serves me right.

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Sorry, I missed the all columns bit. Yes, LIMIT is the way to do this

SELECT * FROM valveFlowsA WHERE meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3
ORDER BY iStoreGrp DESC LIMIT 1

If you still need it. The DESC insure the record with the highest (max)
iStoreGrp value is returned first. CAUTION: If the data contained two
records with meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3 and the exact same iStoreGrp
value, I don't believe there is a way to predict which record will be
the first returned. This only works if iStoreGrp is effectively unique

On 6/1/2018 8:48 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:

> if I understand correctly, and just off the top of my head, using "limit"
> is one way to do this...
> The sql pseudo code would be something like:  select * from yourtable order
> by iStoreGrp descending where meterNum = 1 AND valveNum = 3 limit 1
> This would grab all the rows, sort them by istoregrp and return the top
> entry
>
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know
>> it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get
>> the right format.
>>
>> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
>> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
>> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named
>> “iStoreGrp” when
>> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum
>> =1 and
>> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>>
>> All of these columns are integers.
>>
>> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> William A. Prothero
>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Paul:
Thanks, the suggestion you made worked. I used:
put "SELECT * FROM "&theTable&" WHERE "&col1Name&" = "&col1Value&" AND "&col2Name&" = "&" order by iStoreGrp desc limit 1" into theQuery

This returns the row with the specified meterNum and valveNum and the maximum value of iStoreGrp.

Thanks a bunch!
Bill

> On Jun 2, 2018, at 4:46 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I missed the all columns bit. Yes, LIMIT is the way to do this
>
> SELECT * FROM valveFlowsA WHERE meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3
> ORDER BY iStoreGrp DESC LIMIT 1
>
> If you still need it. The DESC insure the record with the highest (max)
> iStoreGrp value is returned first. CAUTION: If the data contained two
> records with meterNum =1 AND valveNum =3 and the exact same iStoreGrp
> value, I don't believe there is a way to predict which record will be
> the first returned. This only works if iStoreGrp is effectively unique
>

> On 6/1/2018 8:48 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>> if I understand correctly, and just off the top of my head, using "limit"
>> is one way to do this...
>> The sql pseudo code would be something like:  select * from yourtable order
>> by iStoreGrp descending where meterNum = 1 AND valveNum = 3 limit 1
>> This would grab all the rows, sort them by istoregrp and return the top
>> entry
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:31 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks:
>>> Maybe someone can answer this easily and save me some hair pulling. I know
>>> it’s google-able, but I’ve tried and know it’s going to be a trudge to get
>>> the right format.
>>>
>>> I want to make a query to a mySQL db that:
>>> The table is named: “valveFlowsA”
>>> I want the query to return the row with the maximum of a column named
>>> “iStoreGrp” when
>>> columns named “meterNum” and “valveNum” are specified. So, with meterNum
>>> =1 and
>>> valveNum =3, I would get the row for the maximum value of “iStoreGrp”.
>>>
>>> All of these columns are integers.
>>>
>>> If anybody has this query in their quiver of tools, please let me know.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William A. Prothero
>>> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

OT: Microsoft wants to buy Github!

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi there,

I thought you might all want to keep your eyes on this one.

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-github-aquisition-report/ <https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-github-aquisition-report/>

Is it time we start pulling software from Github to let them
know we are not in favor of this acquisition?

How will this effect LiveCode?

What do you think?

Just my 2 cents for the day.

Cheers,

Rick

Re: OT: Microsoft wants to buy Github!

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Well, they bought Skype a while ago and so far nothing too horrible has
happened. They did redesign the interface to make it worse, but my old
version still works.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

Rick Harrison wrote:

 > I thought you might all want to keep your eyes on this one.
 >
 > https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-github-aquisition-report/ >
 > Is it time we start pulling software from Github to let them
 > know we are not in favor of this acquisition?
 >
 > How will this effect LiveCode?
 >
 > What do you think?

Some of my friends in the open source world are suggesting GitLab:
https://about.gitlab.com/

This move is only partially motivated by the Microsoft bid, and mostly
because GitLab itself is open source while GitHub is not, something
that's important to FOSS advocates.

Re: OT: Microsoft wants to buy Github!

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi Richard,

I like the look of GitLab!  It’s very nice and
I think it could be a great replacement.

Thank you for that suggestion!

Rick

> On Jun 2, 2018, at 8:09 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Some of my friends in the open source world are suggesting GitLab:
> https://about.gitlab.com/ <https://about.gitlab.com/>
>
> This move is only partially motivated by the Microsoft bid, and mostly because GitLab itself is open source while GitHub is not, something that's important to FOSS advocates.

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
That will only return the maximum value, not the record itself.

Bob S

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 20:01 , prothero--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m thinking something like:
>
> Select max(“iStoreGrp”) from “valveFlowsA” where (“valveNum”=n1 AND “meterNum”=n2)
>
> Then I have to sort out how to put the statement in a string that can be sent to php.
>
> Does this seem reasonable? I’ll find out tomorrow.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Group by

Get Outlook for Android

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 7:45 PM +0200, "Bob Sneidar via use-livecode" <[hidden email]> wrote:

That will only return the maximum value, not the record itself.

Bob S

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 20:01 , prothero--- via use-livecode  wrote:
>
> I’m thinking something like:
>
> Select max(“iStoreGrp”) from “valveFlowsA” where (“valveNum”=n1 AND “meterNum”=n2)
>
> Then I have to sort out how to put the statement in a string that can be sent to php.
>
> Does this seem reasonable? I’ll find out tomorrow.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero

Re: SQL Help

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
By the way, you can always get all matching records, convert to text, then sort the lines and get the first line.

Bob S

> That will only return the maximum value, not the record itself.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jun 1, 2018, at 20:01 , prothero--- via use-livecode  wrote:
>>
>> I’m thinking something like:
>>
>> Select max(“iStoreGrp”) from “valveFlowsA” where (“valveNum”=n1 AND “meterNum”=n2)
>>
>> Then I have to sort out how to put the statement in a string that can be sent to php.
>>
>> Does this seem reasonable? I’ll find out tomorrow.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero

THOUGHT: the [effective] [working] screenLoc

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
I posted the question below and got no responses so I thought I would
try again.

I noticed that screenLoc has no effective or working keywords associated
with it in LC9 or earlier. It seems to me that it should and that if it
has been done for the screenRect(s), it should be a small enhancement to
add them to the screenLoc

Do others agree? If so I will submit and enhancement entry to the
quality center. if not, I'll drop this discussion thread and roll my own
function based on the screenRect function.

On 6/1/2018 1:19 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:

> In doing some scripting to hadle window and screen management for our
> apps when multiple monitors are involved, I am puzzled by:
>
> Why does the screenLoc not have the effective and/or working keywords
> for it?????
>
> A common item is to set the loc of window <somewindow> to the screenLoc
> to center the window on the screen. A common practice for dialogs for
> example. However, if screen real estate is used up by menubars,
> taskbars, on screen keyboards or what have you what you really want is
> the center of the available screen area for the app.
>
> Obviously, I can get this from the effective working screenRect and then
> just compute the center (roll my own realScreenLoc() function), but I am
> curious from the LiveCode folks if there is some technical issue with
> adding effective and working to the screenLoc or was this just something
> no one ever asked for before?
>
> P.S. If no one has asked, I'll file an enhancement request

Re: THOUGHT: the [effective] [working] screenLoc

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Seems like you could subtract item 1 from item 3 and item 2 from item 4 of the effective screenRect to get what you need.

Bob S

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 08:08 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I posted the question below and got no responses so I thought I would
> try again.
>
> I noticed that screenLoc has no effective or working keywords associated
> with it in LC9 or earlier. It seems to me that it should and that if it
> has been done for the screenRect(s), it should be a small enhancement to
> add them to the screenLoc
>
> Do others agree? If so I will submit and enhancement entry to the
> quality center. if not, I'll drop this discussion thread and roll my own
> function based on the screenRect function.

Re: THOUGHT: the [effective] [working] screenLoc

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Yes, that is why I said (read below) that if others did not think there
should be an effective and/or working key word for the screenLoc
function, I would roll my own based on the screenRect function. I was
asking whether other think the screenLoc function should or should not
have these keywords.