Screen fonts great in Rev, bad in Word- why?

Screen fonts great in Rev, bad in Word- why?

Mark Swindell-2
Why do screen fonts look so good  in Rev and Pages and so bad in Word
and AppleWorks?  Even with Font smoothing turned on in AppleWorks
Times still looks terrible... hardly useable.   I'm using OS X
Tiger.  I also set the system font smoothing pref to flat panel.
What am I missing?

Thanks
Mark

Re: Screen fonts great in Rev, bad in Word- why?

Dave Cragg

On 18 Jul 2005, at 17:38, Mark Swindell wrote:

> Why do screen fonts look so good  in Rev and Pages and so bad in
> Word and AppleWorks?  Even with Font smoothing turned on in
> AppleWorks Times still looks terrible... hardly useable.   I'm
> using OS X Tiger.  I also set the system font smoothing pref to
> flat panel.  What am I missing?

My memory's a bit rusty here, but I think that AppleWorks doesn't use
the Quartz font rendering (or whatever it's called). This was added
to Rev (then Metacard??) shortly after OS X was released.

There used to be a third-party System Preference thingy called Silk
that allowed this to be enabled for apps that didn't support the new
OS X font rendering. I know it worked well for AppleWorks. I'm not
sure if Silk still works in Tiger.

Cheers
Dave