Screen sharing?

rjd318
Hi all! How would one go about incorporating a screen/window sharing feature in a Livecode application? I did some preliminary searches with almost nothing returned so would this be something best left to an established screen sharing technology like gotomeeting or join.me? Would it be possible to get Livecode to start up a sharing program as an integrated part of the application? Anyway, I realize this sounds like fragmented thinking but I just got asked by coworkers (who are c#/c++) if it was possible with a language like Livcode. btw I'm not a programmer here at work but in networking so I'm hoping for some ideas to investigate or maybe someone in our midst already tackled screen sharing =).

Re: Screen sharing?

Richard Gaskin
rjd318 wrote:

 > Hi all! How would one go about incorporating a screen/window sharing
 > feature in a Livecode application? I did some preliminary searches
 > with almost nothing returned so would this be something best left to
 > an established screen sharing technology like gotomeeting or join.me?
 > Would it be possible to get Livecode to start up a sharing program as
 > an integrated part of the application? Anyway, I realize this sounds
 > like fragmented thinking but I just got asked by coworkers (who are
 > c#/c++) if it was possible with a language like Livcode. btw I'm not
 > a programmer here at work but in networking so I'm hoping for some
 > ideas to investigate or maybe someone in our midst already tackled
 > screen sharing =).

I think your co-workers may be toying with you. :)  With LiveCode 8's
ability to call native OS APIs you could conceivably implement anything
your C++ friends can - but your C++ friends are unlikely to be writing
their own code for that either.

There are so many non-trivial considerations to take into account, from
compression to security, that most folks license code from someone else
or, as you suggested at the outset, just use another app dedicated for
that purpose.

You can share screen shots in LC very easily, but live screen output is
a very complex problem few tackle by themselves, in any language.

Re: Screen sharing?

Roger Eller
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM, rjd318 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all! How would one go about incorporating a screen/window sharing
> feature in a Livecode application? I did some preliminary searches with
> almost nothing returned so would this be something best left to an
> established screen sharing technology like gotomeeting or join.me? Would
> it be possible to get Livecode to start up a sharing program as an
> integrated part of the application? Anyway, I realize this sounds like
> fragmented thinking but I just got asked by coworkers (who are c#/c++) if
> it was possible with a language like Livcode. btw I'm not a programmer here
> at work but in networking so I'm hoping for some ideas to investigate or
> maybe someone in our midst already tackled screen sharing =).

TeamViewer is one of the easiest cross-platform remote support solutions.
Their RESTful API looks like a good fit for LiveCode.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/404-Is-there-a-TeamViewer-API

~Roger

Re: Screen sharing?

Ben Rubinstein
On 17/09/2015 18:46, Roger Eller wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM, rjd318 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all! How would one go about incorporating a screen/window sharing
>> feature in a Livecode application? I did some preliminary searches with
>> almost nothing returned so would this be something best left to an
>> established screen sharing technology like gotomeeting or join.me? Would
>> it be possible to get Livecode to start up a sharing program as an
>> integrated part of the application? Anyway, I realize this sounds like
>> fragmented thinking but I just got asked by coworkers (who are c#/c++) if
>> it was possible with a language like Livcode. btw I'm not a programmer here
>> at work but in networking so I'm hoping for some ideas to investigate or
>> maybe someone in our midst already tackled screen sharing =).
>>

> TeamViewer is one of the easiest cross-platform remote support solutions.
> Their RESTful API looks like a good fit for LiveCode.
>
> https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/404-Is-there-a-TeamViewer-API

I don't know for sure, but I think this just allows you to manage, book,
invoke, etc sessions through the API; the sessions themselves still taking
place in the TeamViewer app.  I don't think it allows you to embed the
screen-sharing into your own app's window.

Ben

Re: Screen sharing?

Roger Eller
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Ben Rubinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/09/2015 18:46, Roger Eller wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM, rjd318 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all! How would one go about incorporating a screen/window sharing
>>> feature in a Livecode application? I did some preliminary searches with
>>> almost nothing returned so would this be something best left to an
>>> established screen sharing technology like gotomeeting or join.me?
>>>

>>> TeamViewer is one of the easiest cross-platform remote support solutions.
>> Their RESTful API looks like a good fit for LiveCode.
>>
>> https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/404-Is-there-a-TeamViewer-API
>>

> I don't know for sure, but I think this just allows you to manage, book,
> invoke, etc sessions through the API; the sessions themselves still taking
> place in the TeamViewer app.  I don't think it allows you to embed the
> screen-sharing into your own app's window.
>
> Ben

That may be true.  I haven't tried it.  BUT - we have a browser object
which would make it appear to be running inside your own app (I would
think).

~Roger

v.8 Tool Palette missing, er, tools?

dunbarxx
I just downloaded v.8 DP4, and the tools palette has only two icons, the pointer and the browse tools. The palette itself is rather short, and could not display much below the standard button suite anyway. I can create tools from the

What gives?

Craig Newman

v.8 tools palette

dunbarxx
Just downloaded v.8 DP4. The tools palette is way too short and shows only the browse and pointer icons. I can create any tool from the "Object/New Control" menu, but...

Is it me?

Craig Newman

Re: v.8 tools palette

Neil Roger-2
Hi Craig,

This is a DP4 issue and will be resolved in DP5. You will be able to fix
it by restating LC and the full tools palette will magically appear

Kind regards,

Neil

LiveCode Technical Support Lead
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

LiveCode
+44 (0) 845 219 8923.
25A Thistle Street Lane South West, Edinburgh, EH2 1EW
http://www.livecode.com

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/pages/LiveCode/121318328010780>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/livecode> Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/RunRevLtd> Linkedin
<https://github.com/runrev/livecode>

On 18/09/2015 14:15, [hidden email] wrote:

> Just downloaded v.8 DP4. The tools palette is way too short and shows only the browse and pointer icons. I can create any tool from the "Object/New Control" menu, but...
>

> Is it me?
>

> Craig Newman

Re: v.8 Tool Palette missing, er, tools?

Jim L.
Craig,

I had the same problem.  Apparently it’s a small bug that only appears on the initial loading of LC8; it will be fixed in dp5.  If you go to “Tools” at the top and drop down to “Tools Palette” and toggle this off then on, it will load.  Or if you shutdown LC8 and restart then it should load.

Jim

On Sep 18, 2015, at 6:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I just downloaded v.8 DP4, and the tools palette has only two icons, the pointer and the browse tools. The palette itself is rather short, and could not display much below the standard button suite anyway. I can create tools from the
>

> What gives?
>

> Craig Newman

Re: v.8 Tool Palette missing, er, tools?

Wprothero
I also found this, and the "run"pointer is in run mode, but the IDE is actually in debug mode. You have to click the debug pointer, then back to the run pointer to get the program to run.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 6:56 AM, James Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Craig,
>
> I had the same problem.  Apparently it’s a small bug that only appears on the initial loading of LC8; it will be fixed in dp5.  If you go to “Tools” at the top and drop down to “Tools Palette” and toggle this off then on, it will load.  Or if you shutdown LC8 and restart then it should load.
>
> Jim
>

>> On Sep 18, 2015, at 6:11 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I just downloaded v.8 DP4, and the tools palette has only two icons, the pointer and the browse tools. The palette itself is rather short, and could not display much below the standard button suite anyway. I can create tools from the
>>

>> What gives?
>>

>> Craig Newman
Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: v.8 tools palette

dunbarxx
Ah.

Thanks, Neil.

I hope the graphic look and feel for the new widget icons will be made, er, nicer looking.

Anyway, time to start learning LC Builder.