Scripting style: Verbs in function names

Re: Scripting style: Verbs in function names

mwieder
J. Landman Gay wrote
All the "native" LC functions are nouns.
Um, no.
That's just sematic sugar the xtalk language creates around some functions.
So
  put the date
  put the target
is the same as
  put date()
  put target()

Ruby allows the same thing, albeit in a more generic form, i.e. you can create your own function and call it either way.
 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Scripting style: Verbs in function names

J. Landman Gay
On 11/4/16 4:19 PM, mwieder wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote
>> All the "native" LC functions are nouns.
>
> Um, no.
> That's just sematic sugar the xtalk language creates around some functions.
> So
>   put the date
>   put the target
> is the same as
>   put date()
>   put target()
>
> Ruby allows the same thing, albeit in a more generic form, i.e. you can
> create your own function and call it either way.

Yeah, but semantically they're all (or mostly all) nouns so that the
"the" can be there. I believe there are some commands that are actually
functions too, but we don't have to care about it.