Scrollbars in Rev

Mark Swindell-2
What exactly are the built-in Rev scroll bars, sliders?  Can one get
into the images they use and modify them, or create others and have
them available, or does one have to roll one's own completely, ala
Klaus's banana bar?  It would be cool to have more style options
built in.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

ScottR
Recently, Mark Swindell  wrote:

> What exactly are the built-in Rev scroll bars, sliders?  Can one get
> into the images they use and modify them, or create others and have
> them available, or does one have to roll one's own completely, ala
> Klaus's banana bar?

The latter.

Check the mail archives -- several folks have built custom slider routines,
and Malte Brill made one with a proportional thumb.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Klaus major-k
Hi Mark,

> What exactly are the built-in Rev scroll bars, sliders?  Can one
> get into the images they use and modify them, or create others and
> have them available,

i don't think so, since they are provided by the underlying OS, as
far as i know...

> or does one have to roll one's own completely, ala Klaus's banana bar?

:-)

Yes, the latter...

> It would be cool to have more style options built in.

You bet! ;-)

> Thanks,
> Mark

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Mark Swindell-2

On Jul 13, 2005, at 2:15 AM, Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>

>> What exactly are the built-in Rev scroll bars, sliders?  Can one
>> get into the images they use and modify them, or create others and
>> have them available,
>>

> i don't think so, since they are provided by the underlying OS, as
> far as i know...

That was what I was wondering... whether the OS provided the slider
graphics, and how that works internally since so many of the
characteristics are rev properties.   As for rolling one's own, I
guess that's the option to use for X-platform, as the sliders in
Windows look terrible to my MacCentric eye.  But as scrollbars and
sliders are very important tools I would think that there could be
several built-in style options that would appear identically X-platform.

Mark

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Ken Norris-3
Hi Mark,

Leading thread =================

Break ========================

> That was what I was wondering... whether the OS provided the slider
> graphics, and how that works internally since so many of the
> characteristics are rev properties.   As for rolling one's own, I
> guess that's the option to use for X-platform, as the sliders in
> Windows look terrible to my MacCentric eye.  But as scrollbars and
> sliders are very important tools I would think that there could be
> several built-in style options that would appear identically
> X-platform.
=========================

Well, the caveat is that the OS' don't really offer much 'style'
options other than those already usable by Rev. Are you concerned with
appearance or mechanics?

Mechanical operations are a function of the engine's hooks into the
appropriate control API's for the platform in question, which Rev
refers to as properties. These are reliable, because Rev is only
assigning these properties, and after that has nothing to do with it
other than I/O values from events. In most if not all cases, the OS
takes over and actually draws and operates the control from events.

IOW, if you make a totally custom scrollbar cobbled together from other
Rev/MC objects, i.e., which operates from API's outside the standard
ones for a particular control type, performance will surely suffer to
some degree or other.

OTOH, you _can_ change _appearance themes_ from Aqua to something else
(but not the operational properties), meaning it will be system-wide,
not just your Rev application:

<http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter>

All the best,
Ken N.

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Mark Swindell-2

On Jul 13, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Ken Norris wrote:

>> That was what I was wondering... whether the OS provided the slider
>> graphics, and how that works internally since so many of the
>> characteristics are rev properties.   As for rolling one's own, I
>> guess that's the option to use for X-platform, as the sliders in
>> Windows look terrible to my MacCentric eye.  But as scrollbars and
>> sliders are very important tools I would think that there could be
>> several built-in style options that would appear identically X-
>> platform.
>>
> =========================
>
> Well, the caveat is that the OS' don't really offer much 'style'
> options other than those already usable by Rev. Are you concerned
> with appearance or mechanics?

Only by appearance.   I've got a "look and feel"  going on in a
program I'm developing and the sliders should be somewhat
aesthetically tasteful to fit in.

> Mechanical operations are a function of the engine's hooks into the
> appropriate control API's for the platform in question, which Rev
> refers to as properties. These are reliable, because Rev is only
> assigning these properties, and after that has nothing to do with
> it other than I/O values from events. In most if not all cases, the
> OS takes over and actually draws and operates the control from events.

Which is a good thing, but I don't need speed beyond what could be
cobbled together in Rev.

> IOW, if you make a totally custom scrollbar cobbled together from
> other Rev/MC objects, i.e., which operates from API's outside the
> standard ones for a particular control type, performance will
> surely suffer to some degree or other.

Probably not enough to matter.  I'll have to find out.

> OTOH, you _can_ change _appearance themes_ from Aqua to something
> else (but not the operational properties), meaning it will be
> system-wide, not just your Rev application:

Right on.  So if Unsanity can do it, so can Rev, right?  But just for
sliders and scrollbars.  These, when not a part of a window theme,
shouldn't have to be bound by the system look and feel.   At least
that's how I look at it and feel about it.  But this is soooo far
beyond what my limited skills could hope to accomplish that the
banana is starting to look very "aesthetically pleasing."  (No
offense, Klaus.)

Anyway, thank you, Ken for the clarification.
Mark

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Klaus major-k
Hi Mark,

>> OTOH, you _can_ change _appearance themes_ from Aqua to something
>> else (but not the operational properties), meaning it will be
>> system-wide, not just your Rev application:
>>
> Right on.  So if Unsanity can do it, so can Rev, right?  But just
> for sliders and scrollbars.  These, when not a part of a window
> theme, shouldn't have to be bound by the system look and feel.   At
> least that's how I look at it and feel about it.  But this is soooo
> far beyond what my limited skills could hope to accomplish that the
> banana is starting to look very "aesthetically pleasing."  (No
> offense, Klaus.)

No problem :-)

Feel free to use a more "aesthetically pleasing" fruit :-D
Not tried vegetables yet...

> Anyway, thank you, Ken for the clarification.
> Mark

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Bob Hartley
Quoting Klaus Major <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Mark,

> >> OTOH, you _can_ change _appearance themes_ from Aqua to something
> >> else (but not the operational properties), meaning it will be
> >> system-wide, not just your Rev application:
> >>
> > Right on.  So if Unsanity can do it, so can Rev, right?  But just
> > for sliders and scrollbars.  These, when not a part of a window
> > theme, shouldn't have to be bound by the system look and feel.   At
> > least that's how I look at it and feel about it.  But this is soooo
> > far beyond what my limited skills could hope to accomplish that the
> > banana is starting to look very "aesthetically pleasing."  (No
> > offense, Klaus.)
>
> No problem :-)
>
> Feel free to use a more "aesthetically pleasing" fruit :-D
> Not tried vegetables yet...

I take it you have a scrollbar that is a sliding banana.

OK Klaus. I've thought of a thousand ways to ask this but no-one is different
from the rest. So here goes.....

Where can I get a hold of your sliding banana?

All the best
Bob

> > Anyway, thank you, Ken for the clarification.
> > Mark
>
> Regards
>
> Klaus Major
> [hidden email]
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Klaus major-k
Hi Bob,

>> No problem :-)
>> Feel free to use a more "aesthetically pleasing" fruit :-D
>> Not tried vegetables yet...
> I take it you have a scrollbar that is a sliding banana.

Yep :-)

> OK Klaus. I've thought of a thousand ways to ask this but no-one is
> different
> from the rest. So here goes.....
>
> Where can I get a hold of your sliding banana?

YOU CAN'T, NAUGHTY BOY!

But you can download an example stack from RevOnline:

User: klausimausi
Stack: Custom volume slider

:-)

> All the best
> Bob

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Scrollbars in Rev

Ken Norris-3

  Hi Mark,

> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:51:01 -0700
> From: Mark Swindell <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Scrollbars in Rev

> Right on.  So if Unsanity can do it, so can Rev, right? But just for
> sliders and scrollbars.  These, when not a part of a window theme,
> shouldn't have to be bound by the system look and feel.

I tried to explain: What ShapeShifter does is not the same thing as you
are talking about.
Please understand, we're talking about _system controls_ here. Themes
affect these controls across the system. If you want customizable
themes for individual controls, the only practical way to do it would
be to build a non-system control, a hacked emulator, not the real
thing. If you want such a thing for each control, then you will have to
design a set of tools which can create emulators and alter their
appearance, for each type.

I have no doubt the MC/Rev engineers can do it; in fact, some of it
probably already exists, but you're asking them for a whole lot of code
to allow you to make such things, for each OS platform. And when you're
done, it still won't be a real system control.

HTH,
Ken N.