Searchable Database from all mail messages

Searchable Database from all mail messages

capellan
Hi Developers,

In a few hours, i'll have downloaded
all the gzip compressed archives from
this mail list.

Gzip compression in text files reduces
data sizes to almost 25 % of it's original
size! :-O

Google is fast and handy but i suspect that
it's possible to search faster these archives
if they are stored locally, on a CD or Hard Disk.

Now, when i have all these decompressed
text files from this list in a CD or Hard
Disk,

Which are my alternatives within RunRev
to create a searchable database with all messages
from this list?

Thanks in advance.

al

Visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/

Re: Searchable Database from all mail messages

Eric Chatonet
Hi Alejandro;

I searched for Tejada in the mailing lists:

. Google: 0.07 seconds and 824 results.
. Gname: 0.002371 seconds and 606 results.

BTW I wonder about this difference :-)
As for me I think it's fast enough...
Note: Mail Archive does not indicate any time...

Le 10 juil. 05 à 21:39, Alejandro Tejada a écrit :

> Google is fast and handy but i suspect that
> it's possible to search faster these archives
> if they are stored locally, on a CD or Hard Disk.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Searchable Database from all mail messages

Alex Tweedly
Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Alejandro;
>
> I searched for Tejada in the mailing lists:
>
> . Google: 0.07 seconds and 824 results.
> . Gname: 0.002371 seconds and 606 results.
>
> BTW I wonder about this difference :-)
> As for me I think it's fast enough...
> Note: Mail Archive does not indicate any time...

For me, the advantage wouldn't be search time - it would be convenience
(when my laptop is disconnected from the net) and time to retrieve the
emails themselves (esp. on dial-up).

So I'd be tempted to try Google Desktop Search on the whole downloaded
database - using an http request to retrieve the results into your Rev
app to gather and display the results.   (Though I should say I only had
a cursory glance at GDS a couple of months ago for a project that didn't
get done in the end - but I think it could do this easily).

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Searchable Database from all mail messages

capellan
Hi Eric, :-)

Eric Chatonet wrote:

>I searched for Tejada in the mailing lists:
>. Google: 0.07 seconds and 824 results.
>. Gname: 0.002371 seconds and 606 results.
>BTW I wonder about this difference :-)
>As for me I think it's fast enough...

Ah! This means that you have a permanent
Internet connection. :-)
i have only dial-up. :-(

Anyway, i still believe that it's possible
to search faster these archives if they are
stored locally, on a CD or Hard Disk.

When decompressed all these text files get more
than 160 MB! :-o

How fast could RR retrieve a search
like Eric's from 160 MB of text?

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

>How fast could RR retrieve a search
>like Eric's from 160 MB of text?

It would take a long time just to read 160Mb (or to read and decompress
40M). You need to have it indexed
  - by Google Desktop, or Yahoo Desktop (are they Win only ??)
  - use some open source indexing tool (Lucene?)
  - put the messages into a mySQL database and use their fulltext index
feature
  - some other index scheme ...

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Searchable Database from all mail messages

Charles Hartman
> It would take a long time just to read 160Mb (or to read and
> decompress 40M). You need to have it indexed
>  - by Google Desktop, or Yahoo Desktop (are they Win only ??)
>  - use some open source indexing tool (Lucene?)
>  - put the messages into a mySQL database and use their fulltext
> index feature
>  - some other index scheme ...

Spotlight.

Charles Hartman

Re: Searchable Database from all mail messages

mwieder
Alex-

Sunday, July 10, 2005, 1:26:38 PM, you wrote:

AT> So I'd be tempted to try Google Desktop Search on the whole downloaded
AT> database - using an http request to retrieve the results into your Rev

I think this is the approach I'd take, too. The downside would be the
need to download a new archive each month.

...and it's been my experience that searching via Google's web site
doesn't always return the results you specify, especially regarding
date ranges. Google's search engine seems to have a mind of its own as
to what it decides to return to you.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com