Searching Data in Custom Properties

zack-5
Hello,

I am newbie to RunRev.  I have been developing databases using other
tools for about 10 years.  I am trying to get my head around this
idea of storing data in custom properties. I have read Richard
Gaskin's post on the subject and I am begining top get my head around
setting the data into custom props and getting it out when you now
where a particular piece of data is.

But how do you search for a string that maybe in a custom property?

Or if you need searching is it time to move to a RDBMS.  I am quite
comfortable with that if that is what is required, but I just don't
know.

tia

zack

Re: Searching Data in Custom Properties

Dan Shafer
Zack.....

Unless I'm mistaken -- always a distinct possibility -- find commands
work only in fields, not in any other kind of container or in custom
properties.

zack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am newbie to RunRev.  I have been developing databases using other
> tools for about 10 years.  I am trying to get my head around this  idea
> of storing data in custom properties. I have read Richard  Gaskin's post
> on the subject and I am begining top get my head around  setting the
> data into custom props and getting it out when you now  where a
> particular piece of data is.
>
> But how do you search for a string that maybe in a custom property?
>
> Or if you need searching is it time to move to a RDBMS.  I am quite
> comfortable with that if that is what is required, but I just don't  know.

As with so many things in computing, the answer is "depends". :)

There are many things an RDBMS can be good for, and searching is
definitely among them.

But there are also very flexible things that can be done with native
Transcript too.

You can structure data in a wide variety of ways to get what you need.
In an application I've been working on I need multiple tables of data
that are rarely directly related, but in which searching and sorting had
to be efficient.

I found that by using simple tab-delimited data stored in properties I
was able to get a good mix of what I need from native Transcript, using
functions like offset, lineoffset, filter, and sort.

In some cases I use the keys for these properties as an index, and with
multiple property sets it's easy to use the same key into different
collections of data.

For example, we have one tab-delimited table which has data that the
user can annotate, and we store the annotations separately because we do
a lot of operations on the annotations only.

By using the same key for the current collection and the user's
annotation about the collection I get to what I need quickly and easily:

   put the uMainDataA[myKey] of stack "data" into tMyData
   put the uAnnotations[myKey] of stack "data" into tMyAnno

So you may find that using a DMBS is a good move, but you may also find
that you can get what you need in native Transcript.

What type of data are you working with, and what do you need to do with it?

  Fourth World Media Corporation

On Jun 13, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> What type of data are you working with, and what do you need to do
> with it?

Well I am really just trying to get my head around the
possibilities.  I am very used to FileMaker Pro (and SQL dbs). In
these environments you normally start with the data and build an
interface to use it.  It is almost always with large data sets where
searching will be one of the primary activities. The data and how it
stored is never really an issue.  It's in tables.

Rev offers so much more, but I find myself a bit lost because I am
not used to having to design a storage system for data.  What I
always took for granted isn't there anymore.  I realize that this is
part of the power of Rev you can do it in anyway that seems best.
BUT this is exactly my problem. I don't feel I know enough yet to
know what "seems" best.

I "relate" to data in terms of RDBMS. I see table and columns and
primary keys. That is just what I am used to. In the last few years
XML has become important but still mostly as middle layer not the
storage layer. At least to me.

So now I want to move on to a more flexible tool, but with more power
comes more responsibility!  So I have to adjust. or just go by
altSQLite and be done with it  :>)

Thanks

zack

Re: Searching Data in Custom Properties

Richard Gaskin
zack wrote:

> Well I am really just trying to get my head around the  possibilities.
> I am very used to FileMaker Pro (and SQL dbs). In  these environments
> you normally start with the data and build an  interface to use it.  It
> is almost always with large data sets where  searching will be one of
> the primary activities. The data and how it  stored is never really an
> issue.  It's in tables.
>
> Rev offers so much more, but I find myself a bit lost because I am  not
> used to having to design a storage system for data.  What I  always took
> for granted isn't there anymore.  I realize that this is  part of the
> power of Rev you can do it in anyway that seems best.   BUT this is
> exactly my problem. I don't feel I know enough yet to  know what "seems"
> best.
>
> I "relate" to data in terms of RDBMS. I see table and columns and
> primary keys. That is just what I am used to. In the last few years  XML
> has become important but still mostly as middle layer not the  storage
> layer. At least to me.
>
> So now I want to move on to a more flexible tool, but with more power
> comes more responsibility!  So I have to adjust. or just go by
> altSQLite and be done with it  :>)

altSQLite looks like a fine tool.  If it fits the model you're used to
you can always dive in and get going with that, and pick up any other
Transcript tricks you can use along the way.

  Fourth World Media Corporation