Selection Handles

dunbarx via use-livecode
I have an app that I'm migrating from LC 6.6.5 to 8.1.9. In it, a user creates documents that may consist of lines, boxes, text areas and images that they insert. There's been a big change between 6.6.5 and 8.1.9 in the selection handles on objects. In 6.6.5, the selection handles on lines were really tiny so I implanted a scheme - when the line is selected I overlay a small button at each end that you drag to change the length and another in the middle to grab the line to move. A side benefit of this is that no matter how "wobbly" the user is in dragging my selection handles, I've scripted it so the line stays perfectly horizontal/vertical.

In LC 8.1.9 the selection handles on lines are huge in comparison, and are centered over the middle of the end point, making it trickier to align to another object (a frequent thing in my app). While I can live with it myself, for my customers I'm way less than thrilled. Often times there is the need to create several short lines in close proximity to each other.

In 8.1.9 I can't use my own selection handles like I was as they end up *behind* those of LC and must exist on a layer above everything else - a change from 6.6.5.

So my question is, is there any way to change the selection handle behavior - something even that is a hack? They're fine on everything else, it's just on lines that it becomes an issue for me. I’m anticipating a “no” but thought I’d ask!

Marty

Re: Selection Handles

dunbarx via use-livecode
Since you already have code in place to use your homegrown selection
handles, can you adjust things so that the line doesn't actually have to be
"selected" to make changes? My guess is that the small button you
implemented can be dragged, and then you do your magic and adjust length
while constraining to horizontal or vertical.  I don't see why the line
would actually have to be selected to do this.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an app that I'm migrating from LC 6.6.5 to 8.1.9. In it, a user
> creates documents that may consist of lines, boxes, text areas and images
> that they insert. There's been a big change between 6.6.5 and 8.1.9 in the
> selection handles on objects. In 6.6.5, the selection handles on lines were
> really tiny so I implanted a scheme - when the line is selected I overlay a
> small button at each end that you drag to change the length and another in
> the middle to grab the line to move. A side benefit of this is that no
> matter how "wobbly" the user is in dragging my selection handles, I've
> scripted it so the line stays perfectly horizontal/vertical.
>
> In LC 8.1.9 the selection handles on lines are huge in comparison, and are
> centered over the middle of the end point, making it trickier to align to
> another object (a frequent thing in my app). While I can live with it
> myself, for my customers I'm way less than thrilled. Often times there is
> the need to create several short lines in close proximity to each other.
>
> In 8.1.9 I can't use my own selection handles like I was as they end up
> *behind* those of LC and must exist on a layer above everything else - a
> change from 6.6.5.
>
> So my question is, is there any way to change the selection handle
> behavior - something even that is a hack? They're fine on everything else,
> it's just on lines that it becomes an issue for me. I’m anticipating a “no”
> but thought I’d ask!
>
> Marty

Re: Selection Handles

dunbarx via use-livecode
Thanks Mike. The app allows the user to be in standard LC edit mode to select any of the objects, either by clicking on them or dragging a selection rectangle around them. And I do have tools that allow the user to select multiple objects and then align, layer, make the same size etc. Perhaps I could implement a scheme where if the user selects only 1 line it then deselects and pops up my own selection handles, though that might be a bit ugly.

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 12:02 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since you already have code in place to use your homegrown selection
> handles, can you adjust things so that the line doesn't actually have to be
> "selected" to make changes? My guess is that the small button you
> implemented can be dragged, and then you do your magic and adjust length
> while constraining to horizontal or vertical.  I don't see why the line
> would actually have to be selected to do this.
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have an app that I'm migrating from LC 6.6.5 to 8.1.9. In it, a user
>> creates documents that may consist of lines, boxes, text areas and images
>> that they insert. There's been a big change between 6.6.5 and 8.1.9 in the
>> selection handles on objects. In 6.6.5, the selection handles on lines were
>> really tiny so I implanted a scheme - when the line is selected I overlay a
>> small button at each end that you drag to change the length and another in
>> the middle to grab the line to move. A side benefit of this is that no
>> matter how "wobbly" the user is in dragging my selection handles, I've
>> scripted it so the line stays perfectly horizontal/vertical.
>>
>> In LC 8.1.9 the selection handles on lines are huge in comparison, and are
>> centered over the middle of the end point, making it trickier to align to
>> another object (a frequent thing in my app). While I can live with it
>> myself, for my customers I'm way less than thrilled. Often times there is
>> the need to create several short lines in close proximity to each other.
>>
>> In 8.1.9 I can't use my own selection handles like I was as they end up
>> *behind* those of LC and must exist on a layer above everything else - a
>> change from 6.6.5.
>>
>> So my question is, is there any way to change the selection handle
>> behavior - something even that is a hack? They're fine on everything else,
>> it's just on lines that it becomes an issue for me. I’m anticipating a “no”
>> but thought I’d ask!
>>
>> Marty

Re: Selection Handles

dunbarx via use-livecode
I see, yeah.  And rolling your own full blown selection scheme would be a
bit much.