Sending a message to users that floats above everything

Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
What is the best way to send a message to users that floats above everything else, including browser widgets?

I have been using "answer", "ask", and the mobile picker because they appear on top. However, these system dialogs are not always pretty, especially on Android. Is there another option? I tried using a browser widget, but that does not always layer on top of another browser widget, even if the layer in the widget is a higher number.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Jonathan:

I don't think it is even/ever possible to get something to "float"on top of a browser widget on Mobile.

I wish/hope  that I am wrong.

On 8/20/17, 3:53 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    What is the best way to send a message to users that floats above everything else, including browser widgets?

    I have been using "answer", "ask", and the mobile picker because they appear on top. However, these system dialogs are not always pretty, especially on Android. Is there another option? I tried using a browser widget, but that does not always layer on top of another browser widget, even if the layer in the widget is a higher number.

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks Swami, I think you are right - but I really hate the way the answer dialog looks on Android.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 20, 2017, at 11:21 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathan:
>
> I don't think it is even/ever possible to get something to "float"on top of a browser widget on Mobile.
>
> I wish/hope  that I am wrong.
>
> On 8/20/17, 3:53 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    What is the best way to send a message to users that floats above everything else, including browser widgets?
>
>    I have been using "answer", "ask", and the mobile picker because they appear on top. However, these system dialogs are not always pretty, especially on Android. Is there another option? I tried using a browser widget, but that does not always layer on top of another browser widget, even if the layer in the widget is a higher number.

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

Jonathan - how about a toast? (on Android that is), I haven’t tested it but I would assume it would appear above a browser…

Monte did an external some time ago (mergAndroid I think) that I’m pretty sure included support for toasting :)

Kind regards

Dave

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I will check that out - thanks Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 21, 2017, at 5:18 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Jonathan - how about a toast? (on Android that is), I haven’t tested it but I would assume it would appear above a browser…
>
> Monte did an external some time ago (mergAndroid I think) that I’m pretty sure included support for toasting :)
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Does the browser -need- to be visible during the message?  If not, hide it
first.  If so, display a temp screenshot of it during your message.

~Roger

On 2017-08-21 03:53, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> I have been using "answer", "ask", and the mobile picker because they
> appear on top. However, these system dialogs are not always pretty,
> especially on Android. Is there another option? I tried using a
> browser widget, but that does not always layer on top of another
> browser widget, even if the layer in the widget is a higher number.

The layering of widgets which have a native layer (of which the browser
widget is one) *should* reflect the layer number. e.g.

    layer 1 - field (lc)
    layer 2 - browser 1 (native layer)
    layer 3 - button (lc)
    layer 4 - browser 2 (native layer)

should be reflected as:

    field (bottom)
    button
    browser 1
    browser 2 (top)

So if this isn't the case, then it deserves a bug report :)

Of course, browser views on android/iOS might be 'special' and causing
the problem themselves but assuming that isn't the case, it should work
as you described...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
This mislayering is with browser widgets that are grouped into different groups. Would that make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone

On 2017-08-21 14:55, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> This mislayering is with browser widgets that are grouped into
> different groups. Would that make a difference?

Quite possibly! The engine does extra work to handle grouped widgets
which use a native layer (it has to synthesize the equivalent native
group layer) - are you able to distill it down to a simple stack? If so,
please file a bug report and we'll take a look.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Monte's external works great on newer Android devices but seems to crash on
older ones. That's why I had to replace it with a hacked up fake in my
Android object library. There's a pull request in git for a native toast
that is waiting for review and as soon as it's available I will switch to
it. It's been waiting for a while, I hope it gets attention soon. Answer
dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.

On August 21, 2017 6:28:54 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will check that out - thanks Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 5:18 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Jonathan - how about a toast? (on Android that is), I haven’t tested it but
>> I would assume it would appear above a browser…
>>
>> Monte did an external some time ago (mergAndroid I think) that I’m pretty
>> sure included support for toasting :)
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Dave

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Awww! Take it back! I use em all the time. Someone clicks the delete button, I ask them if they are sure that is what they want to do.

Bob S

> On Aug 21, 2017, at 08:41 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <snip> Answer dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I like the dialogs on iOS. Simple, not offensive, clean.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2017-08-21 17:41, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Monte's external works great on newer Android devices but seems to
> crash on older ones. That's why I had to replace it with a hacked up
> fake in my Android object library. There's a pull request in git for a
> native toast that is waiting for review and as soon as it's available
> I will switch to it. It's been waiting for a while, I hope it gets
> attention soon. Answer dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.

Oops - that one slipped off our radar a bit (actually there's another PR
from HedgeHao which has been languishing for a while fixing a bug in the
browser widget... Sorry @HedgeHao). I'll see if I can get them sorted
out tomorrow.

I wonder whether the 'toast' one might make a nice example of using LCB
though - there are only three calls needed to do it. So I might convert
it to LCB as an exercise - it makes it easier for others to adapt; and
is a lot lower overhead than having it in C++/Java in the engine.
HedgeHao has already done the hard part of figuring out the APIs to use,
and how to use them :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

> On August 21, 2017 6:28:54 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I will check that out - thanks Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 5:18 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Jonathan - how about a toast? (on Android that is), I haven’t tested
>>> it but I would assume it would appear above a browser…
>>>
>>> Monte did an external some time ago (mergAndroid I think) that I’m
>>> pretty sure included support for toasting :)
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Dave

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Yes, they're easy to implement, but they don't match the specs for any
modern OS and they're very old school. If you want native appearance they
are inappropriate.

On August 21, 2017 11:34:20 AM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awww! Take it back! I use em all the time. Someone clicks the delete
> button, I ask them if they are sure that is what they want to do.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 08:41 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <snip> Answer dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

> On 22 Aug 2017, at 1:41 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Monte's external works great on newer Android devices but seems to crash on older ones. That's why I had to replace it with a hacked up fake in my Android object library. There's a pull request in git for a native toast that is waiting for review and as soon as it's available I will switch to it. It's been waiting for a while, I hope it gets attention soon. Answer dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.

Hmm… nobody told me about a crash… anyway, as Mark said it’s probably best done in LCB now.

Cheers

Monte

On 8/21/17 4:38 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

>> On 22 Aug 2017, at 1:41 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Monte's external works great on newer Android devices but seems to crash on older ones. That's why I had to replace it with a hacked up fake in my Android object library. There's a pull request in git for a native toast that is waiting for review and as soon as it's available I will switch to it. It's been waiting for a while, I hope it gets attention soon. Answer dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.
>
> Hmm… nobody told me about a crash… anyway, as Mark said it’s probably best done in LCB now.

Sorry, that was my fault. It was a pretty old Android phone running (I
think) Lollipop. Our target audience would likely have newer phones so I
didn't bother with it, especially after I saw there was a pull request
in git.

On 2017-08-21 23:38, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
> Hmm… nobody told me about a crash… anyway, as Mark said it’s probably
> best done in LCB now.

I wouldn't usually suggest duplicating effort / code - however the Toast
function is too hard to resist in this case... If only to show a direct
comparison between LCB vs C++!

I think HedgeHao's patch adds a number of files, and has to modify the
engine in several places to hook it in. In contrast, the LCB would
probably be around 20-30 lines in a single file.

Indeed, there's a lot of (specifically mobile commands/functions) C++
engine code which would be better replaced with LCB using FFI features -
the C++ essentially for that kind of stuff ends up being 90% boilerplate
and 10% functionality; LCB eliminates most of the boilerplate and so you
end up just having the code which actually does something.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Educate me, what is toast?

Bob S

On 2017-08-22 17:10, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> Educate me, what is toast?

It pops up a small overlay on the screen with a message, which then
fades away after a fixed period of time. A bit like notifications on
Mac, and the small bubble that can appear above the taskbar on Windows.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Oooh I was thinking about toasting... err rolling my own!

Bob S