Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi,

My company gave up on hosting our email and website at on-rev.com back
when they were having lots of reliability problems. We're using a host
in Japan; no LC server installed, nor is it installable.

I still have our Founder's account on on-rev.com, and use quite a few
.lc scripts, calling them from iframes in web pages hosted on the new host.

Our radio programs' mp3 files are stored on the new host. I want one of
my scripts on on-rev.com to get the directory listing of the mp3 files
on the new host. The ftp command from LC tutorials works fine from LC
desktop (Community edition, Mac) to get the filelist:
put url "ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/" into myVariable

Put when I call it from the server .lc script on on-rev, the result is:
error Failed to connect to gmoserver.jp port 21: Connection refused

(gmoserver.jp is our new host here in Japan.)

Any ideas why the connection would be refused when coming from on-rev,
but not LC desktop? Anyways around this?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

Re: Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Do you have ssh access for your on-rev  account? If not, ask support to enable it for you.

Try to use ftp from the commandline, just to see if gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> accepts that connection. If that also doesn´t work, then i would assume that your server is blocking the incoming connection from on-rev. If that works, then  livecode server seems to have a problem with ftp outgoing connections.

Matthias
Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 18.07.2017 um 10:38 schrieb Tim Selander via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi,
>
> My company gave up on hosting our email and website at on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> back when they were having lots of reliability problems. We're using a host in Japan; no LC server installed, nor is it installable.
>
> I still have our Founder's account on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/>, and use quite a few .lc scripts, calling them from iframes in web pages hosted on the new host.
>
> Our radio programs' mp3 files are stored on the new host. I want one of my scripts on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> to get the directory listing of the mp3 files on the new host. The ftp command from LC tutorials works fine from LC desktop (Community edition, Mac) to get the filelist:
> put url "ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/ <ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/>" into myVariable
>
> Put when I call it from the server .lc script on on-rev, the result is:
> error Failed to connect to gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> port 21: Connection refused
>
> (gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> is our new host here in Japan.)
>
> Any ideas why the connection would be refused when coming from on-rev, but not LC desktop? Anyways around this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tim Selander
> Tokyo, Japan

Re: Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Matthias,

Good idea. I just sent support an email asking to have ssh activated!

I'll post again with results!

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

On 2017.07.18, 19:12, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

> Do you have ssh access for your on-rev  account? If not, ask support to enable it for you.
>
> Try to use ftp from the commandline, just to see if gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> accepts that connection. If that also doesn´t work, then i would assume that your server is blocking the incoming connection from on-rev. If that works, then  livecode server seems to have a problem with ftp outgoing connections.
>
> Matthias
> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌
>
>> Am 18.07.2017 um 10:38 schrieb Tim Selander via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My company gave up on hosting our email and website at on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> back when they were having lots of reliability problems. We're using a host in Japan; no LC server installed, nor is it installable.
>>
>> I still have our Founder's account on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/>, and use quite a few .lc scripts, calling them from iframes in web pages hosted on the new host.
>>
>> Our radio programs' mp3 files are stored on the new host. I want one of my scripts on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> to get the directory listing of the mp3 files on the new host. The ftp command from LC tutorials works fine from LC desktop (Community edition, Mac) to get the filelist:
>> put url "ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/ <ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/>" into myVariable
>>
>> Put when I call it from the server .lc script on on-rev, the result is:
>> error Failed to connect to gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> port 21: Connection refused
>>
>> (gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> is our new host here in Japan.)
>>
>> Any ideas why the connection would be refused when coming from on-rev, but not LC desktop? Anyways around this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Tim Selander
>> Tokyo, Japan

Re: Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Tim,

i had some time during lunch and  made a quick test on my on-rev account at the Jasmine server.
I am able to list the files of a non on-rev server without problems using livecode server. Jasmine runs version 7.1.0 of lc server.

Regards,
> [...]

+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 18.07.2017 um 12:50 schrieb Tim Selander via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Good idea. I just sent support an email asking to have ssh activated!
>
> I'll post again with results!
>
> Tim Selander
> Tokyo, Japan
>
> On 2017.07.18, 19:12, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
>> Do you have ssh access for your on-rev  account? If not, ask support to enable it for you.
>>
>> Try to use ftp from the commandline, just to see if gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> <http://gmoserver.jp/ <http://gmoserver.jp/>> accepts that connection. If that also doesn´t work, then i would assume that your server is blocking the incoming connection from on-rev. If that works, then  livecode server seems to have a problem with ftp outgoing connections.
>>
>> Matthias
>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌
>>
>>> Am 18.07.2017 um 10:38 schrieb Tim Selander via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My company gave up on hosting our email and website at on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> <http://on-rev.com/ <http://on-rev.com/>> back when they were having lots of reliability problems. We're using a host in Japan; no LC server installed, nor is it installable.
>>>
>>> I still have our Founder's account on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> <http://on-rev.com/ <http://on-rev.com/>>, and use quite a few .lc scripts, calling them from iframes in web pages hosted on the new host.
>>>
>>> Our radio programs' mp3 files are stored on the new host. I want one of my scripts on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> <http://on-rev.com/ <http://on-rev.com/>> to get the directory listing of the mp3 files on the new host. The ftp command from LC tutorials works fine from LC desktop (Community edition, Mac) to get the filelist:
>>> put url "ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/ <ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/> <ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/ <ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/>>" into myVariable
>>>
>>> Put when I call it from the server .lc script on on-rev, the result is:
>>> error Failed to connect to gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> <http://gmoserver.jp/ <http://gmoserver.jp/>> port 21: Connection refused
>>>
>>> (gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> <http://gmoserver.jp/ <http://gmoserver.jp/>> is our new host here in Japan.)
>>>
>>> Any ideas why the connection would be refused when coming from on-rev, but not LC desktop? Anyways around this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Tim Selander
>>> Tokyo, Japan

Re: Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

Hi again,

Reporting back for....

RevRun support was very quick at activating ssh on my account --
thanks!

However, using ftp from the commandline to gmoserver.jp resulted
in the same message: connection refused

OK, time to take a new tack on the problem!

Thanks for the tip, Matthias.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

On 2017.07.18, 19:12, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

> Do you have ssh access for your on-rev  account? If not, ask support to enable it for you.
>
> Try to use ftp from the commandline, just to see if gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> accepts that connection. If that also doesn´t work, then i would assume that your server is blocking the incoming connection from on-rev. If that works, then  livecode server seems to have a problem with ftp outgoing connections.
>
> Matthias
> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌
>
>> Am 18.07.2017 um 10:38 schrieb Tim Selander via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My company gave up on hosting our email and website at on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> back when they were having lots of reliability problems. We're using a host in Japan; no LC server installed, nor is it installable.
>>
>> I still have our Founder's account on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/>, and use quite a few .lc scripts, calling them from iframes in web pages hosted on the new host.
>>
>> Our radio programs' mp3 files are stored on the new host. I want one of my scripts on on-rev.com <http://on-rev.com/> to get the directory listing of the mp3 files on the new host. The ftp command from LC tutorials works fine from LC desktop (Community edition, Mac) to get the filelist:
>> put url "ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/ <ftp://user:[hidden email]/folder/>" into myVariable
>>
>> Put when I call it from the server .lc script on on-rev, the result is:
>> error Failed to connect to gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> port 21: Connection refused
>>
>> (gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> is our new host here in Japan.)
>>
>> Any ideas why the connection would be refused when coming from on-rev, but not LC desktop? Anyways around this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Tim Selander
>> Tokyo, Japan

Re: Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi again Matthias,

I remembered I was given an ftp account on a colleague's server
awhile back -- tried that and got access with both LC server and
via ssh on sage.on-rev.

So gmoserver.jp is blocking access from sage.on-rev somehow...

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your time and input.

Tim

On 2017.07.18, 20:34, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> i had some time during lunch and  made a quick test on my on-rev account at the Jasmine server.
> I am able to list the files of a non on-rev server without problems using livecode server. Jasmine runs version 7.1.0 of lc server.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌
>
>> Am 18.07.2017 um 12:50 schrieb Tim Selander via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> Good idea. I just sent support an email asking to have ssh activated!
>>
>> I'll post again with results!
>>
>> Tim Selander
>> Tokyo, Japan
>>
>> On 2017.07.18, 19:12, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Do you have ssh access for your on-rev  account? If not, ask support to enable it for you.
>>>
>>> Try to use ftp from the commandline, just to see if gmoserver.jp <http://gmoserver.jp/> <http://gmoserver.jp/ <http://gmoserver.jp/>> accepts that connection. If that also doesn´t work, then i would assume that your server is blocking the incoming connection from on-rev. If that works, then  livecode server seems to have a problem with ftp outgoing connections.
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>> Matthias Rebbe
>>> +49 5741 310000
>>> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/> <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/ <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>>‌

Android Full Screen Browser.

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
My Current project is implementing epubjs to view EBooks on mobile using the browser control. There is a "full screen" option in the epubjs tool bar. I clicked it and figured What could it do? I made the browser control a specific size so this button is worthless. On iOS it does nothing but on Android Nougat it actually goes full screen! The browser control gets resized to the full card obscuring my LC controls in headers, footers and a side bar. I like it. This enables one to use the full real-estate of the device without "intenting" out to another app. The exit full screen button then resizes the browser window back to the size and where I had it via LCS when the card started.

SO... I will dig into the java and see what is doing this. Being able to go full screen using java in an LC browser is a very desirable feature. I wish it also worked on iOS. I will report when I find out how epubjs is doing this.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

On 07/18/2017 03:38 AM, Tim Selander via use-livecode wrote:

> Any ideas why the connection would be refused when coming from on-rev,
> but not LC desktop? Anyways around this?

You might check your hosting account settings to see if there are any
user, IP, or geo access restrictions set up. Maybe you could add a user
and perhaps whitelist the on-rev server IP for that user?

Good luck!

Warren

Tim Selander wrote:

 > My company gave up on hosting our email and website at on-rev.com
 > back when they were having lots of reliability problems. We're using
 > a host in Japan; no LC server installed, nor is it installable.
 >
 > I still have our Founder's account on on-rev.com, and use quite a few
 > .lc scripts, calling them from iframes in web pages hosted on the new
 > host.
 >
 > Our radio programs' mp3 files are stored on the new host. I want one
 > of my scripts on on-rev.com to get the directory listing of the mp3
 > files on the new host.

FTP is probably not the best solution for this, for reasons too
numerable to list this morning.

But for the task as described, other simpler, more efficient, and more
secure alternatives exist:

Can you run a CGI on the server holding the MP3 files to obtain that list?

Or, if they're within you're web root, can you use Apache's directory
listing?

Re: Sending an FTP command from one web server to another?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Richard,

Have never written a CGI in my life but you got me thinking; a
quick Google found me a php script to "print" a folder listing.

So now my .lc script on my on-rev serve puts the url of the .php
page on the server with the mp3s into a variable -- which gives
me the list of file names I was trying to get via ftp. Works slick.

Thanks!

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan