Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Got a problem sending a mouseUp event to a button during preOpenCard.

My preOpenCard handler calls another handler that contains the send of the
mouseUp.  When that handler is called from preOpenCard, the mouseUp handler
never receives the message - I have an answer statement as the first
statement in the button mouseUp handler and it never triggers.

The same handler is called from other places after the card is opened and
the mouseUp message is received OK.

I changed the send to a dispatch and checked the it variable after the
dispatch and it contains "handled" even during preOpenCard processing.
 Also tried the "send in" form of send with various times up to 1000
milliseconds, still no luck

Does anyone know of any issues sending mouseUp messages during preOpenCard?
 I've run into several problems with code not working as expected during
preOpenCard but haven't run into this one before.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Sending mouseUp

Mike Bonner
You might try hard pathing the send. If there is a context issue going on
that should solve it, and during preopencard I would wonder if the context
is incorrect when the send is done.  so dispatch or send it to button
whatever card whatever of stack whatever to test and eliminate the
possibility.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got a problem sending a mouseUp event to a button during preOpenCard.
>
> My preOpenCard handler calls another handler that contains the send of the
> mouseUp.  When that handler is called from preOpenCard, the mouseUp handler
> never receives the message - I have an answer statement as the first
> statement in the button mouseUp handler and it never triggers.
>
> The same handler is called from other places after the card is opened and
> the mouseUp message is received OK.
>
> I changed the send to a dispatch and checked the it variable after the
> dispatch and it contains "handled" even during preOpenCard processing.
>  Also tried the "send in" form of send with various times up to 1000
> milliseconds, still no luck
>
> Does anyone know of any issues sending mouseUp messages during preOpenCard?
>  I've run into several problems with code not working as expected during
> preOpenCard but haven't run into this one before.
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Hi Mike,
Good thinking, I had not included the card and stack in the path to the
button.  However, I changed that and still no joy.

What's really strange is that "it" contains "handled" after a dispatch to
the button, yet its clear the message is never making it that far.

I've narrowed this down a bit further.   The problem only occurs when I run
Livecode and open the stack from the File menu.  If I then close the stack
and open it again, all works fine.  Even more weird is if I close the stack
and remove it from memory, then open it again from the File menu, all works
fine!  It's just that very first open of the stack after running Livecode
when the problem occurs.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might try hard pathing the send. If there is a context issue going on
> that should solve it, and during preopencard I would wonder if the context
> is incorrect when the send is done.  so dispatch or send it to button
> whatever card whatever of stack whatever to test and eliminate the
> possibility.
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Got a problem sending a mouseUp event to a button during preOpenCard.
> >
> > My preOpenCard handler calls another handler that contains the send of
> the
> > mouseUp.  When that handler is called from preOpenCard, the mouseUp
> handler
> > never receives the message - I have an answer statement as the first
> > statement in the button mouseUp handler and it never triggers.
> >
> > The same handler is called from other places after the card is opened and
> > the mouseUp message is received OK.
> >
> > I changed the send to a dispatch and checked the it variable after the
> > dispatch and it contains "handled" even during preOpenCard processing.
> >  Also tried the "send in" form of send with various times up to 1000
> > milliseconds, still no luck
> >
> > Does anyone know of any issues sending mouseUp messages during
> preOpenCard?
> >  I've run into several problems with code not working as expected during
> > preOpenCard but haven't run into this one before.
> >
> > Pete
> > lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Sending mouseUp

Mike Bonner
Hmm might try the combination of the 2 things then.  Do a send in time with
absolute pathing.  Also i've noticed recently that inserting a wait 0 with
messages prior to where a problem like this occurs sometimes magically
fixes it.  Its as if there is other housekeeping/engine stuff going on that
interferes despite the message apparently getting through.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> Good thinking, I had not included the card and stack in the path to the
> button.  However, I changed that and still no joy.
>
> What's really strange is that "it" contains "handled" after a dispatch to
> the button, yet its clear the message is never making it that far.
>
> I've narrowed this down a bit further.   The problem only occurs when I run
> Livecode and open the stack from the File menu.  If I then close the stack
> and open it again, all works fine.  Even more weird is if I close the stack
> and remove it from memory, then open it again from the File menu, all works
> fine!  It's just that very first open of the stack after running Livecode
> when the problem occurs.
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You might try hard pathing the send. If there is a context issue going on
> > that should solve it, and during preopencard I would wonder if the
> context
> > is incorrect when the send is done.  so dispatch or send it to button
> > whatever card whatever of stack whatever to test and eliminate the
> > possibility.
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Got a problem sending a mouseUp event to a button during preOpenCard.
> > >
> > > My preOpenCard handler calls another handler that contains the send of
> > the
> > > mouseUp.  When that handler is called from preOpenCard, the mouseUp
> > handler
> > > never receives the message - I have an answer statement as the first
> > > statement in the button mouseUp handler and it never triggers.
> > >
> > > The same handler is called from other places after the card is opened
> and
> > > the mouseUp message is received OK.
> > >
> > > I changed the send to a dispatch and checked the it variable after the
> > > dispatch and it contains "handled" even during preOpenCard processing.
> > >  Also tried the "send in" form of send with various times up to 1000
> > > milliseconds, still no luck
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of any issues sending mouseUp messages during
> > preOpenCard?
> > >  I've run into several problems with code not working as expected
> during
> > > preOpenCard but haven't run into this one before.
> > >
> > > Pete
> > > lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Sending mouseUp

dunbarxx
Pete.

Something like this has come up before. I remember that "preOpenCard" is invoked before the card (and the stack?) is even loaded into memory. I think. So there may be no valid target handler yet available to access. Why the "handled" value is set is odd, for sure, but I bet the answer is tangled up with the fact that these events are happening just a tad too early, before things have settled down.

There were other threads about this sort of thing. I think Jacque chimed in with more information.

Test: Does everything work fine if you move the handler to an "openCard" script?

Craig Newman

Hmm might try the combination of the 2 things then.  Do a send in time with
absolute pathing.  Also i've noticed recently that inserting a wait 0 with
messages prior to where a problem like this occurs sometimes magically
fixes it.  Its as if there is other housekeeping/engine stuff going on that
interferes despite the message apparently getting through.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> Good thinking, I had not included the card and stack in the path to the
> button.  However, I changed that and still no joy.
>
> What's really strange is that "it" contains "handled" after a dispatch to
> the button, yet its clear the message is never making it that far.
>
> I've narrowed this down a bit further.   The problem only occurs when I run
> Livecode and open the stack from the File menu.  If I then close the stack
> and open it again, all works fine.  Even more weird is if I close the stack
> and remove it from memory, then open it again from the File menu, all works
> fine!  It's just that very first open of the stack after running Livecode
> when the problem occurs.
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You might try hard pathing the send. If there is a context issue going on
> > that should solve it, and during preopencard I would wonder if the
> context
> > is incorrect when the send is done.  so dispatch or send it to button
> > whatever card whatever of stack whatever to test and eliminate the
> > possibility.
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Got a problem sending a mouseUp event to a button during preOpenCard.
> > >
> > > My preOpenCard handler calls another handler that contains the send of
> > the
> > > mouseUp.  When that handler is called from preOpenCard, the mouseUp
> > handler
> > > never receives the message - I have an answer statement as the first
> > > statement in the button mouseUp handler and it never triggers.
> > >
> > > The same handler is called from other places after the card is opened
> and
> > > the mouseUp message is received OK.
> > >
> > > I changed the send to a dispatch and checked the it variable after the
> > > dispatch and it contains "handled" even during preOpenCard processing.
> > >  Also tried the "send in" form of send with various times up to 1000
> > > milliseconds, still no luck
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of any issues sending mouseUp messages during
> > preOpenCard?
> > >  I've run into several problems with code not working as expected
> during
> > > preOpenCard but haven't run into this one before.
> > >
> > > Pete
> > > lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Sending mouseUp

mwieder
Pete-

Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 6:47:33 PM, Craig wrote:

> Something like this has come up before. I remember that
> "preOpenCard" is invoked before the card (and the stack?) is even
> loaded into memory. I think. So there may be no valid target handler
> yet available to access. Why the "handled" value is set is odd, for
> sure, but I bet the answer is tangled up with the fact that these
> events are happening just a tad too early, before things have
> settled down.

Yep. Why are you trying to call a mouseUp handler on preOpenCard
anyway? Take the code in mouseUp, put it in its own handler, and call
it from mouseUp. Then call the same thing from preOpenCard.

-- in button script
on mouseUp
  doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
end mouseUp

on doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
  stuffThatUsedToBeHere
end doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere

-- in card script
on preOpenCard
  dispatch "stuffThatUsedToBeHere" to button "yaddayadda"
end preOpenCard

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Here's where I'm at.

Craig:
I moved the code to openCard, still the same problem.

Mike:
wait zero didn't fix it, nor did send in time with full path.

Mark:
Restructuring the code does, of course, work and is probably going to have
to be my workaround. The reason I didn't really want to do that is that the
mouseUp event can be sent to one of 7 buttons (it's all to do with the
user's startup preference settings) so there's a significant amount of code
to be moved around but it's looking like I may have to.

In general, it seems that using preOpenCard on the main stack just isn't
reliable.  I remember in another project I had to move ALL of my
preOpenCard processing into a separate handler and call it from preOpenCard
with a wait zero before it.  Without that structure, the code would just
stop executing at what looked like a pretty harmless statement
without throwing any type of runtime error.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pete-
>
> Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 6:47:33 PM, Craig wrote:
>
> > Something like this has come up before. I remember that
> > "preOpenCard" is invoked before the card (and the stack?) is even
> > loaded into memory. I think. So there may be no valid target handler
> > yet available to access. Why the "handled" value is set is odd, for
> > sure, but I bet the answer is tangled up with the fact that these
> > events are happening just a tad too early, before things have
> > settled down.
>
> Yep. Why are you trying to call a mouseUp handler on preOpenCard
> anyway? Take the code in mouseUp, put it in its own handler, and call
> it from mouseUp. Then call the same thing from preOpenCard.
>
> -- in button script
> on mouseUp
>   doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
> end mouseUp
>
> on doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
>   stuffThatUsedToBeHere
> end doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
>
> -- in card script
> on preOpenCard
>   dispatch "stuffThatUsedToBeHere" to button "yaddayadda"
> end preOpenCard
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

Björnke von Gierke
There's a lot of stuff that doesn't work on preopenstack if your stack is the premier mainstack of a standalone. This includes liburl, all externals, url (files too), and some other things.

Just now someone couldn't speed up a complex object creation with "lock screen", so it seems that doesn't work either.

On 20.03.2013, at 17:20, Peter Haworth wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Here's where I'm at.
>
> Craig:
> I moved the code to openCard, still the same problem.
>
> Mike:
> wait zero didn't fix it, nor did send in time with full path.
>
> Mark:
> Restructuring the code does, of course, work and is probably going to have
> to be my workaround. The reason I didn't really want to do that is that the
> mouseUp event can be sent to one of 7 buttons (it's all to do with the
> user's startup preference settings) so there's a significant amount of code
> to be moved around but it's looking like I may have to.
>
> In general, it seems that using preOpenCard on the main stack just isn't
> reliable.  I remember in another project I had to move ALL of my
> preOpenCard processing into a separate handler and call it from preOpenCard
> with a wait zero before it.  Without that structure, the code would just
> stop executing at what looked like a pretty harmless statement
> without throwing any type of runtime error.
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Pete-
>>
>> Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 6:47:33 PM, Craig wrote:
>>
>>> Something like this has come up before. I remember that
>>> "preOpenCard" is invoked before the card (and the stack?) is even
>>> loaded into memory. I think. So there may be no valid target handler
>>> yet available to access. Why the "handled" value is set is odd, for
>>> sure, but I bet the answer is tangled up with the fact that these
>>> events are happening just a tad too early, before things have
>>> settled down.
>>
>> Yep. Why are you trying to call a mouseUp handler on preOpenCard
>> anyway? Take the code in mouseUp, put it in its own handler, and call
>> it from mouseUp. Then call the same thing from preOpenCard.
>>
>> -- in button script
>> on mouseUp
>>  doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> on doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
>>  stuffThatUsedToBeHere
>> end doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
>>
>> -- in card script
>> on preOpenCard
>>  dispatch "stuffThatUsedToBeHere" to button "yaddayadda"
>> end preOpenCard
>>
>> --
>> -Mark Wieder

Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/

Chat with other RunRev developers:
http://bjoernke.com/chatrev/

Re: Sending mouseUp

Klaus on-rev
Hi Björnke,

Am 20.03.2013 um 17:59 schrieb Björnke von Gierke <[hidden email]>:

> There's a lot of stuff that doesn't work on preopenstack if your stack is the premier mainstack of a standalone. This includes liburl, all externals, url (files too), and some other things.

but this is caused by the way Livecode loads all of these libs and externals!
So I don't think you can compare this with the below mentioned problem.

OK, the result is the same in the end :-D

> Just now someone couldn't speed up a complex object creation with "lock screen", so it seems that doesn't work either.
>
> On 20.03.2013, at 17:20, Peter Haworth wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Here's where I'm at.
>>
>> Craig:
>> I moved the code to openCard, still the same problem.
>>
>> Mike:
>> wait zero didn't fix it, nor did send in time with full path.
>>
>> Mark:
>> Restructuring the code does, of course, work and is probably going to have
>> to be my workaround. The reason I didn't really want to do that is that the
>> mouseUp event can be sent to one of 7 buttons (it's all to do with the
>> user's startup preference settings) so there's a significant amount of code
>> to be moved around but it's looking like I may have to.
>>
>> In general, it seems that using preOpenCard on the main stack just isn't
>> reliable.  I remember in another project I had to move ALL of my
>> preOpenCard processing into a separate handler and call it from preOpenCard
>> with a wait zero before it.  Without that structure, the code would just
>> stop executing at what looked like a pretty harmless statement
>> without throwing any type of runtime error.
>>
>> Pete

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Hi Bjornke,
Yes, I've run into some of those issues with rev libraries and found that
shifting them to openCard fixed those issues.  I must have missed the post
about the lock screen issue, but I've had that same issue too.

This is a new type of problem though, at least to me.  No libraries or
externals involved, just sending a message to an existing control.

I've fixed the problem by implementing Mark's workaround of moving the
mouseUp logic to a separate handler and calling it from mouseUp and my
preOpenCard handler.

I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Björnke von Gierke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's a lot of stuff that doesn't work on preopenstack if your stack is
> the premier mainstack of a standalone. This includes liburl, all externals,
> url (files too), and some other things.
>
> Just now someone couldn't speed up a complex object creation with "lock
> screen", so it seems that doesn't work either.
>
> On 20.03.2013, at 17:20, Peter Haworth wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Here's where I'm at.
> >
> > Craig:
> > I moved the code to openCard, still the same problem.
> >
> > Mike:
> > wait zero didn't fix it, nor did send in time with full path.
> >
> > Mark:
> > Restructuring the code does, of course, work and is probably going to
> have
> > to be my workaround. The reason I didn't really want to do that is that
> the
> > mouseUp event can be sent to one of 7 buttons (it's all to do with the
> > user's startup preference settings) so there's a significant amount of
> code
> > to be moved around but it's looking like I may have to.
> >
> > In general, it seems that using preOpenCard on the main stack just isn't
> > reliable.  I remember in another project I had to move ALL of my
> > preOpenCard processing into a separate handler and call it from
> preOpenCard
> > with a wait zero before it.  Without that structure, the code would just
> > stop executing at what looked like a pretty harmless statement
> > without throwing any type of runtime error.
> >
> > Pete
> > lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Pete-

> >> Yep. Why are you trying to call a mouseUp handler on preOpenCard
> >> anyway? Take the code in mouseUp, put it in its own handler, and call
> >> it from mouseUp. Then call the same thing from preOpenCard.
> >>
> >> -- in button script
> >> on mouseUp
> >>  doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
> >> end mouseUp
> >>
> >> on doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
> >>  stuffThatUsedToBeHere
> >> end doTheStuffThatUsedToBeHere
> >>
> >> -- in card script
> >> on preOpenCard
> >>  dispatch "stuffThatUsedToBeHere" to button "yaddayadda"
> >> end preOpenCard
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Mark Wieder
> >> [hidden email]

> Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
> http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/
>
> Chat with other RunRev developers:
> http://bjoernke.com/chatrev/

Re: Sending mouseUp

mwieder
Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:

> I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
> straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.

Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its controls
haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that doesn't
officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you can call
handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object. The pre
handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take form.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Sending mouseUp

Mike Bonner
Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when the
send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.

Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:
>
> > I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
> > straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.
>
> Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
> controls
> haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
> doesn't
> officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you can
> call
> handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object. The
> pre
> handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take form.
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

Geoff Canyon-4
I set the visible of a stack to false, and put this in the stack script:

on opencard
   send "set the visible of me to true" to me in 5 seconds
end opencard

I didn't try it in a standalone, but opening that in the dev environment
resulted in no visible change for 5 seconds, then the stack appeared. So
you could do something like this and run your code after the stack has
fully loaded (but is still not visible).

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
> time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when the
> send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.
>
> Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.
>

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:
> >
> > > I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
> > > straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.
> >
> > Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
> > controls
> > haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
> > doesn't
> > officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you
> can
> > call
> > handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object. The
> > pre
> > handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take
> form.
> >
> > --
> >  Mark Wieder
> >  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
OK, that makes sense, but how come I can set the text of option menus,
fields, etc without a problem if they don't exist yet?  More to the point,
why isn't there some sort of runtime error if I try to address a control
that doesn't exist yet (Monte?)?  That's what I mean about preOpenCard
being unreliable.

Anyway, I have a workaround so all's well that ends well.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:
>
> > I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
> > straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.
>
> Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
> controls
> haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
> doesn't
> officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you can
> call
> handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object. The
> pre
> handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take form.
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Thanks Geoff.  I had thought about moving things into openCard.  I already
found I had to move some code that used libURLxxx from preOpenCard to
openCard because of the library not being loaded.  Didn't think of the
visible part of it though, thanks for the idea.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I set the visible of a stack to false, and put this in the stack script:
>
> on opencard
>    send "set the visible of me to true" to me in 5 seconds
> end opencard
>
> I didn't try it in a standalone, but opening that in the dev environment
> resulted in no visible change for 5 seconds, then the stack appeared. So
> you could do something like this and run your code after the stack has
> fully loaded (but is still not visible).
>

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
> > time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when
> the
> > send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.
> >
> > Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:

> > > Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
> > > controls
> > > haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
> > > doesn't
> > > officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you
> > can
> > > call
> > > handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object.
> The
> > > pre
> > > handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take
> > form.
> > >
> > > --
> > >  Mark Wieder
> > >  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

ScottR
Maybe I'm missing a subtlety of Mark's reply, but unless an object is
being created dynamically, it should be configurable during preOpenCard.
The whole reason for the preOpenCard message in the first place is to be
able to initialize/format stuff on the card before showing it.  Now if a
control hasn't yet been *created* that's one thing, but otherwise you
should be able to configure controls before the card is displayed.

Hope I'm not confusing the issue.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

On 3/20/13 11:43 AM, "Mike Bonner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
>time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when
>the
>send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.
>
>Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.
>

>On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:
>>
>> > I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
>> > straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.
>>
>> Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
>> controls
>> haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
>> doesn't
>> officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you
>>can
>> call
>> handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object.
>>The
>> pre
>> handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take
>>form.
>>
>> --
>>  Mark Wieder
>>  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Hi Scott,
That's my confusion too.  I have several places where I adjust the
content/appearance of controls on the card and that all works fine, only
sending a message to a control seems to cause a problem.

It seems like the stack is in some partial state of initialization during
preOpenCard where it's OK to do some things with controls but not others.
 Adding to the confusion was the fact that "it" contained "handled" after I
changed the send to a dispatch command but the mouseUp logic still wasn't
executed;  I would have at least expected it to be "not handled".

Bottom line for me is that if it's not OK to send mouseUp to a button
during preOpenCard, that's fine as long as an error is flagged when you do
it.  Maybe this fits into Monte's thread of changing the way error handling
works in LC.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing a subtlety of Mark's reply, but unless an object is
> being created dynamically, it should be configurable during preOpenCard.
> The whole reason for the preOpenCard message in the first place is to be
> able to initialize/format stuff on the card before showing it.  Now if a
> control hasn't yet been *created* that's one thing, but otherwise you
> should be able to configure controls before the card is displayed.
>
> Hope I'm not confusing the issue.
>

> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design
>

> On 3/20/13 11:43 AM, "Mike Bonner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
> >time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when
> >the
> >send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.
> >
> >Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.
> >

> >On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder
> ><[hidden email]>wrote:

> >> Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
> >> controls
> >> haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
> >> doesn't
> >> officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you
> >>can
> >> call
> >> handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object.
> >>The
> >> pre
> >> handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take
> >>form.
> >>
> >> --
> >>  Mark Wieder
> >>  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

dunbarxx
Scott.

I think from the original discussion, the card is not really "live" yet, in that it has not been loaded into memory. So the object exists, but has not arrived. This is earlier than what you characterized as simply not shown yet. Rather, it isn't yet. The "mouseUp" message would have been sent into the ether, and would not have thrown an error, just as if you say:

send "mouseUp" to this card

where no handler exists to trap it.

As I understand from Peter's original post, he did not send the message to an explicitly identified button, which I assume would indeed have thrown an error. Or at least it should have. The only strange thing, derived from my incomplete understanding of just what and when stuff is in existence when "preOpencard" runs, is why the "dispatch" command showed "handled". So, similar to my little test above:

on mouseUp
   dispatch "mouseUp" to this card --no handler anywhere
   answer it
end mouseUp

yields "unhandled". As it should.

Craig

Maybe I'm missing a subtlety of Mark's reply, but unless an object is
being created dynamically, it should be configurable during preOpenCard.
The whole reason for the preOpenCard message in the first place is to be
able to initialize/format stuff on the card before showing it.  Now if a
control hasn't yet been *created* that's one thing, but otherwise you
should be able to configure controls before the card is displayed.

Hope I'm not confusing the issue.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

On 3/20/13 11:43 AM, "Mike Bonner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
>time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when
>the
>send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.
>
>Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.
>

>On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:
>>
>> > I guess I'm just very suspicious of anything other than really
>> > straightforward commands in preOpenCard now.
>>
>> Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
>> controls
>> haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
>> doesn't
>> officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you
>>can
>> call
>> handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object.
>>The
>> pre
>> handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take
>>form.
>>
>> --
>>  Mark Wieder
>>  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

dunbarxx
All:

So here is another test. Make a brand new stack. Put this into the stack script:

on mouseUp
   dispatch "mouseUp" to this card
   answer it
end mouseUp

If you start with a new session, opening the test stack from the finder, you will get an error:

Type Handler: can't find handler
Object Untitled 2
Line send "mouseUp" to this card
Hint mouseUp

There is no such card (yet); the card just does not exist. However, also in a new session, if you open another stack, and then open the test stack from the finder, all is well.  So "preOpenCard" is invoked REALLY early, but it seems to matter when and how it is invoked as well.

Craig

Thanks Geoff.  I had thought about moving things into openCard.  I already
found I had to move some code that used libURLxxx from preOpenCard to
openCard because of the library not being loaded.  Didn't think of the
visible part of it though, thanks for the idea.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I set the visible of a stack to false, and put this in the stack script:
>
> on opencard
>    send "set the visible of me to true" to me in 5 seconds
> end opencard
>
> I didn't try it in a standalone, but opening that in the dev environment
> resulted in no visible change for 5 seconds, then the stack appeared. So
> you could do something like this and run your code after the stack has
> fully loaded (but is still not visible).
>

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Oh duh. So even if its a send in time, and the control DOES exist by the
> > time the send kicks in, the underlying stuff doesn't get set right when
> the
> > send is queued so it doesn't work?  That actually makes sense.
> >
> > Think I'm going to start changing how I structure things from now on.
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:

> > > Well, here's the thing. It's *pre*OpenCard because the card and its
> > > controls
> > > haven't been instantiated yet. So sending a message to a control that
> > > doesn't
> > > officially exist shouldn't work. The script is there in memory, so you
> > can
> > > call
> > > handlers in it, but it's not yet associated with an on-screen object.
> The
> > > pre
> > > handlers exist so that you can set things up before the objects take
> > form.
> > >
> > > --
> > >  Mark Wieder
> > >  [hidden email]

Re: Sending mouseUp

Peter Haworth
Hi Craig,
You're right that the button wasn't fully qualified initially, but no error
was thrown.  That's another problem I've come across in preOpenCard - often
errors just don't get thrown.  Plus red dot break points don't trigger
(although a breakpoint command does).

All in all, preOpenCard is a weird and strange environment.  I plan to
avoid it wherever possible in the future.  In the project with the current
issue, preOpenCard consist of a "hide stack" command and I've moved all my
processing to openCard with a "show stack" command at the front (thanks to
Geoff Canyon for that technique).  I hate to have to resort to that type of
trickery but I've spent way too much time debugging preOpenCard issues in
the past.