Serial communication in Tiger

see3d
Hi All,

I just ran into a problem that perhaps I can use Rev to solve, but I
don't know if I can, or where to start looking, so perhaps one of you
can point me in the right direction.

I have a robotic glass cutting machine I built 12 years ago.  It uses
a serial communications port to initially program its internal
EPROM.  I used a Mac (since deceased) with a serial port and terminal
communication software to send two small files to program the machine
when I first built it.  Now the machine is acting up, and I have
replacement chips for it, but I have to program them.  I use a
Keyspan USB to Serial port device and driver which work with a serial
terminal app.  I can communicate with all the hardware, but I can't
control the app in the way I need to.

All I need to do is send a file one character at a time to the device
and wait for the echo before sending the next character --piece of cake.

Anyone know if I can use Rev to do this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Re: Serial communication in Tiger

Gordon Tillman
Hi Dennis,

On Jul 12, 2005, at 12:43, Dennis Brown wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just ran into a problem that perhaps I can use Rev to solve, but
> I don't know if I can, or where to start looking, so perhaps one of
> you can point me in the right direction.
>
> I have a robotic glass cutting machine I built 12 years ago.  It
> uses a serial communications port to initially program its internal
> EPROM.  I used a Mac (since deceased) with a serial port and
> terminal communication software to send two small files to program
> the machine when I first built it.  Now the machine is acting up,
> and I have replacement chips for it, but I have to program them.  I
> use a Keyspan USB to Serial port device and driver which work with
> a serial terminal app.  I can communicate with all the hardware,
> but I can't control the app in the way I need to.
>
> All I need to do is send a file one character at a time to the
> device and wait for the echo before sending the next character --
> piece of cake.
>
> Anyone know if I can use Rev to do this?

This should be no problem at all.  I wrote a complete driver for both
NCS/Pearson and ScanTron (bubble-form) scanners and had to do much
the same type of thing.  Works great on a Mac with the Keyspan adapter.

--gordon

Re: Serial communication in Tiger

see3d
Thanks Gordan,

I just found Sarah's "SerialTest.rev" stack and it can communicate to
my device.  So I am home free now --just have to make a few
adjustments to her stack.

Thanks also to Sarah --when you get here!
Dennis

On Jul 12, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Gordon Tillman wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>

> On Jul 12, 2005, at 12:43, Dennis Brown wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just ran into a problem that perhaps I can use Rev to solve, but
>> I don't know if I can, or where to start looking, so perhaps one
>> of you can point me in the right direction.
>>
>> I have a robotic glass cutting machine I built 12 years ago.  It
>> uses a serial communications port to initially program its
>> internal EPROM.  I used a Mac (since deceased) with a serial port
>> and terminal communication software to send two small files to
>> program the machine when I first built it.  Now the machine is
>> acting up, and I have replacement chips for it, but I have to
>> program them.  I use a Keyspan USB to Serial port device and
>> driver which work with a serial terminal app.  I can communicate
>> with all the hardware, but I can't control the app in the way I
>> need to.
>>
>> All I need to do is send a file one character at a time to the
>> device and wait for the echo before sending the next character --
>> piece of cake.
>>
>> Anyone know if I can use Rev to do this?
>>

> This should be no problem at all.  I wrote a complete driver for
> both NCS/Pearson and ScanTron (bubble-form) scanners and had to do
> much the same type of thing.  Works great on a Mac with the Keyspan
> adapter.
>
> --gordon

Re: Serial communication in Tiger

Sarah Reichelt
> I just found Sarah's "SerialTest.rev" stack and it can communicate
> to my device.  So I am home free now --just have to make a few
> adjustments to her stack.
>
> Thanks also to Sarah --when you get here!
> Dennis

Glad to help. I use serial communications a lot and find Rev very
reliable & effective.

Cheers,
Sarah