Server Down?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
The Livecode server seems to be offline at the moment (9.37 Edinburgh
time), or at least inaccessible here in Bulgaria.

Re: Server Down?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
@Richmond you mean you cannot access anything at livecode.com?

Works for me, checked just now, 9:41 Edinburgh time

Best,
Panos

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 11:38 AM Richmond via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Livecode server seems to be offline at the moment (9.37 Edinburgh
> time), or at least inaccessible here in Bulgaria.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Server Down?

Pi Digital via use-livecode
On 11/29/18 1:42 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> @Richmond you mean you cannot access anything at livecode.com?
>
> Works for me, checked just now, 9:41 Edinburgh time

Interesting. My logs show that the servers went down at 9:37 Edinburgh
time and recovered at 9:41.

LiveCode Server

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I've been using LiveCode Server for a few years now with great success as
various web services from LCS. I started this when I was a relative newbie.
I access my library stacks via "Start using".
1) Can anyone shed some light on the subtle differences between "Include",
"Require" and "Start using"? The docs are not clear to me.

I'm starting a new project using interactive web pages. I have an in house
web designer that I need to show how to call LC server scripts to populate
web pages. I would rather use LC Server and MySQL and my on-staff html
designer rather than sub it all out using vb.net and SQL server.
2) Are there any examples of how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

LiveCode Server

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Ahh... I see that the revIgniter library is the way to go for my number 2
question and I am immersed in the docs. But I'm still wondering about my
question # 1 (differences between "Include", "Require" and "Start using")

I've been using LiveCode Server for a few years now with great success as
various web services from LCS. I started this when I was a relative newbie.
I access my library stacks via "Start using".
1) Can anyone shed some light on the subtle differences between "Include",
"Require" and "Start using"? The docs are not clear to me.

I'm starting a new project using interactive web pages. I have an in house
web designer that I need to show how to call LC server scripts to populate
web pages. I would rather use LC Server and MySQL and my on-staff html
designer rather than sub it all out using vb.net and SQL server.
2) Are there any examples of how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: LiveCode Server

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hmmm I hesitated to reply earlier, just in case there are subtleties I
might get wrong and mislead you - but here goes.

include / require are essentially ways to include the text of the
included file. Include will do that - and do it every time you use it ....

so you could have a trivial nonsensical example like ...

mydebug.lc   - a file which will dump out a bunch of variable info ...

> <? rev
> put "Data is:" && gVar1 && gVar2 && gArray[temp]

and use it as

doSomeHandler gVar1, 17
-- and check what the current status is now
include "mydebug.lc"
doSomeOtherFunctions
-- and check again
include "mydebug.lc"

note that you can now change the file to do any other logging you might
want, and each occurrence will be changed.

NB - I have never used 'include' except in a few places where I should
have used require :-)
And I've never wanted to use it as I just described :-) :-)

require is similar, but the file contents will only be inserted the
*first* time; so it's useful to include the source of library-like
functions. And you don't need to worry if you do this in multiple
places. I used to use this a lot.

Note that include and require are both specific to LC server. I
basically no longer use them, now that we have script-only stacks. I now
develop 99% of all LC server functionality as script-only stacks,
testing in either the IDE or via LCServer as needed. And for this, you
use "start using" just like in the IDE world.

-- Alex.

P.S. Note - there are (I think) strange subtleties in using globals
and/or script locals in include'd / require'd files - very confusing,
and I suspect it's a bug - but  couldn't quite come up with a reliable
mental model or example; that was when I just converted to script-only
library stacks.

On 30/11/2018 16:26, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:

> Ahh... I see that the revIgniter library is the way to go for my number 2
> question and I am immersed in the docs. But I'm still wondering about my
> question # 1 (differences between "Include", "Require" and "Start using")
>
> I've been using LiveCode Server for a few years now with great success as
> various web services from LCS. I started this when I was a relative newbie.
> I access my library stacks via "Start using".
> 1) Can anyone shed some light on the subtle differences between "Include",
> "Require" and "Start using"? The docs are not clear to me.
>
> I'm starting a new project using interactive web pages. I have an in house
> web designer that I need to show how to call LC server scripts to populate
> web pages. I would rather use LC Server and MySQL and my on-staff html
> designer rather than sub it all out using vb.net and SQL server.
> 2) Are there any examples of how to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

RE: LiveCode Server

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Thanks Alex,

For my first web services I implementing the "start using" of library stacks method back in the day. Like you I moved to "start using" of script only library stacks. I'll just keep chugging along with "start using"s. I'll keep include/require on the back shelf for now...

Thanks again!

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Ralph DiMola wrote:

 > For my first web services I implementing the "start using" of library
 > stacks method back in the day. Like you I moved to "start using" of
 > script only library stacks. I'll just keep chugging along with "start
 > using"s. I'll keep include/require on the back shelf for now...

Good move.

The more you stick with language features common to both the Server and
desktop LC engines, the greater opportunities there are for crafting
very helpful test harnesses you can use right in the IDE without having
to deal with the building-a-ship-in-a-bottle experience of LC Server.