Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
The Livecode Server 8.1.4 contains a PDF called LiveCodeNotes-8_1_4-server.pdf. Turns out it is NOT the PDF for server, but rather for the IDE. I am trying to get LC Server running under Linux. I've installed Apache2 (I think) and now am at an impasse.

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I am at http://lessons.livecode.com/spaces/lessons/buckets/809/lessons/36652-How-do-I-install-LiveCode-Server-on-Linux-with-Apache-. I get Page not found.

Bob S

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 13:57 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The Livecode Server 8.1.4 contains a PDF called LiveCodeNotes-8_1_4-server.pdf. Turns out it is NOT the PDF for server, but rather for the IDE. I am trying to get LC Server running under Linux. I've installed Apache2 (I think) and now am at an impasse.

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Try this, Bob. The docs-web-db have all been re-done.

http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36652-how-do-i-install-livecode-server-on-linux-with-apache

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am at http://lessons.livecode.com/spaces/lessons/buckets/809/
> lessons/36652-How-do-I-install-LiveCode-Server-on-Linux-with-Apache-. I
> get Page not found.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jun 16, 2017, at 13:57 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The Livecode Server 8.1.4 contains a PDF called
> LiveCodeNotes-8_1_4-server.pdf. Turns out it is NOT the PDF for server,
> but rather for the IDE. I am trying to get LC Server running under Linux.
> I've installed Apache2 (I think) and now am at an impasse.
> >
> > Bob S

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
If you want to hook it up the other way, let me know.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Stephen Barncard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Try this, Bob. The docs-web-db have all been re-done.
>
> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36652-how-do-i-install-
> livecode-server-on-linux-with-apache
>
> --
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am at http://lessons.livecode.com/spaces/lessons/buckets/809/lesso
>> ns/36652-How-do-I-install-LiveCode-Server-on-Linux-with-Apache-. I get
>> Page not found.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> > On Jun 16, 2017, at 13:57 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > The Livecode Server 8.1.4 contains a PDF called
>> LiveCodeNotes-8_1_4-server.pdf. Turns out it is NOT the PDF for server,
>> but rather for the IDE. I am trying to get LC Server running under Linux.
>> I've installed Apache2 (I think) and now am at an impasse.
>> >
>> > Bob S

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Thanks this is what I need. :-)

Bob S

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 14:06 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try this, Bob. The docs-web-db have all been re-done.
>
> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36652-how-do-i-install-livecode-server-on-linux-with-apache
>
> --
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Yeah, not so much. There is a section which talks about modules being installed, and a link which takes me to the Apache.org docs, which by the way says version 2.0 is no longer maintained, and for example the first module mod_cgi tells me what the module does, but gives me no way to install/enable it. Also, I followed the instructions for modifying the Apache2.conf file (I have been jacking my permissions to 777 all over the place just so I could do ANY of this) and now Apache2 will not start. It says there is an error on line 176 (the text editor does not number lines) but I figured out which one it is. It's the one that says Action livecode-script /livecode-cgi/livecode-server. I checked, it's right, which leads me to believe that it's because those modules are not enabled.

If anyone's eyes are bleeding to read this, imagine my pain. All I want is a document telling me how to get Livecode Server up and running on Linux. I mean a document that works. That has everything I need. Otherwise, Livecode Server is a complete bust if attempting to install it locally, unless you are already an Apache Guru.

Bob S

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 14:14 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks this is what I need. :-)
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jun 16, 2017, at 14:06 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Try this, Bob. The docs-web-db have all been re-done.
>>
>> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36652-how-do-i-install-livecode-server-on-linux-with-apache
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
>> mixstream.org

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Hi Robert,

The lesson might be a bit outdated, and there differences between the
various Linux systems. Did you have a look at the LC Server forum? It has a
lot of useful info:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Panos
--

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, not so much. There is a section which talks about modules being
> installed, and a link which takes me to the Apache.org docs, which by the
> way says version 2.0 is no longer maintained, and for example the first
> module mod_cgi tells me what the module does, but gives me no way to
> install/enable it. Also, I followed the instructions for modifying the
> Apache2.conf file (I have been jacking my permissions to 777 all over the
> place just so I could do ANY of this) and now Apache2 will not start. It
> says there is an error on line 176 (the text editor does not number lines)
> but I figured out which one it is. It's the one that says Action
> livecode-script /livecode-cgi/livecode-server. I checked, it's right, which
> leads me to believe that it's because those modules are not enabled.
>
> If anyone's eyes are bleeding to read this, imagine my pain. All I want is
> a document telling me how to get Livecode Server up and running on Linux. I
> mean a document that works. That has everything I need. Otherwise, Livecode
> Server is a complete bust if attempting to install it locally, unless you
> are already an Apache Guru.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jun 16, 2017, at 14:14 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks this is what I need. :-)
> >
> > Bob S
> >

> >> On Jun 16, 2017, at 14:06 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Try this, Bob. The docs-web-db have all been re-done.
> >>
> >> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36652-how-do-i-install-
> livecode-server-on-linux-with-apache
> >>
> >> --
> >> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> >> mixstream.org

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Stephen was kind enough to provide me with a newer document, but as I mentioned, following the document to the letter will not get you to the point where it works. I will try the forum. I'm afraid I am going to be a real pain in the arse at first because I know almost nothing about Linux. I have to say though, my first impressions are that you have to already know about the things you are trying to leard for the first time in order to get along. Kind of like bootstrap code on a computer.

Bob S

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 15:16 , panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> The lesson might be a bit outdated, and there differences between the
> various Linux systems. Did you have a look at the LC Server forum? It has a
> lot of useful info:
>
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=15
>
> Panos

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Okay all thank you for your help. I am giving up.

<rant>
When I read all the crap that has to be done just to get Apache to the point where you can ever run Livecode Server, I remember why I avoid Linux like West Africa during the Ebola outbreak. Even with a GUI, Linux is decidedly unfriendly, requiring I set permissions to every folder and file I touch for starters. Then the torrent of terminal commands any one of which I might type wrong, or something else needs to happen first because the writer of the article wasn't working with the partticular flavor or version of Linux or Apache... MY GOD! Can I just get a fricking installer??? No, no I can't. Because it's Linux.
</rant>

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
It should be something on the Apache config. On Monday I will look at the
config we have at the office Linux machine that runs LC server and let you
know if you are still interested.

Panos

On 16 Jun 2017 23:29, "Bob Sneidar via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay all thank you for your help. I am giving up.
>
> <rant>
> When I read all the crap that has to be done just to get Apache to the
> point where you can ever run Livecode Server, I remember why I avoid Linux
> like West Africa during the Ebola outbreak. Even with a GUI, Linux is
> decidedly unfriendly, requiring I set permissions to every folder and file
> I touch for starters. Then the torrent of terminal commands any one of
> which I might type wrong, or something else needs to happen first because
> the writer of the article wasn't working with the partticular flavor or
> version of Linux or Apache... MY GOD! Can I just get a fricking
> installer??? No, no I can't. Because it's Linux.
> </rant>

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Thanks that will be helpful. I'm trying to get to the point where I can use the database library that encrypts traffic to and from a mySQL server via a web page. Seems like it ought to be a fairly simple thing to do, but looks can be deceiving.

Bob S

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 15:38 , panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It should be something on the Apache config. On Monday I will look at the
> config we have at the office Linux machine that runs LC server and let you
> know if you are still interested.
>
> Panos

Re: Server Installation

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > <rant>
 > When I read all the crap that has to be done just to get Apache to the
 > point where you can ever run Livecode Server, I remember why I avoid
 > Linux like West Africa during the Ebola outbreak. Even with a GUI,
 > Linux is decidedly unfriendly, requiring I set permissions to every
 > folder and file I touch for starters.

If the system is only used as a server, a GUI will just eat up
resources. And as you've found, it doesn't provide much that's useful to
a server, since few servers install a GUI.

There's a general spectrum between usability and security:  the most
secure systems are often the hardest to use, and the easiest systems to
use are often easy for hackers too.

I used to hate setting up Apache for the same reasons you noted, but I
found that on any UNIX-based system the file permissions are very
powerful and worth learning.  You'll find them on OS X as well, except
trying to set up Apache on OS X requires editing one more file than most
Linux servers require.  In many cases you'll find you don't need to
change permissions and then change them back; you can temporarily raise
your own permissions with sudo to edit files and leave permissions as
originally configured.

Many good Linux distros ship with no open ports and strict permissions.
This is ultimately a good thing, reducing the potential attack surface
as small as practical.

The good news is that it leaves you in control of what's reachable, and
by whom.  The bad news is that you're responsible for setting up what's
reachable and by whom.

It sounds like you're using a VPS or dedicated machine, rather than a
shared host, yes?

I missed which Linux distro you're using.  Has the Apache install there
already enabled CGI?

Apache's docs on that may help:
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/cgi.html>

If you're using Ubuntu this distro-specific tutorial may be easier to
follow:
<https://code-maven.com/set-up-cgi-with-apache>

 > Then the torrent of terminal commands any one of which I might type
 > wrong

I started learning bash on OS X, since at the time I was more familiar
with it. I found that very helpful when I later needed to spend more
time managing my Linux VPSes.

 > or something else needs to happen first because the writer of
 > the article wasn't working with the partticular flavor or version of
 > Linux or Apache... MY GOD!

Most aspects of setting up Apache are common to all UNIX-based systems,
but now and then you'll find differences between OS X and Linux, or
between one Linux distro and another.

One of the benefits of choosing a popular distro is the scope of
tutorials for it.  If you can tell us which distro and version you're
using I may be able to find a good one.

 > Can I just get a fricking installer??? No, no I can't. Because it's
 > Linux.

Au contraire, mon ami.  While Linux offers the flexibility to install
packages individually, you can also have all the LAMP stuff installed in
one line with TaskSel.  And there are other options, including a vast
world of provisioning tools for the platform, which is one of the
reasons Linux has taken over most of the server universe.  No one at AWS
or Dreamhost or other large facility is hand-editing config files.
Everything is automatable.

The challenge is that most LAMP installation options assume you want
LAMP, where the "P" is for "PHP".  We'll need to grow the LiveCode
platform to see more installation options for LAML.

If someone has time to write a bash script that would be cool, though
perhaps distro- and maybe even version-specific.  With bash you could
download the latest LC Server, unzip it, enable CGI on Apache, alter the
relevant Apache config to use LC Server for ".lc" files, and then test
it to make sure it works.  It would be handy to have.

Perhaps better might be a more generalized tool like Ansible, which can
be helpful for deploying services on a server in one line.  I'm sure
there are Ansible playbooks for enabling CGI; I don't know of a playbook
for setting up LC Server, but it would be a nice community project.

And containers like Docker are all the rage, both for easy of deployment
and for containment.  If you're using Docker there's a Docker container
for LiveCode here:
<https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/>

 > </rant>

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Not sure i'm on the exact same version and setup of apache, but on a
droplet I just set up, these are the steps I took to get it working.

First I enabled actions
a2enmod actions

you need to do this as root, or have sudo privelages, with sudo it would be
sudo a2enmod actions
Also enable cgi..
sudo a2enmod cgi

Then you need to edit a couple files.

The files in question for me are in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
edit the actions.conf file and add a line..
Action lc-script /cgi-bin/lcserver  where lc server is the full name of the
lc server executable

Then edit mime.conf and add a line..  If you search for AddHandler in the
file you can locate the correct area.
AddHandler lc-script .lc
and save the file

Download and unzip the lcserver stuff into the cgi-bin folder.  For me it
is located at /usr/lib/cgi-bin
I put the executable and folders in the toplevel there to match the actions
line above.
Then I made the executable.. um.. executable with chmod 755 lcserver
(again, whatever name you have for the version you grabbed. )
 Then i added a test file.  In my case the main html directory is in
/var/www/html
I created a file test.lc with code that just puts a random number out.

At this point, restart the service.
sudo service apache2 reload

Hopefully your setup is similar enough that this will get you going.

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks that will be helpful. I'm trying to get to the point where I can
> use the database library that encrypts traffic to and from a mySQL server
> via a web page. Seems like it ought to be a fairly simple thing to do, but
> looks can be deceiving.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jun 16, 2017, at 15:38 , panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It should be something on the Apache config. On Monday I will look at the
> > config we have at the office Linux machine that runs LC server and let
> you
> > know if you are still interested.
> >
> > Panos

Re: Server Installation

Richard wrote:

> If someone has time to write a bash script that would be cool, though
> perhaps distro- and maybe even version-specific.  With bash you could
> download the latest LC Server, unzip it, enable CGI on Apache, alter the
> relevant Apache config to use LC Server for ".lc" files, and then test
> it to make sure it works.  It would be handy to have.

Ok, I want this. Who does it? I am throwing $500 in the pot…
Someone also willing to write a .bat for Windows and maybe make the Linux one work on Mac OS also???

This would save so much time and would make sure people who want to fiddle with liveCode server does not need to go through the hassle of needing to be a system pro. And for those who want to deploy open source projects it would help a lot, as end users could easier install everything themselves without needing to ask for help and without needing to understand the technical underpinning…

Cheers,

Malte

Re: Server Installation

Malte wrote:

 > Richard wrote:
 >
 >> If someone has time to write a bash script that would be cool, though
 >> perhaps distro- and maybe even version-specific.  With bash you could
 >> download the latest LC Server, unzip it, enable CGI on Apache, alter
 >> the relevant Apache config to use LC Server for ".lc" files, and then
 >> test it to make sure it works.  It would be handy to have.
 >
 > Ok, I want this. Who does it? I am throwing $500 in the pot…
 > Someone also willing to write a .bat for Windows and maybe make the
 > Linux one work on Mac OS also???

I'd do an initial version for that which would handle Ubuntu 14.04 and
Ubuntu 16.04, under MIT so everyone can extend it for Mac and Windows if
they need.

Do we want VPS, or should we consider versions for shared hosts?  There
are subtle differences between shared hosts that can make them more
challenging, but the upside is they have pro admins hardening and
monitoring so they're a better option for newcomers to get started.

I could also write a script to harden a VPS, but doing it well requires
using the script carefully, after setting up shared SSH keys, because I
prefer to completely turn off password login on any system where I can.

 > This would save so much time and would make sure people who want to
 > fiddle with liveCode server does not need to go through the hassle of
 > needing to be a system pro. And for those who want to deploy open
 > source projects it would help a lot, as end users could easier install
 > everything themselves without needing to ask for help and without
 > needing to understand the technical underpinning…

There's the rub:  we can automate setting things up, but without an
understanding of what a server needs to be robust and secure then what
happens with the LiveCode scripts it enables?

Anything connected to the Internet implies a non-trivial level of
responsibility.

Enabling all the power of LiveCode to become accessible to the Internet
is powerful, but automating it almost encourages cargo cult development
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming>).

With things that only run on your own local machine, cargo cult errors
are trivial.  But with a machine connected to the Internet it may make
the system compromised, perhaps in ways that would be difficult to detect.

We should think carefully about this.

For the amount proposed, I'd write a very good tutorial that would
enable people to set it up themselves, and understand what each step is
doing.

I think over the life cycle of a server, that may be a better investment.

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I think it is worth saying that if you are wanting to host your own server
online - it is well worth the pain of learning how to setup everything
yourself.

A control panel or a setup script would be great (my personal preference
would be a setup script) - you do still need some experience to run a
server online and trouble shoot any problems that can occur. Neglecting
even something very small can have disastrous results - something I have
learnt the hard way when I had a VPS hacked a many years ago. Learn the
basic Linux commands, administer a firewall, use vim or nano to edit files,
setup cron jobs, restart services, monitor resources, manage user rights,
setup sftp or ftp, tweak mysql etc. You will be a better developer for it.

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows PC and still need to
install a local web server and I also need to setup a new Linux server
hopefully in the next day or two - I will document everything I do and
share that - hopefully its of help.

Simon

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Malte wrote:
>
> > Richard wrote:
> >
> >> If someone has time to write a bash script that would be cool, though
> >> perhaps distro- and maybe even version-specific.  With bash you could
> >> download the latest LC Server, unzip it, enable CGI on Apache, alter
> >> the relevant Apache config to use LC Server for ".lc" files, and then
> >> test it to make sure it works.  It would be handy to have.
> >
> > Ok, I want this. Who does it? I am throwing $500 in the pot…
> > Someone also willing to write a .bat for Windows and maybe make the
> > Linux one work on Mac OS also???
>
> I'd do an initial version for that which would handle Ubuntu 14.04 and
> Ubuntu 16.04, under MIT so everyone can extend it for Mac and Windows if
> they need.
>
> Do we want VPS, or should we consider versions for shared hosts?  There
> are subtle differences between shared hosts that can make them more
> challenging, but the upside is they have pro admins hardening and
> monitoring so they're a better option for newcomers to get started.
>
> I could also write a script to harden a VPS, but doing it well requires
> using the script carefully, after setting up shared SSH keys, because I
> prefer to completely turn off password login on any system where I can.
>

> > This would save so much time and would make sure people who want to
> > fiddle with liveCode server does not need to go through the hassle of
> > needing to be a system pro. And for those who want to deploy open
> > source projects it would help a lot, as end users could easier install
> > everything themselves without needing to ask for help and without
> > needing to understand the technical underpinning…
>
> There's the rub:  we can automate setting things up, but without an
> understanding of what a server needs to be robust and secure then what
> happens with the LiveCode scripts it enables?
>
> Anything connected to the Internet implies a non-trivial level of
> responsibility.
>
> Enabling all the power of LiveCode to become accessible to the Internet is
> powerful, but automating it almost encourages cargo cult development (<
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming>).
>
> With things that only run on your own local machine, cargo cult errors are
> trivial.  But with a machine connected to the Internet it may make the
> system compromised, perhaps in ways that would be difficult to detect.
>
> We should think carefully about this.
>
> For the amount proposed, I'd write a very good tutorial that would enable
> people to set it up themselves, and understand what each step is doing.
>
> I think over the life cycle of a server, that may be a better investment.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Carpe diem

*Simon Smith*
m. +27 83 306 7862

Re: Server Installation

On 18/06/2017 7:23 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Malte wrote:
>
> > Ok, I want this. Who does it? I am throwing $500 in the pot…
> > Someone also willing to write a .bat for Windows and maybe make the
> > Linux one work on Mac OS also???
>
> I'd do an initial version for that which would handle Ubuntu 14.04 and
> Ubuntu 16.04, under MIT so everyone can extend it for Mac and Windows
> if they need.
>
> Do we want VPS, or should we consider versions for shared hosts? There
> are subtle differences between shared hosts that can make them more
> challenging, but the upside is they have pro admins hardening and
> monitoring so they're a better option for newcomers to get started.
>
> I could also write a script to harden a VPS, but doing it well
> requires using the script carefully, after setting up shared SSH keys,
> because I prefer to completely turn off password login on any system
> where I can
In case it may help... you can take a look at a Docker image I wrote
that builds Livecode server with Apache in a base Ubuntu environment.

Specifically the Dockerfile (which builds the Docker image) is
essentially just set of bash commands that builds everything that is
needed.  The Apache config file used for the Docker image is also there.

https://github.com/techstrategies/docker-livecode

For those who know what Docker is (or want to try use it), the Docker
image is available on hub.docker.com:

https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/

Cheers,

Charles

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
There's an excellent written & video tutorial by David Bovill on setting up
livecode server on a digital ocean VPS. It's very straightforward & I had
LC server up and running in 5 mins

http://david.bovill.me/ocean.admin.fedwiki.org/livecode-server-on-digitalocean

https://vimeo.com/131920147

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Charles Warwick via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/06/2017 7:23 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Malte wrote:
>>
>> > Ok, I want this. Who does it? I am throwing $500 in the pot…
>> > Someone also willing to write a .bat for Windows and maybe make the
>> > Linux one work on Mac OS also???
>>
>> I'd do an initial version for that which would handle Ubuntu 14.04 and
>> Ubuntu 16.04, under MIT so everyone can extend it for Mac and Windows if
>> they need.
>>
>> Do we want VPS, or should we consider versions for shared hosts? There
>> are subtle differences between shared hosts that can make them more
>> challenging, but the upside is they have pro admins hardening and
>> monitoring so they're a better option for newcomers to get started.
>>
>> I could also write a script to harden a VPS, but doing it well requires
>> using the script carefully, after setting up shared SSH keys, because I
>> prefer to completely turn off password login on any system where I can
>>
> In case it may help... you can take a look at a Docker image I wrote that
> builds Livecode server with Apache in a base Ubuntu environment.
>
> Specifically the Dockerfile (which builds the Docker image) is essentially
> just set of bash commands that builds everything that is needed.  The
> Apache config file used for the Docker image is also there.
>
> https://github.com/techstrategies/docker-livecode
>
> For those who know what Docker is (or want to try use it), the Docker
> image is available on hub.docker.com:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles

Re: Server Installation

Simon Smith wrote:

 > I think it is worth saying that if you are wanting to host your own
 > server online - it is well worth the pain of learning how to setup
 > everything yourself.
 >
 > A control panel or a setup script would be great (my personal
 > preference would be a setup script) - you do still need some
 > experience to run a server online and trouble shoot any problems
 > that can occur. Neglecting even something very small can have
 > disastrous results - something I have learnt the hard way when I
 > had a VPS hacked a many years ago. Learn the basic Linux commands,
 > administer a firewall, use vim or nano to edit files, setup cron
 > jobs, restart services, monitor resources, manage user rights,
 > setup sftp or ftp, tweak mysql etc. You will be a better developer
 > for it.

Good points, well said.

As I'm beginning to learn security forensics, I'm curious:  what was the
entry point for that hack?  What did you learn from it, what do you do
differently having experienced that?

 > I am in the process of setting up a new Windows PC and still need to
 > install a local web server and I also need to setup a new Linux server
 > hopefully in the next day or two - I will document everything I do and
 > share that - hopefully its of help.

A very generous offer, much appreciated.

For those of you excited at the prospect of managing a server, I found
The Official Ubuntu Server Book by Kyle Rankin and Benjamin Mako Hill
very helpful.  The 3rd Edition is coming out in August, but the 2nd
Edition is quite relevant even now:
<https://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Server-Book-3rd/dp/0133017532>

The free community documentation for Ubuntu is quite good too.  Here you
can find the guides for Ubuntu server and desktop, and the server guides
are available as HTML and PDF for both current LTS (Long-Term Support)
releases, 14.04 and 16.04:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/>

Re: Server Installation

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
True, if using terminal, but I was editing the file with the GUI text editor. I suppsoe I could have launched the text editor as sudo...

Bob S