Server error?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi all,

I am currently working on a stack in LC 5.x for a customer.
This stack only loads another stack from a server and displays it.

Works fine in the IDE, but I get this error when trying this in the
standalone, alle externals etc. are in fact present.

The error reads:
Cannot connect
error error:1407742E:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1
alert protocol version

Maybe this is a mismatch between the SSL version on the server
and the SSL version in LC5.x?

But then it should also not work in the IDE!? This is very strange.

Any insights and workarounds, if any, are very welcome, thanks!

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Server error?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
TLSv1 is dead. It uses the OpenSSL library that had the Heartbleed vulnerability. Not sure if v5 libraries can use the latest encryption libraries. I don’t know why not.

Bob S

> On Dec 30, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently working on a stack in LC 5.x for a customer.
> This stack only loads another stack from a server and displays it.
>
> Works fine in the IDE, but I get this error when trying this in the
> standalone, alle externals etc. are in fact present.
>
> The error reads:
> Cannot connect
> error error:1407742E:SSL
> routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1
> alert protocol version
>
> Maybe this is a mismatch between the SSL version on the server
> and the SSL version in LC5.x?
>
> But then it should also not work in the IDE!? This is very strange.
>
> Any insights and workarounds, if any, are very welcome, thanks!
>

> Best
>
> Klaus
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Server error?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Bob,

> Am 30.12.2020 um 23:59 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> TLSv1 is dead. It uses the OpenSSL library that had the Heartbleed vulnerability. Not sure if v5 libraries can use the latest encryption libraries. I don’t know why not.

the big question is:
Why does it work in the IDE, but not in a runtime made with the same IDE?

Seems that the IDE and the runtime use different "revSecurity.dll"s?!

>> I am currently working on a stack in LC 5.x for a customer.
>> This stack only loads another stack from a server and displays it.
>>
>> Works fine in the IDE, but I get this error when trying this in the
>> standalone, alle externals etc. are in fact present.
>> The error reads:
>> Cannot connect
>> error error:1407742E:SSL
>> routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1
>> alert protocol version
>> Maybe this is a mismatch between the SSL version on the server
>> and the SSL version in LC5.x?
>> But then it should also not work in the IDE!? This is very strange.
>> Any insights and workarounds, if any, are very welcome, thanks!

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Server error?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Bob,

> Am 31.12.2020 um 01:53 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Just a shot in the dark, when you are working in the IDE, do you have a newer version of Livecode running?

no.

> Am 30.12.2020 um 23:59 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> TLSv1 is dead. It uses the OpenSSL library that had the Heartbleed vulnerability. Not sure if v5 libraries can use the latest encryption libraries. I don’t know why not.
>
> the big question is: Why does it work in the IDE, but not in a runtime made with the same IDE?
> Seems that the IDE and the runtime use different "revSecurity.dll"s?!

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Server error? SOLVED

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi all,

we could finally solve the problem by copying the revsecurity.dll from
LC 9 to the LC 5.x runtime folder! 8-)

I really had no idea that they were compatible!?

Nevertheless I will write to the mothership next week, just to get to
know why everythings works fine in the IDE but not in a runtime.

On 2020-12-31 11:08, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we could finally solve the problem by copying the revsecurity.dll from
> LC 9 to the LC 5.x runtime folder! 8-)
>
> I really had no idea that they were compatible!?
>
> Nevertheless I will write to the mothership next week, just to get to
> know why everythings works fine in the IDE but not in a runtime.

The IDE loads different DLLs from those it includes in standalones. So
there is a revsecurity.dll (near/next to) the IDE engine on Windows, and
also one in the Runtime/Windows... folder. The latter is copied into
standalones, the former is only used by the IDE.

It suggests that you have previously copied a newer DLL over the one
near the IDE engine - so it works in the IDE... Then when you copied the
same DLL into the runtime folder, it then works in standalones too.

The DLLs from newer versions aren't guaranteed to be compatible with
older versions - in the specific case of revsecurity it depends on
whether OpenSSL has changed its API in a way which causes an
incompatibility but it hasn't done this very often (fortunately in this
case, it would seem!).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Server error? SOLVED

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Mark,

> Am 31.12.2020 um 12:30 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 2020-12-31 11:08, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> we could finally solve the problem by copying the revsecurity.dll from
>> LC 9 to the LC 5.x runtime folder! 8-)
>> I really had no idea that they were compatible!?
>> Nevertheless I will write to the mothership next week, just to get to
>> know why everythings works fine in the IDE but not in a runtime.
>
> The IDE loads different DLLs from those it includes in standalones. So there is a revsecurity.dll (near/next to) the IDE engine on Windows, and also one in the Runtime/Windows... folder. The latter is copied into standalones, the former is only used by the IDE.

OK, so there ARE in fact two different versions.

> It suggests that you have previously copied a newer DLL over the one near the IDE engine - so it works in the IDE...
> Then when you copied the same DLL into the runtime folder, it then works in standalones too.

I cannot speak for my customer, but maybe that is the case with him.

However I have a "stock" Mac installation of LC 5.02 on my Mac, which I did NOT alter in any way.
But here the same thing happened, it worked in the IDE, but not in the runtime!?

And on the Mac there is even not revsecurity.dll, I think this functionality is in the engine.

> The DLLs from newer versions aren't guaranteed to be compatible with older versions - in the specific case of revsecurity it depends on whether OpenSSL has changed its API in a way which causes an incompatibility but it hasn't done this very often (fortunately in this case, it would seem!).

Yo! :-)

> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.

Thanks for the explanation!

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Server error? SOLVED

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Bob,

> Am 31.12.2020 um 18:01 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey, what I said! :-)

oh, really?
Sorry must have missed that. :-(

Anyway, a happy (and better) new year, everybody!