Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi folks,

Today I came across this issue, affecting Android 7 and Android 8:

on openStack
   set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
end openStack

This results in black screen when the app starts.

Workaround:

on openStack
  send "fixit" to me in 0 millisec
end openStack

on fixit
  set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
end fixit

I'll file a report soon.

Hope this helps,
Panos

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Does it work if you set acceleratedRendering in preOpenStack or
preOpenCard? It seems to work okay for me that way.

On 9/20/17 5:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Today I came across this issue, affecting Android 7 and Android 8:
>
> on openStack
>     set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
> end openStack
>

> This results in black screen when the app starts.
>

> Workaround:
>
> on openStack
>    send "fixit" to me in 0 millisec
> end openStack
>
> on fixit
>    set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
> end fixit
>
> I'll file a report soon.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Panos
> —

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Jacque,

Are you on Android 7 or 8? It does not work for me if I set the
acceleratedRendering in preopenstack or openstack. I did not check with
opencard/preopencard.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does it work if you set acceleratedRendering in preOpenStack or
> preOpenCard? It seems to work okay for me that way.
>

> On 9/20/17 5:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Today I came across this issue, affecting Android 7 and Android 8:
>>
>> on openStack
>>     set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
>> end openStack
>>

>> This results in black screen when the app starts.
>>

>> Workaround:
>>
>> on openStack
>>    send "fixit" to me in 0 millisec
>> end openStack
>>
>> on fixit
>>    set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
>> end fixit
>>
>> I'll file a report soon.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Panos
>> —

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
I have a Pixel that was just updated to Oreo (Android 8) and running
Swami's app works okay. That's the one app I happen to have installed
that uses acceleratedRendering quite a bit.

He's made some changes recently that turns it on and off after the card
has already loaded, but on some cards it loads on preOpenCard or
preOpenStack. I guess I should poke around and see where those cards are
so I can test it again for you.

On 9/20/17 5:04 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Are you on Android 7 or 8? It does not work for me if I set the
> acceleratedRendering in preopenstack or openstack. I did not check with
> opencard/preopencard.
>
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does it work if you set acceleratedRendering in preOpenStack or
>> preOpenCard? It seems to work okay for me that way.
>>

>> On 9/20/17 5:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Today I came across this issue, affecting Android 7 and Android 8:
>>>
>>> on openStack
>>>      set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
>>> end openStack
>>>

>>> This results in black screen when the app starts.
>>>

>>> Workaround:
>>>
>>> on openStack
>>>     send "fixit" to me in 0 millisec
>>> end openStack
>>>
>>> on fixit
>>>     set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true
>>> end fixit
>>>
>>> I'll file a report soon.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Panos
>>> —

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Panos: I just tested Swami's app on my Pixel running Oreo (Android 8)
and acceleratedRendering seems to be working okay. There is a
preOpenStack handler in the stack script:

on preopenstack
    wait 100 milliseconds with messages
    set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "ShowAll"
    set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to "true"
end preopenstack

The "wait" was to fix something else, but I wonder if it is allowing
acceleratedRendering to kick in too. That would seem similar to your
suggestion to send the message in time.

On 9/21/17 12:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> I have a Pixel that was just updated to Oreo (Android 8) and running
> Swami's app works okay. That's the one app I happen to have installed
> that uses acceleratedRendering quite a bit.
>
> He's made some changes recently that turns it on and off after the card
> has already loaded, but on some cards it loads on preOpenCard or
> preOpenStack. I guess I should poke around and see where those cards are
> so I can test it again for you.
>
> On 9/20/17 5:04 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi Jacque,
>>
>> Are you on Android 7 or 8? It does not work for me if I set the
>> acceleratedRendering in preopenstack or openstack. I did not check with
>> opencard/preopencard.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Does it work if you set acceleratedRendering in preOpenStack or
>>> preOpenCard? It seems to work okay for me that way.

>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Jacque,

Thanks for checking. Yes, it seems that the "wait" is probably fixing
things here. I also tested on a Pixel running Oreo.

Best regards,
Panos
--

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Panos: I just tested Swami's app on my Pixel running Oreo (Android 8) and
> acceleratedRendering seems to be working okay. There is a preOpenStack
> handler in the stack script:
>
> on preopenstack
>    wait 100 milliseconds with messages
>    set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "ShowAll"
>    set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to "true"
> end preopenstack
>
> The "wait" was to fix something else, but I wonder if it is allowing
> acceleratedRendering to kick in too. That would seem similar to your
> suggestion to send the message in time.
>

> On 9/21/17 12:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> I have a Pixel that was just updated to Oreo (Android 8) and running
>> Swami's app works okay. That's the one app I happen to have installed that
>> uses acceleratedRendering quite a bit.
>>
>> He's made some changes recently that turns it on and off after the card
>> has already loaded, but on some cards it loads on preOpenCard or
>> preOpenStack. I guess I should poke around and see where those cards are so
>> I can test it again for you.
>>
>> On 9/20/17 5:04 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jacque,
>>>
>>> Are you on Android 7 or 8? It does not work for me if I set the
>>> acceleratedRendering in preopenstack or openstack. I did not check with
>>> opencard/preopencard.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does it work if you set acceleratedRendering in preOpenStack or

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
It's kind of odd though, because the wait occurs before
acceleratedRendering is set. I'm not sure how a prior wait could affect
a command that hasn't happened yet.

On 9/22/17 2:20 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Thanks for checking. Yes, it seems that the "wait" is probably fixing
> things here. I also tested on a Pixel running Oreo.
>
> Best regards,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Panos: I just tested Swami's app on my Pixel running Oreo (Android 8) and
>> acceleratedRendering seems to be working okay. There is a preOpenStack
>> handler in the stack script:
>>
>> on preopenstack
>>     wait 100 milliseconds with messages
>>     set the fullScreenMode of this stack to "ShowAll"
>>     set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to "true"
>> end preopenstack
>>
>> The "wait" was to fix something else, but I wonder if it is allowing
>> acceleratedRendering to kick in too. That would seem similar to your
>> suggestion to send the message in time.
>>

>> On 9/21/17 12:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Pixel that was just updated to Oreo (Android 8) and running
>>> Swami's app works okay. That's the one app I happen to have installed that
>>> uses acceleratedRendering quite a bit.
>>>
>>> He's made some changes recently that turns it on and off after the card
>>> has already loaded, but on some cards it loads on preOpenCard or
>>> preOpenStack. I guess I should poke around and see where those cards are so
>>> I can test it again for you.

Re: Setting the acceleratedRendering to true on startup on Android 7 and Android 8

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Not only that… but I think we have other stacks where the wait is applied before accelerated rendering and it is stills stopping on exit/resume.

I'm deep into refactoring… will get around to deploy again on devices in a day or so… will report back again then.