Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Alex in a postscript wrote...
> btw - whose bright idea was it to not put a 'sharp' key visible on a
> British Mac keyboard :-) ?

Of course # is a sharp character.
Being in Australia which had moved to decimal currency by the time PCs were available we had the # on our keyboards. But being not such a young man I remember our previous currency (my first job was a paperboy which netted me £1 17s 6p per week) and so I noticed the lack of the £ symbol and that it had been replaced by the #.
The thing is I still refer (internally) to it as a 'pound' symbol.

James

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

dunbarx
James,

So do we in the US, though sometimes the word "hash" has been seen to creep about.

Craig

Craig wrote:
> So do we in the US, though sometimes the word "hash" has been seen to creep
> about.

Now you mention it I use this too.
Seems we can internally hold multiple synonyms without even realizing that is what we are doing.

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Point taken. When communicating, we never really listen to what is being said, but rather to what is likely meant. This can cause confusion sometimes, but the obvious advantage is that we get on with minimal fuss. Computer languages don't tolerate such things, unless you program them to. Hence the concept of synonyms.

So long as we all generally agree that "#" can be called "pound, Hash or Sharp" (not so sure I agree with the last one btw) then we can talk about it. So far as the computer is concerned, it's ascii(035) and even that is a synonym for 00100010.

Bob S

On 2017-06-29 18:45, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> So long as we all generally agree that "#" can be called "pound, Hash
> or Sharp" (not so sure I agree with the last one btw) then we can talk
> about it. So far as the computer is concerned, it's ascii(035) and
> even that is a synonym for 00100010.

'Sharp' because it is used in music to denote sharpening of the base
note (despite my musical background, I still see it as 'hash' in my mind
when I see it though).

Just noting something Alex said about # not being directly accessible on
Mac (it is Alt/Option - 3) - I always found this somewhat amusing... I
often wondered if it is because in the early days Apple favoured Pascal
as its primary implementation language beyond assembly - if it had been
C I suspect it would have been more accessible as C code (particularly
going back decades) uses # quite a lot...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Macintosh:

On a US keyboard the '#' sign is Shift-3 (where, on a British keyboard
there is a pound sign).

On a British keyboard, as Mark correctly states, it is Alt/Opt-3.

On a German keyboard the '#' is Shift + Alt/Opt-3.

On a French keyboard the '#' is Shift + Alt/Opt-'  (the key that is a
'\' on the US keyboard).

Reasonably accessible.

Richmond.

On 07/04/2017 12:28 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> 'Sharp' because it is used in music to denote sharpening of the base
> note (despite my musical background, I still see it as 'hash' in my mind
> when I see it though).

'#' is, was, and should be and octothorpe.

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Well . . . as the name "octothorpe" was coined by American telephone
engineers as recently as 1968
that seems extremely dubious . . . and quite where either the "octo"
(=8) or the "thorpe" (='viilage', c.f Doorp, Dorf) get
there is a really odd question.

(part of this maybe because everything has been, ultimately, invented in
Scotland)

It certainly should NOT be called a 'pound' sign, as that is either a
'£' (as derived from Librum) or 'lb' (as in either avoir dupois weight
or try weight.

It should ONLY be called a 'sharp' sign in the context of musical
notation (so the programming language 'C#' . . .).

'Number sign' doesn't sit nicely either as that brings it up against '№'.

Why don't we all AGREE to call it the 'headache' sign?

a.k.a. "cross-patch"

Richmond.

On 7/4/17 7:44 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 07/04/2017 12:28 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
>> 'Sharp' because it is used in music to denote sharpening of the base
>> note (despite my musical background, I still see it as 'hash' in my
>> mind when I see it though).
>
> '#' is, was, and should be and octothorpe.

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Sorry: "troy" weight is spelt "troy" (rather in the way "spelt" is spelt
"spelt").

R.

On 7/4/17 8:01 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Well . . . as the name "octothorpe" was coined by American telephone
> engineers as recently as 1968
> that seems extremely dubious . . . and quite where either the "octo"
> (=8) or the "thorpe" (='viilage', c.f Doorp, Dorf) get
> there is a really odd question.
>
> (part of this maybe because everything has been, ultimately, invented
> in Scotland)
>
> It certainly should NOT be called a 'pound' sign, as that is either a
> '£' (as derived from Librum) or 'lb' (as in either avoir dupois weight
> or try weight.
>
> It should ONLY be called a 'sharp' sign in the context of musical
> notation (so the programming language 'C#' . . .).
>
> 'Number sign' doesn't sit nicely either as that brings it up against '№'.
>
> Why don't we all AGREE to call it the 'headache' sign?
>
> a.k.a. "cross-patch"
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 7/4/17 7:44 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 07/04/2017 12:28 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
>>> 'Sharp' because it is used in music to denote sharpening of the base
>>> note (despite my musical background, I still see it as 'hash' in my
>>> mind when I see it though).
>>
>> '#' is, was, and should be and octothorpe.

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
And far less dubious if coined by Scottish farmers in 1668?? :-)

Bob S

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:01 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well . . . as the name "octothorpe" was coined by American telephone engineers as recently as 1968
> that seems extremely dubious . . .

Re: Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Doubtful as farmers in Scotland in 1668 would have
used Merks for their money, not pounds!

Richmond.