Simple Database without SQL

Chris Young-5
Perhaps this can't be done.

Is there anyway to save the data within a compiled
application?
or am I going to HAVE to use some type of External
database file?
( ie, simple text file, or database file or something
)

I'm trying to create a simple database application,
Without the need for SQL or anything external.

I would like to have a simple app that I can share
with my coworkers
without the need to also share a second file.
So far I have not found a way to save info once the
stack has been
compiled.

Any ideas?  or examples?

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Christian Langers
Hello Chris,

I think yes, you have to use a external file  if you're on a Win
system...

compiled apps can't be modified during runtime...

Christian

Le 20 mai 08 à 15:07, Chris Young a écrit :

> Perhaps this can't be done.
>
> Is there anyway to save the data within a compiled
> application?
> or am I going to HAVE to use some type of External
> database file?
> ( ie, simple text file, or database file or something
> )
>
> I'm trying to create a simple database application,
> Without the need for SQL or anything external.
>
> I would like to have a simple app that I can share
> with my coworkers
> without the need to also share a second file.
> So far I have not found a way to save info once the
> stack has been
> compiled.
>
> Any ideas?  or examples?

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Luis-24
I recall some talk a while ago of a native Rev Database. I had looked
into it but then no more was heard.
I think the guy was of two minds on releasing it.
I can't think of an appropriate search term ('database' just throws
up too many finds!) to get the info, maybe someone else here
remembers it?

I think there was something marine related, I'll keep on looking.

Cheers,

Luis.

On 20 May 2008, at 14:07, Chris Young wrote:

> Perhaps this can't be done.
>
> Is there anyway to save the data within a compiled
> application?
> or am I going to HAVE to use some type of External
> database file?
> ( ie, simple text file, or database file or something
> )
>
> I'm trying to create a simple database application,
> Without the need for SQL or anything external.
>
> I would like to have a simple app that I can share
> with my coworkers
> without the need to also share a second file.
> So far I have not found a way to save info once the
> stack has been
> compiled.
>
> Any ideas?  or examples?

Re: Simple Database without SQL

masmit
I think that's Rob Cozens' serendipity - I think he's still making it
available.

Best

Mark

On 20 May 2008, at 14:22, Luis wrote:

> I recall some talk a while ago of a native Rev Database. I had
> looked into it but then no more was heard.
> I think the guy was of two minds on releasing it.
> I can't think of an appropriate search term ('database' just throws
> up too many finds!) to get the info, maybe someone else here
> remembers it?
>
> I think there was something marine related, I'll keep on looking.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luis.
>

> On 20 May 2008, at 14:07, Chris Young wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this can't be done.
>>
>> Is there anyway to save the data within a compiled
>> application?
>> or am I going to HAVE to use some type of External
>> database file?
>> ( ie, simple text file, or database file or something
>> )
>>
>> I'm trying to create a simple database application,
>> Without the need for SQL or anything external.
>>
>> I would like to have a simple app that I can share
>> with my coworkers
>> without the need to also share a second file.
>> So far I have not found a way to save info once the
>> stack has been
>> compiled.
>>
>> Any ideas?  or examples?

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Luis-24
This is what I found with the additional info from Mark:

http://www.serendipity-software.com.au/products/
Alas, no DB.

http://www.marine-surveyor.com/
Ahoy! Cap'n Rob Cozen! Still no DB in sight.

I knew there was a nautical link!

Still looking...

Cheers,

Luis.

Chris Young wrote:
> I would like to have a simple app that I can share
> with my coworkers without the need to also share a
> second file.

That rules out a database, where in addition to at least one data file
(possibly multiple files, depending on the DB engine used) you'd also
need to make sure the externals files to drive the DB are included.

> So far I have not found a way to save info once the
> stack has been compiled.
>
> Any ideas?  or examples?

It's a long standing convention of both UNIX/Linux and Win OSes that
executables cannot write to themselves, and for consistency Rev enforces
this on the Mac as well.

So any writable data will mean at least a second file, and I know of now
way around that.

But fortunately Sarah Reichelt has made this easy with her article at
revJournal on saving data from standalones:

<http://www.revjournal.com/tutorials/saving_data_in_revolution.html>

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Chris Young-5
Thank you VERY much everyone.. Wow

I think I'm just going to go with a simple XML
external file
to hold the data I need..
it really is going to be just a simple single user
database
holding just simple name/address/phone number info.

I'm sure someone has already created a sample stack
doing just want I want.. but so far I haven't really
found any.

Thanks again for everyones help and research.
Sarah has a very nice XMLDemo tutorial on her website.
I'll try and use that as a base.

Unless anyone can suggest something easier or better
to use.
I'm always open to suggestions, and not being much of
a programmer
myself.. I seem to learn much better by example.

Thanks again!
Chris

JB

Re: Simple Database without SQL

JB
Have you tried 2020 Vision Keymaker by Mark Talluto?
You can download it here:

    www.canelasoftware.com/pub/rev/Key_Maker.rev.zip

I think it might be what you are looking for.

-=>JB<=-

On May 20, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Chris Young wrote:

> Thank you VERY much everyone.. Wow
>
> I think I'm just going to go with a simple XML
> external file
> to hold the data I need..
> it really is going to be just a simple single user
> database
> holding just simple name/address/phone number info.
>
> I'm sure someone has already created a sample stack
> doing just want I want.. but so far I haven't really
> found any.
>
> Thanks again for everyones help and research.
> Sarah has a very nice XMLDemo tutorial on her website.
> I'll try and use that as a base.
>
> Unless anyone can suggest something easier or better
> to use.
> I'm always open to suggestions, and not being much of
> a programmer
> myself.. I seem to learn much better by example.
>
> Thanks again!
> Chris
>
> --- Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Chris Young wrote:
>>> I would like to have a simple app that I can share
>>> with my coworkers without the need to also share a
>>> second file.
>>
>> That rules out a database, where in addition to at
>> least one data file
>> (possibly multiple files, depending on the DB engine
>> used) you'd also
>> need to make sure the externals files to drive the
>> DB are included.
>>
>>> So far I have not found a way to save info once
>> the
>>> stack has been compiled.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  or examples?
>>
>> It's a long standing convention of both UNIX/Linux
>> and Win OSes that
>> executables cannot write to themselves, and for
>> consistency Rev enforces
>> this on the Mac as well.
>>
>> So any writable data will mean at least a second
>> file, and I know of now
>> way around that.
>>
>> But fortunately Sarah Reichelt has made this easy
>> with her article at
>> revJournal on saving data from standalones:
>>

> <http://www.revjournal.com/tutorials/saving_data_in_revolution.html>
>>

>> --
>>   Richard Gaskin
>>   Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Simple Database without SQL

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Chris,

I put a very, very simple database stack on RevOnline, user name Mark.
This might give you some ideas.

Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Color Converter does what it says. Download it at http://economy-x-talk.com/cc.html

On 20 mei 2008, at 17:44, Chris Young wrote:

> Thank you VERY much everyone.. Wow
>
> I think I'm just going to go with a simple XML
> external file
> to hold the data I need..
> it really is going to be just a simple single user
> database
> holding just simple name/address/phone number info.
>
> I'm sure someone has already created a sample stack
> doing just want I want.. but so far I haven't really
> found any.
>
> Thanks again for everyones help and research.
> Sarah has a very nice XMLDemo tutorial on her website.
> I'll try and use that as a base.
>
> Unless anyone can suggest something easier or better
> to use.
> I'm always open to suggestions, and not being much of
> a programmer
> myself.. I seem to learn much better by example.
>
> Thanks again!
> Chris

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Ken Ray

> Unless anyone can suggest something easier or better
> to use.
> I'm always open to suggestions, and not being much of
> a programmer
> myself.. I seem to learn much better by example.

Well, not to toot my own horn, but an *alternative* to Rev's XML external
(another file) is my XML Library - it's pure Rev code, contained in a stack
that you can make a substack of your main application so it doesn't add
another file to deploy. If you're data needs are reasonably modest, you
might want to check it out:

http://www.sonsothunder.com/products/xmllib/xmllib.htm

There's a comparison on the site vs. the revXML.dll, if you want to look at
it, and the docs are really good and have a lot of (short) examples.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Chris Young wrote:
> I think I'm just going to go with a simple XML
> external file to hold the data I need..
> it really is going to be just a simple single user
> database holding just simple name/address/phone number info.

With a flat list like that you could just as well use a simple
tab-delimited format.  It would be much simpler to parse, and you could
even dump the contents into a field for a list view without modification.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Eric Chatonet
Le 20 mai 08 à 22:21, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Chris Young wrote:
>> I think I'm just going to go with a simple XML
>> external file to hold the data I need..
>> it really is going to be just a simple single user
>> database holding just simple name/address/phone number info.
>
> With a flat list like that you could just as well use a simple tab-
> delimited format.  It would be much simpler to parse, and you could
> even dump the contents into a field for a list view without
> modification.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

I agree so much.
Why making complicated what it can be simple...
In such a case (an agenda if I understood well) does not need more
than a tab/tab/return file.
Easier and quicker to set up.
And in addition, you can add 'columns' you need as IDs, open it in
Excel, etc.
The point, when you think as a professional is always: what's the
more reliable for my client and the easier for me :-)
I have used XML many times for building prefs files for instance: as
for the Rev Search Engine where it was preferable because many items
were lists.
But the simpler (if applicable), the better ;-)
My two cents.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.
JB

Re: Simple Database without SQL

JB
If I buy the Standard Edition am I allowed to use it on commercial
software products without paying any royalties etc.

thanks,
-=>JB<=-

On May 20, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

>> Unless anyone can suggest something easier or better
>> to use.
>> I'm always open to suggestions, and not being much of
>> a programmer
>> myself.. I seem to learn much better by example.
>
> Well, not to toot my own horn, but an *alternative* to Rev's XML
> external
> (another file) is my XML Library - it's pure Rev code, contained in
> a stack
> that you can make a substack of your main application so it doesn't
> add
> another file to deploy. If you're data needs are reasonably modest,
> you
> might want to check it out:
>
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/products/xmllib/xmllib.htm
>
> There's a comparison on the site vs. the revXML.dll, if you want to
> look at
> it, and the docs are really good and have a lot of (short) examples.
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
> Email: [hidden email]

Re: Simple Database without SQL

Ken Ray
> If I buy the Standard Edition am I allowed to use it on commercial
> software products without paying any royalties etc.

Yup! The price is per developer seat, for unlimited products and unlimited
deployment.