Size of screen diagonal?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I'm developing a desktop app for Mac & PC that displays photos of coins. I'd like to display them at real size but I can't find the properties for the current screen (i.e. the one that my app is running on.  I can get the screen colour depth, resolution, scaling factor, etc. but not the physical size on the screen such as "27 inch diagonal" or physical px per inch.

Can anyone tell me how to get this info, either using just LiveCode or via Mac/PC shell/command scripts?

Thanks

Pete
--
Peter Reid
Loughborough, UK

Re: Size of screen diagonal?

Peter Reid wrote:

 > I'm developing a desktop app for Mac & PC that displays photos of
 > coins. I'd like to display them at real size but I can't find the
 > properties for the current screen (i.e. the one that my app is running
 > on.  I can get the screen colour depth, resolution, scaling factor,
 > etc. but not the physical size on the screen such as "27 inch
 > diagonal" or physical px per inch.
 >
 > Can anyone tell me how to get this info, either using just LiveCode or
 > via Mac/PC shell/command scripts?

Given the wide and growing variety of screen ratios, diagonal screen
dimensions are less useful for this task.

I think pixelDensity of what you're looking for, but be forewarned:

I spent an afternoon some time ago measuring a variety of on-screen
elements across all the devices in my test pool, using a physical ruler
placed on the screen.

What I found is that LC seems to do as good a job as Android itself in
attempting to maintain consistent sizing among such a wide range of
physical display characteristics (dot pitch, etc.).  Not surprising,
since AFAIK LC uses the recommended OS APIs for its resolution independence.

But the downside is that I was able to measure differences in even the
most standard elements like the status bar.  Not much, just a millimeter
or two across some devices.

So if a fairly-close-but-not-perfect rendering will suffice, I think the
pixelDensity function will guide your metrics.

Re: Size of screen diagonal?

On Feb 28, 2018, at 7:51 AM, Peter Reid via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm developing a desktop app for Mac & PC that displays photos of coins. I'd like to display them at real size but I can't find the properties for the current screen (i.e. the one that my app is running on.  I can get the screen colour depth, resolution, scaling factor, etc. but not the physical size on the screen such as "27 inch diagonal" or physical px per inch.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get this info, either using just LiveCode or via Mac/PC shell/command scripts?

We make vision testing software. This requires very accurate representations of visuals on screen. For this we ask the user to enter in the diagonal screen size. Because this is a vertical app, that comes along with installation services, this is normally done by the installer. You will get accurate sizing using this method.

For the wider spectrum of users, we can get those values if you have control over the range of devices they are using. For one app, iOS only, we ask them to select the device they are using. We still use diagonal screen size as the metric for the math under the hood.

For truly horizontal markets, having them enter in the value may or may not be acceptable. If the tool requires the utmost in accuracy, then the user may be asked. For UI layout purposes, pixelDensity() may be enough to get you through.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>
canelasoftware.com <http://www.canelasoftware.com/>

Re: Size of screen diagonal?

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I'm not really sure how you would go about this.

For instance: I have a 2006 iMac that uses both its in-built monitor and
another second one.

System Info tells me that my in-built display is 20.1 inches, but
nothing about my other one
beyond the fact that it is a VGA display.

However, my Xubuntu machine does report the dimensions of the monitor
connected to it accurately (NEC Corporation 21").

Richmond.