Skia the 2D Graphics Library to render Livecode stacks

Skia the 2D Graphics Library to render Livecode stacks

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

After reading about Skia, the 2D Graphics Library used
in LiveCode 6.5 to render Livecode stacks, I keep
wondering if LiveCode developers will have access
to all the features provided by Skia. For example:

- 3x3 matrices w/ perspective
- antialiasing, transparency, filters
- shaders, xfermodes, maskfilters, patheffects
- subpixel text

Device backends for Skia currently include:

- Raster
- OpenGL
- PDF
- XPS
- Picture (for recording and then playing back into another Canvas)

All these are Skia's features listed from this page:
http://code.google.com/p/skia/

Tell me if I am understanding correctly the scope and new possibilities
offered by these new features:

Subpixel Text
Does this means that every visible element in a stack (including images and
vector graphics) will be smoothly rendered at any size and scale factor?

3x3 matrices w/ perspective
Does this means that we could render every visible element in a stack
at any size, rotated, slanted, inverted and in perspective?

OpenGL render device
Does this means that we could have an openGL windows inside
our stacks?

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: Skia the 2D Graphics Library to render Livecode stacks

Richard Gaskin
Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> After reading about Skia, the 2D Graphics Library used
> in LiveCode 6.5 to render Livecode stacks, I keep
> wondering if LiveCode developers will have access
> to all the features provided by Skia. For example:
>
> - 3x3 matrices w/ perspective
> - antialiasing, transparency, filters
> - shaders, xfermodes, maskfilters, patheffects
> - subpixel text
>
> Device backends for Skia currently include:
>
> - Raster
> - OpenGL
> - PDF
> - XPS
> - Picture (for recording and then playing back into another Canvas)
>
> All these are Skia's features listed from this page:
> http://code.google.com/p/skia/

Thanks for that info, Alejandro.  I'd previously overlooked that Skia is
playing a key role in LC going forward, but it's quite an exciting prospect.

One of the things that caught my eye there is the PDF support, as
requests for LC to be able to render PDFs natively come up frequently.

Has anyone here heard even hints from RunRev about possible future
support for PDF?

Any clue as to how difficult that may be for third parties to integrate?

  Fourth World
  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys

Re: Skia the 2D Graphics Library to render Livecode stacks

Alejandro Tejada
Richard Gaskin wrote
[snip]
One of the things that caught my eye there is the PDF support, as
requests for LC to be able to render PDFs natively come up frequently.

Has anyone here heard even hints from RunRev about possible future
support for PDF?

Any clue as to how difficult that may be for third parties to integrate?
After reading this page:
http://code.google.com/p/skia/wiki/PDFTheoryOfOperation

I think that Skia could write PDF natively, but not read them.
To display a PDF inside a stack, another library would be needed.

Google chrome uses Foxit Reader SDK:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/08/google-chromes-pdf-plugin-uses-foxit.html

Al