Slide Show on OS X

Dar Scott
I'm putting together a slide show that I want to have some smarts.  I'm
thinking of using a stack that can be run in Revolution or as a
standalone.

I'd like for this to run on OS X, but Windows will be a nice plus.

Any advice or pointers?  Can this even be done?

I'm concerned about that menu bar.

Dar

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Dar Scott

On Jun 11, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> I trust this will be for your SSL track! :D

What a good idea!  :D

And since the title has "SSL" in it, I should include something on
that, too.

> setting the stack to the screenrect and hiding the menubar (and
> taskbar in windows). there's a "hide menubar" that will hide that
> stuff.

hide menubar

That's what I could not remember.

> Remember to put something like a contextual menu or a keydown handler
> to quit the stack, once I got myself locked in a stack with no
> decorations, sized to the screensize and it stayed on top too.. irgh.

LOL!  I'm going to put in a couple methods!

Thanks!

Dar

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Howard Bornstein
On 6/11/05, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > setting the stack to the screenrect and hiding the menubar (and
> > taskbar in windows). there's a "hide menubar" that will hide that
> > stuff.
>
> hide menubar
>
> That's what I could not remember.

For these kinds of apps I put in a mousemove handler that checks to
see if the cursor is near the top of the screen, and if so, shows the
menubar again. That way you have access when you need it but it stays
hidden otherwise.

Howard Bornstein

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Ken Norris-3
Hi Dar,

> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:41:15 -0600
> From: Dar Scott <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Slide Show on OS X
>

> I'm putting together a slide show that I want to have some smarts.  I'm
> thinking of using a stack that can be run in Revolution or as a
> standalone.

I've always thought xTalk systems are perfect for slide shows. What
kind of smarts do you want it to have? Will it run on a projection
system?

> I'd like for this to run on OS X, but Windows will be a nice plus.
>
> Any advice or pointers?  Can this even be done?

I don't see why not.

> I'm concerned about that menu bar.

How about "hide menubar" In Mac OSX, it should hide the dock too.

I haven't experimented lately, but I was thinking that since the screen
is drawn from the topleft, you could increase resolution to the next
step, but limit the show monitor or projection system to a step lower.
This would hopefully give you some space on the bottom and right sides
of the control monitor for controls which will be offscreen on the show
system, maybe even a field (or other scrolling system) with thumbnail
selection, so you can scroll and find what you want to display.

All the best,
Ken N.

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Ken Ray
On 6/11/05 2:25 PM, "Dar Scott" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Remember to put something like a contextual menu or a keydown handler
>> to quit the stack, once I got myself locked in a stack with no
>> decorations, sized to the screensize and it stayed on top too.. irgh.
>
> LOL!  I'm going to put in a couple methods!

I'm using Rev also for presenting at RevCon... I've got it so that if you
command-click on the left or right side of the stack, it navigates to the
previous/next card with a visual effect:

on mouseUp
  if the commandKey is down then
    put (item 1 of the loc of this stack) into tMid
    set the effectRate to 750
    visual effect "cross fade"

    if (item 1 of globalLoc(the mouseLoc)) < tMid then
      if the number of this cd <> 1 then
        go prev
      end if
    else
      if the number of this cd <> (the number of cds) then
        go next

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Dar Scott

On Jun 12, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> I'm using Rev also for presenting at RevCon... I've got it so that if
> you
> command-click on the left or right side of the stack, it navigates to
> the
> previous/next card with a visual effect:

I'm trying to use function keys for slide control and they do weird
things like paste and clear stack properties.  Does the IDE use
function keys?

Dar

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Sarah Reichelt
> I'm trying to use function keys for slide control and they do weird
> things like paste and clear stack properties.  Does the IDE use
> function keys?

Yes, on a Mac by default the F1 to F4 keys are reserved for various
copy, paste, cut operations. I can never remember which is which, so
I never use them.

I have a slide show stack that I use as a script-controllable screen
saver. I use the mouseMove message to detect when to turn it off, but
found that this needs a delay otherwise it comes on & then
immediately off. If you would like a copy of my stack to start with,
just let me know off-list.

Sarah

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Dan Shafer
Worse yet, on Powerbooks, those keys don't do cut-copy-paste things
but rather control the display and sound. DUmb. APple used to know
how to do consistent interfaces. It was their big secret weapon. Now
it's just a big secret.

Or perhaps a weapon of mass delusion.

Dan, who is tired from organizing the conference and probably not
nearly as funny as he thinks.

On Jun 13, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> I'm trying to use function keys for slide control and they do
>> weird things like paste and clear stack properties.  Does the IDE
>> use function keys?
>>

> Yes, on a Mac by default the F1 to F4 keys are reserved for various
> copy, paste, cut operations. I can never remember which is which,
> so I never use them.
>
> I have a slide show stack that I use as a script-controllable
> screen saver. I use the mouseMove message to detect when to turn it
> off, but found that this needs a delay otherwise it comes on & then
> immediately off. If you would like a copy of my stack to start
> with, just let me know off-list.
>
> Sarah

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Don't forget Mark Talluto's handy mmGen, now and open source project at:

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Vokey, John
Not true, it is just that they (keys F1 through F7) require that the
fn key be simultaneously held down to be used as function keys.  And,
of course, under OS X they can be completely remapped to almost any
function you might want (see keyboard shortcuts under Keyboard and
Mouse in System preferences).

On 13-Jun-05, at 5:46 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Worse yet, on Powerbooks, those keys don't do cut-copy-paste things
> but rather control the display and sound. DUmb. APple used to know
> how to do consistent interfaces. It was their big secret weapon. Now
> it's just a big secret.

- JRV
--
There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those
who don't

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Dan Shafer
When we talk about how to use the keyboard in a dark room as a slide
show system and/or how to script these suckers, these alternate uses,
while correct in their detail, are not very useful to the poor user
trying to figure out how to make things work.

No reflection on you. I appreciate your making the point clearer. But
my point remains: Apple made an idiotic decision when it dedicated F
keys to system-level tasks in one release and then in the next
release essentially made the default behavior of those keys not only
different but completely unrelated.

On Jun 13, 2005, at 6:05 PM, John Vokey wrote:

> Not true, it is just that they (keys F1 through F7) require that
> the fn key be simultaneously held down to be used as function
> keys.  And, of course, under OS X they can be completely remapped
> to almost any function you might want (see keyboard shortcuts under
> Keyboard and Mouse in System preferences).
>
> On 13-Jun-05, at 5:46 PM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>

>> Worse yet, on Powerbooks, those keys don't do cut-copy-paste things
>> but rather control the display and sound. DUmb. APple used to know
>> how to do consistent interfaces. It was their big secret weapon. Now
>> it's just a big secret.
>>

> - JRV
> --
> There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and
> those who don't

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Mark Talluto

On Jun 13, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Don't forget Mark Talluto's handy mmGen, now and open source
> project at:

Thanks for mentioning that Richard.  I have been thinking that I
should change the license on that project so one can do *anything*
they want with the code.  Not sure if that will make up for my
serious inability to work on that project at the moment.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Richard Gaskin
Mark Talluto wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Don't forget Mark Talluto's handy mmGen, now and open source  project at:

> Thanks for mentioning that Richard.  I have been thinking that I  should
> change the license on that project so one can do *anything*  they want
> with the code.  Not sure if that will make up for my  serious inability
> to work on that project at the moment.

Hard to say.  Not-for-profit ventures like open source projects are
often strapped for labor.  I expect it'll remain that way until the
"gift economy" expands to include open source housing and open source
groceries. :)

But I did think it was worth mentioning here because there are always a
few folks looking to dig into something fun, and that project's scope is
contained enough to make it a good thing to contribute to occassionally.

And of course for the speakers going to RevCon it can be handy to use
for making their presentations. :)

And for newcomers who just want to poke around to see how a really
experienced developer puts together a functional product, this is one of
the few products that are open source and it's a treasure trove of good
learning material.

I don't know if making that open source has simplified your life or
complicated it (OS projects can go either way), but if the community
isn't yet really glad you made the move I think they will be as they
play with it more.  Thanks for putting that out there.

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: Slide Show on OS X

Ken Norris-3
Hi Dan,

> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:12:32 -0700
> From: Dan Shafer <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Slide Show on OS X
>
> When we talk about how to use the keyboard in a dark room as a slide
> show system and/or how to script these suckers, these alternate uses,
> while correct in their detail, are not very useful to the poor user
> trying to figure out how to make things work.

You do know several mfr's make handy little clip-on lamp gadgets for
solving that problem.

All the best,
Ken N.