Slide puzzle question

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi there,

I am making a 9 piece slide puzzle.
How many pieces should be in the right place at start to solve the puzzle?

greetings,

William

Re: Slide puzzle question

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I'm not sure whether there is an answer in terms of pieces in place/out of place. I know that there are (I think three) different "position-spaces" where each space is unreachable from the others.

The easy solution is to this problem is to start with the puzzle solved and quickly execute thirty or so moves at random, either visibly or with the screen locked.

gc

> On Mar 7, 2018, at 6:40 AM, William de Smet via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I am making a 9 piece slide puzzle.
> How many pieces should be in the right place at start to solve the puzzle?
>

> greetings,
>
> William

RE: Slide puzzle question

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I don't know about the 9 puzzle but I suspect it's like the 15 puzzle. The
15 puzzle and Rubics Cube have parity. If the 15 is out of parity it can
never be solved. The same for Rubics Cube, if you say switch 2 edge pieces
or rotate 1 corner piece it's not solvable.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

How many pieces should be in the right place at start to solve the puzzle?

greetings,

William

Re: Slide puzzle question

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I would love to give an out of parity Rubix Cube to one of those Rubix Cube savants and see how long it taked to figure out they cannot solve it! ;-P

Bob S