Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I would get a meaningful answer:

I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection - although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about, and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until it's all finished?

If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.

Thanks

Graham

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hi Graham,
This sounds quite futile for you on such an imperfect connection, and an
unfair situation created by Apple. I guess they expect all developers to
have fiber-to-the-home or live in glass corporate towers with <2 megabit
connections. Such code bloat surely could be reduced greatly by refactoring
by their wonderful code scientists, but I guess that's not efficient. I'll
bet that over 60% of that block is absolute bloat but that's the world
they've dealt us.

ADSL is an especially imperfect,  ancient tech using analog phone lines to
carry digital signals and very susceptible to interference and bad weather.
I struggled with it for years at my place in Sebastopol, even a connection
with two lines until I switched to a cable based system.
 It's all about the distance to the cabinet and then from there to the
central office. The local cabinet (which could be on a pole) could be
connected to a fiber optic line but if the POTS (plain old telephone
service) wires are old and stressed can be the culprit. And even the wires
from the cabinet to your house may not be a continuous run. There might be
branches of line that dead-ends that used to connect to someone else's
house.  A call to your telephone provider might make a big difference when
you tell them your problem - it may not be the internet provider's issue.

 Sometimes the telephone connection at your house itself could be the
reason why the speed varies so much. Moisture and humidity can contribute
to bad terminations - look for "green copper" at the screw terminals - a
sure sign of contamination and resistance. They are trying to send analog
signals at near radio frequencies and that's very critical.

Finally, telephone companies around the world are replacing old copper
lines with fiber optic lines all the way to the home. The price of copper
these days has made the old wire a resource and makes it possible for the
telephone providers to run fibre everywhere more economical and possible
due to the salvage of the previous copper wires - fiber lines are cheaper
per foot vs bandwidth and carry TV signals too. The bandwidth needed to be
a developer today isn't going to get any less and rural customers are going
to need this bandwidth as much as urban ones in the near future.

for now,
Is it possible for you to take a laptop to another town, perhaps a
cyber-cafe with a suitable connection? If the time it takes to download
longer than it takes to drive there, would that make sense?
Or perhaps a friend that is also a developer elsewhere in France that would
be kind enough to drop it on to a USB stick or drive you could send him?
Certainly there must be a fellow Live-coder in your country that could do
this?

Or am I being naive?

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 1:12 AM Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I
> find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance
> of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I
> would get a meaningful answer:
>
> I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection -
> although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files
> are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB
> file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the
> download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and
> has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the
> download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the
> download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a
> complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about,
> and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until
> it's all finished?
>
> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some
> hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graham

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I would suppose the "trick" is to get some else to download xCode 15 for
you; chop it up into a series of sensibly sized ZIP files, you can then
download each one individually, then knit them all together again on
your machine . . .

However: I've never heard of xCode 15, and as far as I'm aware the
latest recension of xCode is 12.2 beta 2 which requires
macOS 10.15.4 or later . . .

Over "here" in the "bloody Balkans" I am informed the download should
take about an hour: so I have started it going: and, after my Saturday
afternoon snooze I'll see what I can do re chopping it up into about 32
zip files and bunging them on my Google drive or something.

Indeed: asking Apple questions is a bit like what my late Father calimed
was his favourite activity: banging his head against the wall: why?
Because it's great when it stops.

Watch this space in about 90 minutes.  :)

Richmond.

On 3.10.20 11:11, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:

> This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I would get a meaningful answer:
>
> I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection - although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about, and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until it's all finished?
>
> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graham

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Cripes!

xCode 12.2. beta 2 takes up 10.5 GB of space . . . wonder what the bloat
is: Tim Cook's unwashed laundry?

On 3.10.20 11:11, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:

> This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I would get a meaningful answer:
>
> I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection - although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about, and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until it's all finished?
>
> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graham

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Sorry if I said Xcode 15 - just a typo, it’s actually 11.5. But the point remains the same. As I have said before, it seems that Apple are offering files as big as the Library of Babel for no logical reason. Stephen’s idea that they expect you to have a fibre connection is probably true, but odd considering that there are so many places in the world not yet offering high speed internet.

I didn’t bother to explain that in my tiny French village, the new state-sponsored optical fibre goes straight past my house, but sadly on the wrong side of the road! I have contracted with the necessary ISP, different from the one I’m using now, but after an abortive visit by a very nice technician who announced that she couldn’t solve the problem herself, they have outsourced the link from one side of the street to the other to an external contractor, with the result that the original August installation date has been pushed out to November! I have even tried to organise a bit of private work to get the cable across but the ISP will not play ball.

In practical terms, I will either hang over my Mac for a few more hours or take up the sensible suggestion of getting someone else with true broadband to do the download for me. The point of my email though was to ask if there is a way of downloading a huge file by any other method than simply swallowing the whole elephant in one go - looks like there isn’t.

Thanks all

Graham

> On 3 Oct 2020, at 13:17, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Cripes!
>
> xCode 12.2. beta 2 takes up 10.5 GB of space . . . wonder what the bloat is: Tim Cook's unwashed laundry?
>
> On 3.10.20 11:11, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:
>> This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I would get a meaningful answer:
>>
>> I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection - although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about, and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until it's all finished?
>>
>> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Graham

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Well, your "just a typo" meant I downloaded 12.2 beta 2. So, now you'll
just have to wait while I download 11.5.

Obviously you entirely missed the point of my previous message.

In about 1994 I downloaded a file that took up 3 MB on a computer in the
SIUC EFL computer lab, and, obviously, could
not fit it on a floppy disk to transfer to my LC 475 at home. So I used
Stuffit to compress it and chop it up into
several .sit files and then copy those onto about 5 floppy disks . . . I
learnt my lesson: so, just as soon as xCode 11.5 (don't you dare say
that was another typo) has downloaded I will try to chop it up (and it
is 7.5 GB) into about 30 zip files at 256 MB,
and work out how to make them accessible to you.

Richmond.

On 3.10.20 14:58, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.

One of these download managers may be helpful:

https://www.macheat.com/the-5-best-download-managers-for-mac/

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, your "just a typo" meant I downloaded 12.2 beta 2. So, now you'll just have to wait while I download 11.5.
>
> Obviously you entirely missed the point of my previous message.
>
> In about 1994 I downloaded a file that took up 3 MB on a computer in the SIUC EFL computer lab, and, obviously, could
> not fit it on a floppy disk to transfer to my LC 475 at home. So I used Stuffit to compress it and chop it up into
> several .sit files and then copy those onto about 5 floppy disks . . . I learnt my lesson: so, just as soon as xCode 11.5 (don't you dare say that was another typo) has downloaded I will try to chop it up (and it is 7.5 GB) into about 30 zip files at 256 MB,
> and work out how to make them accessible to you.
>
> Richmond.
>
>> On 3.10.20 14:58, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:
>> Sorry if I said Xcode 15 - just a typo, it’s actually 11.5. But the point remains the same. As I have said before, it seems that Apple are offering files as big as the Library of Babel for no logical reason. Stephen’s idea that they expect you to have a fibre connection is probably true, but odd considering that there are so many places in the world not yet offering high speed internet.
>>
>> I didn’t bother to explain that in my tiny French village, the new state-sponsored optical fibre goes straight past my house, but sadly on the wrong side of the road! I have contracted with the necessary ISP, different from the one I’m using now, but after an abortive visit by a very nice technician who announced that she couldn’t solve the problem herself, they have outsourced the link from one side of the street to the other to an external contractor, with the result that the original August installation date has been pushed out to November! I have even tried to organise a bit of private work to get the cable across but the ISP will not play ball.
>>
>> In practical terms, I will either hang over my Mac for a few more hours or take up the sensible suggestion of getting someone else with true broadband to do the download for me. The point of my email though was to ask if there is a way of downloading a huge file by any other method than simply swallowing the whole elephant in one go - looks like there isn’t.
>>
>> Thanks all
>>
>> Graham

>>> Cripes!
>>>
>>> xCode 12.2. beta 2 takes up 10.5 GB of space . . . wonder what the bloat is: Tim Cook's unwashed laundry?

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Ugly stuff going on:

richmond@Richmonds-Mac-mini ~ % xip -x /Volumes/X3/xc\ 115/Xcode_11.5.xip
xip: signing certificate was "Development Update" (validation not attempted)

On 3.10.20 16:34, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:

> One of these download managers may be helpful:
>
> https://www.macheat.com/the-5-best-download-managers-for-mac/
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, your "just a typo" meant I downloaded 12.2 beta 2. So, now you'll just have to wait while I download 11.5.
>>
>> Obviously you entirely missed the point of my previous message.
>>
>> In about 1994 I downloaded a file that took up 3 MB on a computer in the SIUC EFL computer lab, and, obviously, could
>> not fit it on a floppy disk to transfer to my LC 475 at home. So I used Stuffit to compress it and chop it up into
>> several .sit files and then copy those onto about 5 floppy disks . . . I learnt my lesson: so, just as soon as xCode 11.5 (don't you dare say that was another typo) has downloaded I will try to chop it up (and it is 7.5 GB) into about 30 zip files at 256 MB,
>> and work out how to make them accessible to you.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>>> On 3.10.20 14:58, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Sorry if I said Xcode 15 - just a typo, it’s actually 11.5. But the point remains the same. As I have said before, it seems that Apple are offering files as big as the Library of Babel for no logical reason. Stephen’s idea that they expect you to have a fibre connection is probably true, but odd considering that there are so many places in the world not yet offering high speed internet.
>>>
>>> I didn’t bother to explain that in my tiny French village, the new state-sponsored optical fibre goes straight past my house, but sadly on the wrong side of the road! I have contracted with the necessary ISP, different from the one I’m using now, but after an abortive visit by a very nice technician who announced that she couldn’t solve the problem herself, they have outsourced the link from one side of the street to the other to an external contractor, with the result that the original August installation date has been pushed out to November! I have even tried to organise a bit of private work to get the cable across but the ISP will not play ball.
>>>
>>> In practical terms, I will either hang over my Mac for a few more hours or take up the sensible suggestion of getting someone else with true broadband to do the download for me. The point of my email though was to ask if there is a way of downloading a huge file by any other method than simply swallowing the whole elephant in one go - looks like there isn’t.
>>>
>>> Thanks all
>>>
>>> Graham

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Can you send me your download linbk as the .xip file is NBG; and I need
a .dmg or a .pkg to work with?

On 3.10.20 14:58, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:

<snip>

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I wonder:

https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/

On 10/3/20 8:09 AM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
> I wonder:
>
> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/

Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of anything that does
install.sh | bash
without checking the source first

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
OK, OK, OK: now zipping Xcode 11.5 into however many 650 MB chunks . . .

> [...]

>>> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.

This would be a saver alternative
https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/ <https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/>

It uses Aria2
https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2 <https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2>
and a ruby script
https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c <https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c>

Regards,

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Software & Support
Externer Datenschutz
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>

> Am 03.10.2020 um 17:39 schrieb Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 10/3/20 8:09 AM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
>> I wonder:
>> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/ <https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/>
>
> Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of anything that does
> install.sh | bash
> without checking the source first
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Lest anyone think this is a rural issue.

I live in a major metropolitan city in the US. (Seattle, Wa) And am still on DSL and can’t get cable or fiber to my house without paying to have poles placed and or conduit run underground... very expensive. Our DSL is over copper lines from 1936 whose insulation (lead) has been riddled with holes.

When it rains, we have no internet and usually no phone. To get Apple updates, I either lose a day or go someplace with a reliable hispeed connecton.

Sent from Jim's iPhone XR
Please excuse brevity, typos and errors

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:26 AM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This would be a saver alternative
> https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/ <https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/>
>
> It uses Aria2
> https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2 <https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2>
> and a ruby script
> https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c <https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c>
>

> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>
> Matthias Rebbe
> Software & Support
> Externer Datenschutz
> Bramkampsieke 13
> 32312 Lübbecke
> Tel    +49 5741 310000
>        +49 160 5504462
> Fax: +49 5741 310002
> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>
>
>> Am 03.10.2020 um 17:39 schrieb Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>>> On 10/3/20 8:09 AM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
>>> I wonder:
>>> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/ <https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/>
>>
>> Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of anything that does
>> install.sh | bash
>> without checking the source first
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

> -
> Matthias Rebbe
> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hey everyone. Chopping up a gigantic file into little bits to be zipped
then uploaded is nuts. Chopped nuts!

 The A in ADSL means ASYMETRICAL - which means uneven- upload speed and is
a fraction of the download speed.
  It would take a long time with most POTS internets to upload gigabyte
files.

What I do with files that are too big to upload is to put it on an
inexpensive SDHC chip and send it in  regular mail.

I do this all the time with video files.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 08:40 Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/3/20 8:09 AM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
>
> > I wonder:
>

> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/
>

> Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of anything that does
>
> install.sh | bash
>
> without checking the source first
>

> --
>
>   Mark Wieder
>
>   [hidden email]

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hi Jim,
5g via a home modem is supposed to save those of us without telephone poles
or conduits to the home.
some day.
sqb
--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:36 AM Jim At Consensus via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lest anyone think this is a rural issue.
>
> I live in a major metropolitan city in the US. (Seattle, Wa) And am still
> on DSL and can’t get cable or fiber to my house without paying to have
> poles placed and or conduit run underground... very expensive. Our DSL is
> over copper lines from 1936 whose insulation (lead) has been riddled with
> holes.
>
> When it rains, we have no internet and usually no phone. To get Apple
> updates, I either lose a day or go someplace with a reliable hispeed
> connecton.
>
> Sent from Jim's iPhone XR
> Please excuse brevity, typos and errors
>
> > On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:26 AM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > This would be a saver alternative
> > https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/ <
> https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/>
> >
> > It uses Aria2
> > https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2 <
> https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2>
> > and a ruby script
> > https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c <
> https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c>
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Matthias
> >
> > Matthias Rebbe
> > Software & Support
> > Externer Datenschutz
> > Bramkampsieke 13
> > 32312 Lübbecke
> > Tel    +49 5741 310000
> >        +49 160 5504462
> > Fax: +49 5741 310002
> > eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >
> > BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>

> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/
> <
> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/>
>

> >> Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of anything that does
> >> install.sh | bash
> >> without checking the source first
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark Wieder
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> > -
> > Matthias Rebbe
> > Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
The answer, paradoxically, is to move to  a silly little village
half-an-hour away from a city in Bulgaria,
as I have unlimited fibre-optic internet for $5 a month.

According to Ookla my download speed is about 61 Mbps, and my upload
speed is 48 Mbps.

I really don't know what those numbers mean; but it does mean that Xcode
11 took 45 minutes, whether
that is fast or slow, I do remember the dial-up modem in Carbondale,
Illinois in 1993 taking 11 hours to download
1.1 MB . . .

On 3.10.20 19:34, Jim At Consensus via use-livecode wrote:

> Lest anyone think this is a rural issue.
>
> I live in a major metropolitan city in the US. (Seattle, Wa) And am still on DSL and can’t get cable or fiber to my house without paying to have poles placed and or conduit run underground... very expensive. Our DSL is over copper lines from 1936 whose insulation (lead) has been riddled with holes.
>
> When it rains, we have no internet and usually no phone. To get Apple updates, I either lose a day or go someplace with a reliable hispeed connecton.
>
> Sent from Jim's iPhone XR
> Please excuse brevity, typos and errors
>
>> On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:26 AM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This would be a saver alternative
>> https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/ <https://blog.kulman.sk/faster-way-to-download-and-install-xcode/>
>>
>> It uses Aria2
>> https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2 <https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/aria2>
>> and a ruby script
>> https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c <https://gist.github.com/iandundas/fabe07455e5216442a421922361f698c>
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> Matthias Rebbe
>> Software & Support
>> Externer Datenschutz
>> Bramkampsieke 13
>> 32312 Lübbecke
>> Tel    +49 5741 310000
>>         +49 160 5504462
>> Fax: +49 5741 310002
>> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <https://www.matthiasrebbe.eu/software/brx/>

>>> Looks interesting, but I'd be wary of anything that does
>>> install.sh | bash
>>> without checking the source first
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Wieder

>> -
>> Matthias Rebbe
>> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hi Graham,

How about using a download manager that does the chopping/zipping and
unchopping for you so you can be sure that when you restart all the bits
are ther.

There are a coupler of free ones and some paid for

http://www.flashget.com/en/download.html
http://www.eagleget.com/download-eagleget-portable/
https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

the one i use is https://secure.internetdownloadmanager.com/buy_idm.html
and cost 9 pounds a year

Hope that helps

Lagi

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 at 09:12, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I
> find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance
> of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I
> would get a meaningful answer:
>
> I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection -
> although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files
> are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB
> file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the
> download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and
> has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the
> download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the
> download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a
> complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about,
> and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until
> it's all finished?
>
> If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some
> hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graham

KIndest Regards Lagi

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
On 10/3/20 8:09 AM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
> I wonder:
>
> https://developerinsider.co/download-xcode-and-other-developer-tools-up-to-16-times-faster/

But thanks for the link. That's a very interesting website.

Re: Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Well . . . eventually after a lot of fooling around I chopped Xcode 11.5
up into 15 * 650 MB chunks: but, frankly, that
will not solve your problem.

Later postings in this thread made a lot more sense.

Best, Richmond.