Sneaky email messages

" When Livecode executes the *revMail* command, the user's email program
is opened (*if necessary*) and a new email message with the specified
parameters is created.
The user can change any of the settings before sending the message, and
the message is *not sent automatically*: the user must explicitly send
it (for example,
by clicking a "Mail" button in the email program)."

My colourisation.

Is there a way to:

1. prevent the end-user's email client opening?

2. send an email message automatically?

OK: let me be direct and open about this:

I want standalones sitting on machines of clients of mine to send me
their MAC addresses and the type of operating system they are using.

3. Would I be an "underhand so-and-so" if I did this?

I am aware that many items of software "phone home".

Re: Sneaky email messages

Hi Richmond,

I think it would be underhanded to use their email system to do that without warning them, but much less offensive to send reports via posting to a server, as long as you let them know your software will do that from time-to-time.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> " When Livecode executes the *revMail* command, the user's email program is opened (*if necessary*) and a new email message with the specified parameters is created.
> The user can change any of the settings before sending the message, and the message is *not sent automatically*: the user must explicitly send it (for example,
> by clicking a "Mail" button in the email program)."
>
> My colourisation.
>
> Is there a way to:
>
> 1. prevent the end-user's email client opening?
>
> 2. send an email message automatically?
>
> OK: let me be direct and open about this:
>
> I want standalones sitting on machines of clients of mine to send me their MAC addresses and the type of operating system they are using.
>
> 3. Would I be an "underhand so-and-so" if I did this?
>
> I am aware that many items of software "phone home".
>
> Richmond.

Re: Sneaky email messages

"via posting to a server" . . .

Pray tell . . .

Richmond.

On 7/29/17 6:19 pm, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> I think it would be underhanded to use their email system to do that without warning them, but much less offensive to send reports via posting to a server, as long as you let them know your software will do that from time-to-time.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> " When Livecode executes the *revMail* command, the user's email program is opened (*if necessary*) and a new email message with the specified parameters is created.
>> The user can change any of the settings before sending the message, and the message is *not sent automatically*: the user must explicitly send it (for example,
>> by clicking a "Mail" button in the email program)."
>>
>> My colourisation.
>>
>> Is there a way to:
>>
>> 1. prevent the end-user's email client opening?
>>
>> 2. send an email message automatically?
>>
>> OK: let me be direct and open about this:
>>
>> I want standalones sitting on machines of clients of mine to send me their MAC addresses and the type of operating system they are using.
>>
>> 3. Would I be an "underhand so-and-so" if I did this?
>>
>> I am aware that many items of software "phone home".
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Sneaky email messages

I just mean using the post command, or something similar, to send a request with information to a server that you set up.

That is way more work than email, but does not hijack their email system.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 11:43 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "via posting to a server" . . .
>
> Pray tell . . .
>
> Richmond.
>
>> On 7/29/17 6:19 pm, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi Richmond,
>>
>> I think it would be underhanded to use their email system to do that without warning them, but much less offensive to send reports via posting to a server, as long as you let them know your software will do that from time-to-time.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> " When Livecode executes the *revMail* command, the user's email program is opened (*if necessary*) and a new email message with the specified parameters is created.
>>> The user can change any of the settings before sending the message, and the message is *not sent automatically*: the user must explicitly send it (for example,
>>> by clicking a "Mail" button in the email program)."
>>>
>>> My colourisation.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to:
>>>
>>> 1. prevent the end-user's email client opening?
>>>
>>> 2. send an email message automatically?
>>>
>>> OK: let me be direct and open about this:
>>>
>>> I want standalones sitting on machines of clients of mine to send me their MAC addresses and the type of operating system they are using.
>>>
>>> 3. Would I be an "underhand so-and-so" if I did this?
>>>
>>> I am aware that many items of software "phone home".
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Sneaky email messages

Richmond,
You can post to a server script that will send email. This is very useful if your students use different machines in a classroom and you want to notify the instructor, but can't rely on the local machine's email settings. It ought to be able to be done using whatever hosting account you have.

Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "via posting to a server" . . .
>
> Pray tell . . .
>
> Richmond.
>
>> On 7/29/17 6:19 pm, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi Richmond,
>>
>> I think it would be underhanded to use their email system to do that without warning them, but much less offensive to send reports via posting to a server, as long as you let them know your software will do that from time-to-time.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> " When Livecode executes the *revMail* command, the user's email program is opened (*if necessary*) and a new email message with the specified parameters is created.
>>> The user can change any of the settings before sending the message, and the message is *not sent automatically*: the user must explicitly send it (for example,
>>> by clicking a "Mail" button in the email program)."
>>>
>>> My colourisation.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to:
>>>
>>> 1. prevent the end-user's email client opening?
>>>
>>> 2. send an email message automatically?
>>>
>>> OK: let me be direct and open about this:
>>>
>>> I want standalones sitting on machines of clients of mine to send me their MAC addresses and the type of operating system they are using.
>>>
>>> 3. Would I be an "underhand so-and-so" if I did this?
>>>
>>> I am aware that many items of software "phone home".
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Sneaky email messages

You would probably be flagged as malware and the user alerted in any event. Collecting ANY information and sending it down the wire can be construed by end users as spyware.

Bob S

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 07:58 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> " When Livecode executes the *revMail* command, the user's email program is opened (*if necessary*) and a new email message with the specified parameters is created.
> The user can change any of the settings before sending the message, and the message is *not sent automatically*: the user must explicitly send it (for example,
> by clicking a "Mail" button in the email program)."
>
> My colourisation.
>
> Is there a way to:
>
> 1. prevent the end-user's email client opening?
>
> 2. send an email message automatically?
>
> OK: let me be direct and open about this:
>
> I want standalones sitting on machines of clients of mine to send me their MAC addresses and the type of operating system they are using.
>
> 3. Would I be an "underhand so-and-so" if I did this?
>
> I am aware that many items of software "phone home".
>
> Richmond.

Re: Sneaky email messages

I would hope that users get some kind if privacy notification that they must agree to. For example, if students are taking an online course, it will be useless unless they agree to having their scores or grades for their work  sent in.

Best,
Bill P

William Prothero
http://ed.earthednet.org