Soft hyphens in LC

Devin Asay
I think I know the answer to this (“No."), but thought I’d ask. Is there any way to implement soft hyphens in a LiveCode field? What about zero-width spaces? I’m working on a project in LC 6.7, but will probably be moving it to 7.0 soon. I haven’t been able to get it to work in 6.7.

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Soft hyphens in LC

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 12/06/15 18:50, Devin Asay wrote:

> I think I know the answer to this (“No."), but thought I’d ask. Is there any way to implement soft hyphens in a LiveCode field? What about zero-width spaces? I’m working on a project in LC 6.7, but will probably be moving it to 7.0 soon. I haven’t been able to get it to work in 6.7.
>
> Devin
>

> Devin Asay
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Sorry for my stupidity: but what is a 'soft hyphen', and, by extension,
what is a 'hard hyphen'?

Re: Soft hyphens in LC

Devin Asay

On Jun 12, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/06/15 18:50, Devin Asay wrote:
>> I think I know the answer to this (“No."), but thought I’d ask. Is there any way to implement soft hyphens in a LiveCode field? What about zero-width spaces? I’m working on a project in LC 6.7, but will probably be moving it to 7.0 soon. I haven’t been able to get it to work in 6.7.
>

> Sorry for my stupidity: but what is a 'soft hyphen', and, by extension, what is a 'hard hyphen’?

Oh, sorry, a soft hyphen is a hyphen that is shown optionally. If a word with a soft hyphen embedded in it occurs close to the end of a line of text, the word may be broken at the soft hyphen and a hyphen will be shown. Anywhere else in the line of text, the word will be displayed normally, with no break or hyphen. The html entity for a soft hyphen is &shy; or &#173;. I have tested this in LC, and the engine’s HTML rendering just ignores it.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_hyphen

A hard hyphen would be one that is typed by the person entering the text, and would be followed by a hard return—a return or cr constant in LiveCode parlance.

On 12/06/15 19:45, Devin Asay wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/06/15 18:50, Devin Asay wrote:
>>> I think I know the answer to this (“No."), but thought I’d ask. Is there any way to implement soft hyphens in a LiveCode field? What about zero-width spaces? I’m working on a project in LC 6.7, but will probably be moving it to 7.0 soon. I haven’t been able to get it to work in 6.7.
>> Sorry for my stupidity: but what is a 'soft hyphen', and, by extension, what is a 'hard hyphen’?
> Oh, sorry, a soft hyphen is a hyphen that is shown optionally. If a word with a soft hyphen embedded in it occurs close to the end of a line of text, the word may be broken at the soft hyphen and a hyphen will be shown. Anywhere else in the line of text, the word will be displayed normally, with no break or hyphen. The html entity for a soft hyphen is &shy; or &#173;. I have tested this in LC, and the engine’s HTML rendering just ignores it.
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_hyphen

This is very interesting indeed.

How does one embed a soft hyphen in a word to start with?

Richmond.

> A hard hyphen would be one that is typed by the person entering the text, and would be followed by a hard return—a return or cr constant in LiveCode parlance.
>
> Devin
>
> Devin Asay
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Re: Soft hyphens in LC

Walt Brown
I can tell you the HTML soft hyphen appears as a visible hyphen in both the
text and the htmlText of a field in LC 7.0.3, ie does not wrap. I used the
sample text that contains soft hyphens from the Wiki entry on "Soft hyphen".

"Margaret­Are­You­Grieving..."

Walt