Software Order Processing Service?

ScottR
Hey List Members:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive service that provides
automated processing of software orders -- once an order is completed and
approved, a reg code is sent to the user's email address.

I don't have high volume, but the "manual labor" process I've been using for
years is getting tiresome and I figure by now there must be an affordable
better way.  Years ago when I was searching for options, I saw a few
services that worked with fees based on percentage of software cost.  This
seemed odd to me because whether the software cost 1 dollar or 1000 dollars,
there's no difference in the service provided: approve the transaction, send
a reg code.  I guess I could understand the fee if the service provider
acted as the bank as well, but I assumed transactions were handled by a
separate credit processing company (maybe not).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

xtalkprogrammer
Scott,

I made one with PayPal. It has advantages and disadvantages, but of all services I looked into it is the one with the fewest disadvantages (I write it this way on purpose). I will be making two more during the next week, also with PayPal.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

New: Download the Installer Maker Plugin 1.5 for LiveCode here http://qurl.tk/ce

On 8 jan 2011, at 23:23, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Hey List Members:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive service that provides
> automated processing of software orders -- once an order is completed and
> approved, a reg code is sent to the user's email address.
>
> I don't have high volume, but the "manual labor" process I've been using for
> years is getting tiresome and I figure by now there must be an affordable
> better way.  Years ago when I was searching for options, I saw a few
> services that worked with fees based on percentage of software cost.  This
> seemed odd to me because whether the software cost 1 dollar or 1000 dollars,
> there's no difference in the service provided: approve the transaction, send
> a reg code.  I guess I could understand the fee if the service provider
> acted as the bank as well, but I assumed transactions were handled by a
> separate credit processing company (maybe not).
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Peter Haworth-2
I've seen this implemented with PayPal.  I believe you can send people to a web page of your choice after a transaction is completed and that web page gets information about the transaction sent to it.  You'd have to write some sort of code to take that info and email a registration code to the purchaser.  I guess the plus side is that there is no extra fee other than Paypal's usual transaction fee.

Pete Haworth

On Jan 8, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Hey List Members:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive service that provides
> automated processing of software orders -- once an order is completed and
> approved, a reg code is sent to the user's email address.
>
> I don't have high volume, but the "manual labor" process I've been using for
> years is getting tiresome and I figure by now there must be an affordable
> better way.  Years ago when I was searching for options, I saw a few
> services that worked with fees based on percentage of software cost.  This
> seemed odd to me because whether the software cost 1 dollar or 1000 dollars,
> there's no difference in the service provided: approve the transaction, send
> a reg code.  I guess I could understand the fee if the service provider
> acted as the bank as well, but I assumed transactions were handled by a
> separate credit processing company (maybe not).
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Marty Knapp
Hi Scott,

I just signed up with FastSpring.com. So far, so good. You can provide
them with a list of registration codes that then get sent to the
customer upon successful payment. Their control panel/setup is pretty
straight forward. They do charge an 8.9% processing fee. In my search, I
didn't find anyone who didn't go by a percentage. FastSpring can also
customize the checkout page so that it matches the rest of your site
very nicely (you have to ask for this). You get paid either once or
twice a month - your choice.

PayPal works pretty good if you don't need to deal with registration codes.

I would also be interested in what others are using. Especially as
regards disseminating registration codes.

HTH,
Marty Knapp

> Hey List Members:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive service that provides
> automated processing of software orders -- once an order is completed and
> approved, a reg code is sent to the user's email address.
>
> I don't have high volume, but the "manual labor" process I've been using for
> years is getting tiresome and I figure by now there must be an affordable
> better way.  Years ago when I was searching for options, I saw a few
> services that worked with fees based on percentage of software cost.  This
> seemed odd to me because whether the software cost 1 dollar or 1000 dollars,
> there's no difference in the service provided: approve the transaction, send
> a reg code.  I guess I could understand the fee if the service provider
> acted as the bank as well, but I assumed transactions were handled by a
> separate credit processing company (maybe not).
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Marty,

Such systems with fixed registration codes are very sensitive to hacking. My registration systems are based on a name entered by the buyer or linked to the PayPal account. That makes illegal distribution of the registration code slightly less probable. I think that 8.9% is very expensive, although for very cheap products it might be a good thing, if there isn't also a minimum fee. Customisation sounds good, that might be a reason for me to still look into this.

Actually, PayPal has an easy-to-implement, very effective and inexpensive system to deal with registration codes (and any other item you might want to sell on-line). I just don't like their policies (e.g. PayPal makes it impossible for software company to proof that a license has been delivered in case if a dispute).

I tend to say: I'll open an open-source website for this, but since the OAuth initiative didn't bring anything, I believe I won't try this again.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

P.S. To anyone who wrote me an e-mail recently: please be patient, I will get back to you.

KvK: 50277553

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

ScottR
Thanks Mark/Peter/Marty for the responses.

I guess I should have been more clear about handling reg codes -- I'd like
this to be part of the order processing.  I currently have a PayPal account
and handle all my software purchase transactions through them, which works
fine.  But I'm sending out reg codes manually, and in this era of immediate
gratification, within the same day is often not fast enough.  I'd like to
find a service that handles the reg codes automatically once the financial
transaction is completed.

Thanks for any additional suggestions.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Recently, Peter Haworth wrote:

> I've seen this implemented with PayPal.  I believe you can send people to a
> web page of your choice after a transaction is completed and that web page
> gets information about the transaction sent to it.  You'd have to write some
> sort of code to take that info and email a registration code to the purchaser.
> I guess the plus side is that there is no extra fee other than Paypal's usual
> transaction fee.

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

xtalkprogrammer
Scott,

Yes, I did what you want. PayPal has a PHP library for it (which is easier to use than Facebook ;-) )

--

On 9 jan 2011, at 00:30, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Thanks Mark/Peter/Marty for the responses.
>
> I guess I should have been more clear about handling reg codes -- I'd like
> this to be part of the order processing.  I currently have a PayPal account
> and handle all my software purchase transactions through them, which works
> fine.  But I'm sending out reg codes manually, and in this era of immediate
> gratification, within the same day is often not fast enough.  I'd like to
> find a service that handles the reg codes automatically once the financial
> transaction is completed.
>
> Thanks for any additional suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

J. Landman Gay
On 1/8/11 5:30 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
> Thanks Mark/Peter/Marty for the responses.
>
> I guess I should have been more clear about handling reg codes -- I'd like
> this to be part of the order processing.  I currently have a PayPal account
> and handle all my software purchase transactions through them, which works
> fine.  But I'm sending out reg codes manually, and in this era of immediate
> gratification, within the same day is often not fast enough.  I'd like to
> find a service that handles the reg codes automatically once the financial
> transaction is completed.

Kagi does all that. I don't know what their current rate fees are though.

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

mwieder
Jacque-

> Kagi does all that. I don't know what their current rate fees are though.

About the same.

http://www.kagi.com/kagisolutions/pricing.php

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Marty Knapp
FastSpring does what you're asking - they automatically issue the
registration codes. They can deal with a list of your codes that you
supply in bulk, or they offer a system that also generates the code,
though I don't know that there is a way to implement dealing with that
in LiveCode.

When a sale is completed, you also get, along with the customer info,
the code that was issued so you have a record of it.

I believe the Kagi system is similar in this regard and their fees are
the same, if I'm not mistaken.

I wasn't aware that PayPal offered anything for issued registration
codes (thanks Mark for that info). Their rates are certainly less. I
will look into this. How many of you have used this? Have you found it
to be reliable? Fairly easy to implement?

Marty

> Thanks Mark/Peter/Marty for the responses.
>
> I guess I should have been more clear about handling reg codes -- I'd like
> this to be part of the order processing.  I currently have a PayPal account
> and handle all my software purchase transactions through them, which works
> fine.  But I'm sending out reg codes manually, and in this era of immediate
> gratification, within the same day is often not fast enough.  I'd like to
> find a service that handles the reg codes automatically once the financial
> transaction is completed.
>
> Thanks for any additional suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

xtalkprogrammer
Marty,

PayPal provides a library, into which you can hook your own registration system. You still have to make the actual script PHP to generate a license, but you can use the transaction information that's provided in real time by PayPal to create that license.

KvK: 50277553

Recently, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> PayPal provides a library, into which you can hook your own registration
> system. You still have to make the actual script PHP to generate a license,
> but you can use the transaction information that's provided in real time by
> PayPal to create that license.

I wonder if one could do this with on-rev instead of PHP...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

xtalkprogrammer
Scott,

You could, but naturally you'd have to translate the entire PHP library as provided by PayPal to on-rev.

--

On 9 jan 2011, at 01:17, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>
>> PayPal provides a library, into which you can hook your own registration
>> system. You still have to make the actual script PHP to generate a license,
>> but you can use the transaction information that's provided in real time by
>> PayPal to create that license.
>
> I wonder if one could do this with on-rev instead of PHP...
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

kee nethery
One of the things Kagi can do is run your registration code algorithm on our servers using a livecode stack.

We can provide you with a template livecode stack that has fields for all the order data that we can submit to your algorithm. You transfer your algorithm into our template stack and have it populate a regcode field and optionally a second field. We pass that data back to the customer.

Kee Nethery

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Bill Vlahos
I use Kagi. They were very helpful with the entire process.

Bill Vlahos

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 8, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey List Members:
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive service that provides
> automated processing of software orders -- once an order is completed and
> approved, a reg code is sent to the user's email address.
>
> I don't have high volume, but the "manual labor" process I've been using for
> years is getting tiresome and I figure by now there must be an affordable
> better way.  Years ago when I was searching for options, I saw a few
> services that worked with fees based on percentage of software cost.  This
> seemed odd to me because whether the software cost 1 dollar or 1000 dollars,
> there's no difference in the service provided: approve the transaction, send
> a reg code.  I guess I could understand the fee if the service provider
> acted as the bank as well, but I assumed transactions were handled by a
> separate credit processing company (maybe not).
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance for any recommendations.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Robert Brenstein
On 08.01.11 at 17:26 -0800 Bill Vlahos apparently wrote:
>I use Kagi. They were very helpful with the entire process.
>
>Bill Vlahos

I used Kagi on a couple ocassions. Their tech support crew is quite
good and helpful. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about
accounting people.

Robert

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Robert Mann
Hi for info I set up with not too much trouble, a payment and registration system on my on-rev account using
1) PayPal as payment platform
2) http://www.hyperactivesw.com/solutions_zygodact.html as the registration code generator CGI script.

You do not need to re-write any php script, the process is quite well documented on PayPal.

I only tested that with the Paypal Sandbox, and not yet in real life.

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

sims

On Jan 9, 2011, at 12:30 AM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Thanks Mark/Peter/Marty for the responses.
>
> I guess I should have been more clear about handling reg codes -- I'd like
> this to be part of the order processing.  I currently have a PayPal account
> and handle all my software purchase transactions through them, which works
> fine.  But I'm sending out reg codes manually, and in this era of immediate
> gratification, within the same day is often not fast enough.  I'd like to
> find a service that handles the reg codes automatically once the financial
> transaction is completed.
>
> Thanks for any additional suggestions.

Kagi.com

sims

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

scott@elementarysoftware.com
Hello Scott,

As Robert Mann noted, you can do this with on-rev and PayPal's ipn (Instant  Payment Notification) mechanism.  If you decide to use this route, the script below gives the basics of how I scripted a beginning.

<?rev
#--To verify the message, we must send back the contents in the exact order they were received
#--and precede it with the command _notify-validate, as follows:
#--https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_notify-validate&mc_gross=19.95&protection_eligibility=Eligible&address_status=confirmed&...&shipping=0.00
#-- PayPal will then send one single-word message:
#--  either   VERIFIED     or     INVALID
#-- https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
#-- OR
#-- https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr

#-- get exactly what was sent
put $_POST_RAW into tPostRaw
put "?cmd=_notify-validate&" before tPostRaw
#-- Check if transaction is valid with PayPal (reply back to PayPal)
#-- Discover whether we are playing in the sandbox or are live
if  $_POST["payer_email"] contains "paypalsandbox.com" then
    get URL ("https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" & tPostRaw)
else
    get URL ("https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" & tPostRaw)
end if
#-- record PayPal's response (for validation)
put it into tPayPalReply

#--parse out the data we want

#-- Identification
put $_POST["verify_sign"] into tVerificationSign
put $_POST["receiver_id"] into tSellerID -- my ID

#-- Customer
put $_POST["first_name"] into tFirstName

<snip>

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]

On Jan 8, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Recently, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>
>> PayPal provides a library, into which you can hook your own registration
>> system. You still have to make the actual script PHP to generate a license,
>> but you can use the transaction information that's provided in real time by
>> PayPal to create that license.
>
> I wonder if one could do this with on-rev instead of PHP...
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Software Order Processing Service?

Andrew Henshaw
Yes,  you can do it with on-rev instead of php,  its pretty simple stuff.

We have systems set up with Kagi, Plimus and Paypal.    All do the same thing,  which is on completion of the order they post the order info to a url you choose,  it can be a php or irev file,  it doesnt matter.

You then parse the post data,  in the case of Paypal you can send a request back to them to verify the request came from them just in case someone finds your key issue url out.  In the case of the others,  most send a private piece of data you set up with them so you can verify it.

Once you know it has come from the appropriate person,  you can then code the rest of the file i(in rev in the case of an on-rev file) to generate the key code,  log the sale on your own servers etc.  Our code takes the users email address and uses that as their user name,  and then generates a code based on that.  As the code is generated by a rev cgi,  its easy to have the server issue the code,  and the app decode it.

We tend to use Paypal and Plimus to handle the orders at the moment.

I would say in my opinion Paypal are the best for us and we use Plimus for people who want to pay by card and not through Paypal.

We liked Kagi  but we have a discount system in the software so people could click a button in the software and buy with a discount code if they registered in the first 7 days.  Unfortunately we could not figure out how to attach a discount code to the kagi url and have the discount show on the first order page (it showed on the second,  but by then some users thought they were looking at the full price order form so it didnt work for our particular situation).  It was a shame as they were good until we bought in that discount system.  If there was a way to pass a discount coupon in a url,  and have the discounted price show on the order form we would swap back to them tomorrow.

If you already use Paypal,  look at the IPN settings in your profile (its easier to find in the class version IMO).  If you are averse to reading the 101 page document at Paypal,  you can just set it up initially to post to a url on your server and just set up an irev file to log anything posted to that url,  so when you get an order you can then pop onto the server and see what Paypal send you and work it from there.