Solution for signing Windows .exe,.dll and so on under Mac OS X

Solution for signing Windows .exe,.dll and so on under Mac OS X

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi,
i am not sure, if you all alread knew about it. But for me it was totally new.

Today i was able to successfully signing a Windows .exe file under Mac OS X.

See the steps below.

If the URLs are not readable, go here to download a short pdf containing the instructions.

https://dl.qck.nu//?dl=Singing_Windows_files_on_MacOSX.pdf <https://dl.qck.nu//?dl=Singing_Windows_files_on_MacOSX.pdf>

Why are url in this list email always shown twice? Is there a trick to avoid that?

Any way.

Regards,

Matthias

How to signcode Windows apps under Mac OS X using osslsigncode

1. If not already installed, install Homebrew using the Terminal
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

2. install osslsigncode using HomeBrew, enter the following into the Terminal
 brew install osslsigncode

After successful installation you should be able to sign your Windows .exe under Mac OS X

See examples below  for signing YOURAPP.exe with a p12/pfx certificate

SHA256
osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha2 -t TIMESTAMPSERVERURL -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe

SHA1
osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha1  -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe

Dual signing
osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha1  -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha2 -nest -t TIMESTAMPSERVERURL -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe

With my Comode certificate i am using the timestamp server url  http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161 <http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161>

What LC or OS incantation do I use to involve the onscreen keyboard on a Win 10 tablet?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

Colleagues in Livecode,

I just purchased a Win 10 ‘convertible’ tablet from Lidl <https://www.lidl.de/de/trekstor-surftab-twin-10-1/p255395> solely for quick Win testing LC.  The upside is that it is astonishing value for money (£169).

The downside is that the on screen keyboard isn’t automatically invoked when no keyboard is attached and the cursor enters a field.  I can access the KB from the task bar, but who wants to do that all the time?  It also doesn’t seem to move things about to avoid the KB overlaying the field in question.

I have seen a few complaints online that seem to suggest that this is how it works in Win 10.  I have a hard time believing that because it is so spectacularly stupid and irritating.  Some apps seem to have worked around this problem, and I hope that someone on this list has also done so.

Any advice?  If I have to roll my own KB + field avoidance+ text entry system I will, but surely that shouldn’t be necessary?

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Re: What LC or OS incantation do I use to involve the onscreen keyboard on a Win 10 tablet?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I thought my buying USB Microscopes in LIDL was an all-time low . . .

Mind you, a friend of mine bought a kilt there.

On 19.03.2018 13:27, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> Colleagues in Livecode,
>
> I just purchased a Win 10 ‘convertible’ tablet from Lidl <https://www.lidl.de/de/trekstor-surftab-twin-10-1/p255395> solely for quick Win testing LC.  The upside is that it is astonishing value for money (£169).
>
> The downside is that the on screen keyboard isn’t automatically invoked when no keyboard is attached and the cursor enters a field.  I can access the KB from the task bar, but who wants to do that all the time?  It also doesn’t seem to move things about to avoid the KB overlaying the field in question.

Right click (hold and release) in the textField, and select show touch
keyboard icon.

Fairly inconvenient!

Here's some horrible Visual BASIC:

Sub Keyboard()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Call ShellEx("C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\ink\TabTip.exe")

ProcedureExit:
Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
MsgBox "Error" & ": " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & "Description: " _
& Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Module1.Keyboard"
Resume ProcedureExit

End Sub

https://borncity.com/win/2015/08/24/windows10-upgrade-on-screen-keyboardtouchscreen-fix/

> I have seen a few complaints online that seem to suggest that this is how it works in Win 10.  I have a hard time believing that because it is so spectacularly stupid and irritating.
I don't, frankly.

> Some apps seem to have worked around this problem, and I hope that someone on this list has also done so.
>
> Any advice?  If I have to roll my own KB + field avoidance+ text entry system I will, but surely that shouldn’t be necessary?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David Glasgow

Re: Solution for signing Windows .exe,.dll and so on under Mac OS X

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

i´ve just noticed that the link to the PDF file was not correct.

You´ll find the step by step instructions here

https://dl.qck.nu//?dl=Signing_Windows_files_on_MacOSX.pdf <https://dl.qck.nu//?dl=Signing_Windows_files_on_MacOSX.pdf>

I am sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Tel +49 5741 310000
https://matthiasrebbe.eu <https://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 17.03.2018 um 09:58 schrieb Matthias Rebbe <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi,
> i am not sure, if you all alread knew about it. But for me it was totally new.
>

> Today i was able to successfully signing a Windows .exe file under Mac OS X.
>
> See the steps below.
>
> If the URLs are not readable, go here to download a short pdf containing the instructions.
>
> https://dl.qck.nu//?dl=Singing_Windows_files_on_MacOSX.pdf <https://dl.qck.nu//?dl=Singing_Windows_files_on_MacOSX.pdf>
>
> Why are url in this list email always shown twice? Is there a trick to avoid that?
>
> Any way.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>

> How to signcode Windows apps under Mac OS X using osslsigncode
>
> 1. If not already installed, install Homebrew using the Terminal
> ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install>)"
>
> 2. install osslsigncode using HomeBrew, enter the following into the Terminal
>  brew install osslsigncode
>
> After successful installation you should be able to sign your Windows .exe under Mac OS X
>
> See examples below  for signing YOURAPP.exe with a p12/pfx certificate
>
> SHA256
> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha2 -t TIMESTAMPSERVERURL -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
>
> SHA1
> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha1  -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
>
> Dual signing
> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha1  -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha2 -nest -t TIMESTAMPSERVERURL -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
>

> With my Comode certificate i am using the timestamp server url  http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161 <http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161>

Re: Solution for signing Windows .exe,.dll and so on under Mac OS X

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
The url for the pdf download links to my server (dl.qck.nu), in case you are concerned about the domain name.
That domain is used to provide several  services using LC server. So nothing harmful.

> [...]

>> SHA1
>> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha1  -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
>>
>> Dual signing
>> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha1  -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
>> osslsigncode sign -pkcs12 YOURCERTIFICATEFILE.p12 -pass YOURCERTPASSWORD -h sha2 -nest -t TIMESTAMPSERVERURL -in /PATH/YOURAPP.exe -out /PATH/YOURAPP_signed.exe
>>

>> With my Comode certificate i am using the timestamp server url  http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161 <http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161><http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161 <http://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161>>

Re: What LC or OS incantation do I use to involve the onscreen keyboard on a Win 10 tablet?

Thanks, Richmond, but as far as I can establish there is no way of detecting whether there is a physical keyboard attached to a Windows detachable keyboard device.  Quite a few Win programmers have discussed the issue, but no reliable solutions posted.

So I have come up with something that seems to work, and I would appreciate any predictable fail scenarios.

My app has a brief set up screen - select from pop up, select radio button, click start.  If that is achieved and is associated with > n mousemove messages, I’m assuming a mouse/trackpad is present, and therefore we are not running as a tablet, (either in tablet mode, or Win 10 touch screen without tablet mode).  I can then enable tooltips and not invoke an onscreen keyboard.  (and vice versa)

I think I’d have to wait a while before the Glasgow Tartan appears in Aldi - but if it does…..

Best wishes,

David Glasgow