Quantcast

Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi All,

I’m working an app to facilitate the development of student class schedules.

Right now there are three items for each course that I’d like to sort in various ways: CourseName, Time, Days. The information is placed in that order in a field for display.

It’s easy to sort on any one of the items. For example….
sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 1 of each

sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" dateTime by item 2 of each

sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 3 of each

But I can’t figure out how to sort first on item 3, Days and then by item 2, Time. My goal is sort by matching Days and then by time in ascending order. The courses meeting on the same day would be grouped together by time earliest to latest. A sort does take place, but it’s text. I’ve not figured out how/where to place the dateTime sortType when combining a sort on item 3 and item 2.

Here’s the basic line of script… where does “dateTime” go? I’ve tried placing it in all the points of the line that I can think of….
sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 3 of each & item 2 of each

The dictionary under “Sort Container” suggests what I want to do is possible:
The sort container command is a stable sort. This means that if the sortKey for two items or lines is the same, sorting does not change their order, so you can do two successive sorts to create subcategories within the major sort categories.
Tip: To create a custom sort order, use the each keyword to pass each line or item to a custom function. The value returned by the function is used as the sort key for that line or item. It is not currently possible to debug custom sort functions, and doing so could make the IDE unstable. It is recommended to use logging messages instead.
The information in the “LiveCode Resource Center” doesn’t include an example of sorting on two criteria.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com <http://www.classroomfocusedsoftware.com/>

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
On 4/8/17 12:47 PM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode wrote:
> But I can’t figure out how to sort first on item 3, Days and then by
> item 2, Time. My goal is sort by matching Days and then by time in
> ascending order. The courses meeting on the same day would be grouped
> together by time earliest to latest.

Just run the sort twice:

sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 3 of each
sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 2 of each

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
On 4/8/17 2:07 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Just run the sort twice:
>
> sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 3 of each
> sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 2 of each

Also, you probably already know this, but it's more efficient to get the
field content, sort it twice, and put it back.

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
Other way around I think. Sort by time first, then sort by day
.Jerry

On 4/8/17 2:26 PM, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode wrote:
> Other way around I think. Sort by time first, then sort by day
> .Jerry

Right, I got the order mixed up. Smallest first.

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
Thank you, Jacque and Jerry. I tried Jacque’s suggestion multiple times… why I didn’t try reversing the order I don’t know… it seems so obvious now.

Thank you both for the quick response.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Other way around I think. Sort by time first, then sort by day
> .Jerry
>
>> On Apr 8, 2017, at 12:07 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/8/17 12:47 PM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode wrote:
>>> But I can’t figure out how to sort first on item 3, Days and then by
>>> item 2, Time. My goal is sort by matching Days and then by time in
>>> ascending order. The courses meeting on the same day would be grouped
>>> together by time earliest to latest.
>>
>> Just run the sort twice:
>>
>> sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 3 of each
>> sort lines of field "FIRSTyear_FALL" by item 2 of each

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
It's because you were channeling me, and I had it wrong.

On 4/8/17 2:58 PM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode wrote:
> I tried Jacque’s suggestion multiple times… why I didn’t try
> reversing the order I don’t know…

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode
Well, if I really was channeling you, I’d call that a win!! And besides, then I’d be able to provide way more help to the list than I can now!

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 3:04 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's because you were channeling me, and I had it wrong.
>
> On 4/8/17 2:58 PM, Randy Hengst via use-livecode wrote:
>> I tried Jacque’s suggestion multiple times… why I didn’t try
>> reversing the order I don’t know…

Re: Sort with two sortTypes

prothero--- via use-livecode

> why I didn’t try reversing the order I don’t know… it seems so obvious now.

Not enough time feeding one of these:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/082.jpg
;) Jerry