Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question
indeed:

I have a series of long strings of characters such as:

LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink

and I would like a happy little routine that could trot along each
string and, for each character (and this is ONLY confined
to the Latin alphabet, at the moment) tell me (or, more importantly,
other scripts) whether it is a VOWEL or a CONSONANT.

Of course, having learnt from Mark Waddingham about the effective nature
of G & T s, I may end up answering my own e-mail . . .

Thanks Mark, I knew you had more to tell me than "just" computer
programming :-)

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

I do not think that vowels are automatically detected, so you need to put the chars representing vowel sounds into a variabel tVowels . Run a repeat for each char tChar of the string and check if tChar is in tVowels, like this (using Norwegian vowels as an example)

put “aeioyæøå” into tVowels

repeat for each char tChar in tString
   if tChar is in tVowels then
      add 1 to tNumberOfVowels
  end if
  answer tNumberOfVowels
end repeat

Regards
Tore

> 7. aug. 2017 kl. 19:42 skrev Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question indeed:
>
> I have a series of long strings of characters such as:
>
> LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink
>
> and I would like a happy little routine that could trot along each string and, for each character (and this is ONLY confined
> to the Latin alphabet, at the moment) tell me (or, more importantly, other scripts) whether it is a VOWEL or a CONSONANT.
>
> Of course, having learnt from Mark Waddingham about the effective nature of G & T s, I may end up answering my own e-mail . . .
>
> Thanks Mark, I knew you had more to tell me than "just" computer programming :-)
>
> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Repeat for each char tchar intVar
if tChar is among the items of "a,e,i,o,u" then
    -- its a vowel
else
   -- its not a vowel.
end if

end repeat

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question
> indeed:
>
> I have a series of long strings of characters such as:
>
> LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink
>
> and I would like a happy little routine that could trot along each string
> and, for each character (and this is ONLY confined
> to the Latin alphabet, at the moment) tell me (or, more importantly, other
> scripts) whether it is a VOWEL or a CONSONANT.
>
> Of course, having learnt from Mark Waddingham about the effective nature
> of G & T s, I may end up answering my own e-mail . . .
>
> Thanks Mark, I knew you had more to tell me than "just" computer
> programming :-)
>
> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

typo, first line should be
repeat for each char tChar in tVar -- where tvar has your string

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Repeat for each char tchar intVar
> if tChar is among the items of "a,e,i,o,u" then
>     -- its a vowel
> else
>    -- its not a vowel.
> end if
>
> end repeat
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question
>> indeed:
>>
>> I have a series of long strings of characters such as:
>>
>> LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink
>>
>> and I would like a happy little routine that could trot along each string
>> and, for each character (and this is ONLY confined
>> to the Latin alphabet, at the moment) tell me (or, more importantly,
>> other scripts) whether it is a VOWEL or a CONSONANT.
>>
>> Of course, having learnt from Mark Waddingham about the effective nature
>> of G & T s, I may end up answering my own e-mail . . .
>>
>> Thanks Mark, I knew you had more to tell me than "just" computer
>> programming :-)
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Thanks Tore and Mike.

Richmond.

On 8/7/17 8:52 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:

> typo, first line should be
> repeat for each char tChar in tVar -- where tvar has your string
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Repeat for each char tchar intVar
>> if tChar is among the items of "a,e,i,o,u" then
>>      -- its a vowel
>> else
>>     -- its not a vowel.
>> end if
>>
>> end repeat
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question
>>> indeed:
>>>
>>> I have a series of long strings of characters such as:
>>>
>>> LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink
>>>
>>> and I would like a happy little routine that could trot along each string
>>> and, for each character (and this is ONLY confined
>>> to the Latin alphabet, at the moment) tell me (or, more importantly,
>>> other scripts) whether it is a VOWEL or a CONSONANT.
>>>
>>> Of course, having learnt from Mark Waddingham about the effective nature
>>> of G & T s, I may end up answering my own e-mail . . .
>>>
>>> Thanks Mark, I knew you had more to tell me than "just" computer
>>> programming :-)
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

I think you have an error in your code samples.  Your vowel set should be
"aeiouandsometimesy"

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tore and Mike.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 8/7/17 8:52 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> typo, first line should be
>> repeat for each char tChar in tVar -- where tvar has your string
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Repeat for each char tchar intVar
>>> if tChar is among the items of "a,e,i,o,u" then
>>>      -- its a vowel
>>> else
>>>     -- its not a vowel.
>>> end if
>>>
>>> end repeat
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

And the obscure word "cwm" uses w as a vowel.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 3:28 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think you have an error in your code samples.  Your vowel set should be
> "aeiouandsometimesy"
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Tore and Mike.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>>> On 8/7/17 8:52 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>>>
>>> typo, first line should be
>>> repeat for each char tChar in tVar -- where tvar has your string
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Repeat for each char tchar intVar

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

RE: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Jonathan, I can't wait to use that one in scrabble against Margaret!
Thanks...

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you have an error in your code samples.  Your vowel set should
> be "aeiouandsometimesy"
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Tore and Mike.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>>> On 8/7/17 8:52 pm, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
>>>
>>> typo, first line should be
>>> repeat for each char tChar in tVar -- where tvar has your string
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Repeat for each char tchar intVar

> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth On the second
> day, God created the oceans.
>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Cwm is Welsh; in English it is spelt "combe".

On Aug 7, 2017 11:08 PM, "Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> And the obscure word "cwm" uses w as a vowel.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Aug 7, 2017, at 3:28 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think you have an error in your code samples.  Your vowel set should be
> > "aeiouandsometimesy"
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Tore and Mike.
> >>
> >> Richmond.

> question

> nature

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >   and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

And the musical instrument the crwth.

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And the obscure word "cwm" uses w as a vowel.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 3:28 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think you have an error in your code samples.  Your vowel set should be
>> “aeiouandsometimesy"

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.

Richmond.

On 8/7/17 11:24 pm, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode wrote:

> And the musical instrument the crwth.
>
>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And the obscure word "cwm" uses w as a vowel.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 3:28 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you have an error in your code samples.  Your vowel set should be
>>> “aeiouandsometimesy"

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Ahem, neither is LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink.

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 3:17 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 8/7/17 11:24 pm, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode wrote:
>> And the musical instrument the crwth.
>>
>>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> And the obscure word "cwm" uses w as a vowel.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Scrabble disagrees.

Both words are in mainstream dictionaries as well. They are imported words. I think they are the only two words where W is a vowel.

Of course, Scrabble considers zloty, qadi, and qwerty to be words.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 6:17 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.
>
> Richmond.
>
>> On 8/7/17 11:24 pm, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode wrote:
>> And the musical instrument the crwth.
>>
>>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> And the obscure word "cwm" uses w as a vowel.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Wh, Cwme wn that's ridiculwus; everywne knwws that the English fwr "Cwm"
is "cwmbe".

This is Hwpeless!

Richmwnd.

On 8/8/17 1:23 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:

> Scrabble disagrees.
>
> Both words are in mainstream dictionaries as well. They are imported words. I think they are the only two words where W is a vowel.
>
> Of course, Scrabble considers zloty, qadi, and qwerty to be words.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 6:17 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>>> On 8/7/17 11:24 pm, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode wrote:
>>> And the musical instrument the crwth.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat

Lagi

On 7 August 2017 at 23:26, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wh, Cwme wn that's ridiculwus; everywne knwws that the English fwr "Cwm"
> is "cwmbe".
>
> This is Hwpeless!
>
> Richmwnd.
>

> On 8/8/17 1:23 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Scrabble disagrees.
>>
>> Both words are in mainstream dictionaries as well. They are imported
>> words. I think they are the only two words where W is a vowel.
>>
>> Of course, Scrabble considers zloty, qadi, and qwerty to be words.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 6:17 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

If the Welsh are so averse to vowels, they ought to call themselves the Wlsh.

Bob S

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 15:17 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

When once walking in Wales I observed a Welshman having a vowel-movement
behind a bush . . .

The noises he was uttering during this procedure were 100% vowels.

Richmond.

On 8/8/17 5:34 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> If the Welsh are so averse to vowels, they ought to call themselves the Wlsh.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 7, 2017, at 15:17 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Also a Welsh word, NOT an English one.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Thank you for lifting my mood this morning :)

Sent from my iPhone