Sparkle anybody?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sparkle anybody?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I don’t think this is OT - I suppose it depends on your point of view.

Sparkle is a framework for providing update logic to Mac Apps (this is my take on it anyway). I know Trevor has kind of incorporated into Levure, but the commitment to understanding and working with Levure is too heavy for me, I think. It’s supposed to be easy to integrate Sparkle into your app (no coding!), but it turns out, only if you speak XCode, as the baldest explanations of its use assume that the reader is deep into Apple’s way of doing things.

So is it curtains for us LC coders - I mean is there no alternative to a massive technical self-education effort to use this stuff, where one might at the end crash and burn anyway? It would be sad, because it seems so far from “everyone can code”. Yes, I can, but I am constantly being thumped by deployment issues like this.

Thoughts, anyone?

Graham
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sparkle anybody?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Everyone can code. Not everyone can deploy. ;-)

Honestly, I don't think the Levure Framework is all that complex. It's simple a matter of putting certain files where your app can find them, then editing a configuration file, if I am not wholly mistaken. You do not have to convert any stacks to script only stacks if you don't want to. You don't have to integrate with Github if you don't want to.

I would think about doing it in phases. Get your files into the folder structure first. Then move common code into libraries or script only stacks. Then start using the features of Levure that enhance your development cycle.

The only reason I haven't done it is because I am lazy, and dev is not my primary job responsibility.

Bob S


> On Mar 8, 2018, at 13:53 , Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don’t think this is OT - I suppose it depends on your point of view.
>
> Sparkle is a framework for providing update logic to Mac Apps (this is my take on it anyway). I know Trevor has kind of incorporated into Levure, but the commitment to understanding and working with Levure is too heavy for me, I think. It’s supposed to be easy to integrate Sparkle into your app (no coding!), but it turns out, only if you speak XCode, as the baldest explanations of its use assume that the reader is deep into Apple’s way of doing things.
>
> So is it curtains for us LC coders - I mean is there no alternative to a massive technical self-education effort to use this stuff, where one might at the end crash and burn anyway? It would be sad, because it seems so far from “everyone can code”. Yes, I can, but I am constantly being thumped by deployment issues like this.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Graham

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode