Speed of different versions of MC?

David Epstein-7
After years of using Metacard 2.5, I've started using LiveCode 4.5 and 5.5.3 as well as the the Metacard interface for those.  Particularly on my older Mac (PowerPC chip System 10.4) I have noticed some significantly slower operations with the newer versions.  Is this consistent with others' experience?  And will stacks' performance as standalones tend to be roughly similar to how they work in the development environment with which I compile them?
I can see ways of speeding up certain handlers if I have to, but have been spoiled by the raw power of Metacard 2.5, which meant that scripts simpler to design but less efficient to parse would cause no detectible lag.
Many thanks for any thoughts.

David Epstein

Re: Speed of different versions of MC?

J. Landman Gay
On 2/12/13 12:19 PM, David Epstein wrote:
> After years of using Metacard 2.5, I've started using LiveCode 4.5 and
> 5.5.3 as well as the the Metacard interface for those.  Particularly on my
> older Mac (PowerPC chip System 10.4) I have noticed some significantly
> slower operations with the newer versions.  Is this consistent with others'
> experience?  And will stacks' performance as standalones tend to be roughly
> similar to how they work in the development environment with which I
> compile them?

I haven't noticed any differences, but I haven't had a PPC machine in
years. Probably the only way to know if standalones are affected is to
build one and see. Is there any pattern to the things that are slower?
Maybe some of the many improvements since version 2.5 could handle those
better.