Speeding the transition between cards 2: tests on the iPhone device

Speeding the transition between cards 2: tests on the iPhone device

eps11
Hi all,

This is a follow-up on my first post. I have tried to put my App on the iPhone device to test it and it was even slower than in the simulator. So, as a test, I did the following: I have created a new stack with two cards. On the first card, I put a 320x480 image and two "Go card 2" buttons. On the second one, I put a different 320x480 image and two "Go card 1" buttons (These images are actually 480x320 images I imported using the "Import as Control" command, then resized to 320x480). Then, I built the app and put it on my iPhone 4. The page turns are very very slow. Even the loading of the app is slow. And I still can't understand why. Can you help?

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Speeding the transition between cards 2: tests on the iPhone device

J. Landman Gay
On 3/9/11 11:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a follow-up on my first post. I have tried to put my App on
> the iPhone device to test it and it was even slower than in the
> simulator. So, as a test, I did the following: I have created a new
> stack with two cards. On the first card, I put a 320x480 image and
> two "Go card 2" buttons. On the second one, I put a different 320x480
> image and two "Go card 1" buttons (These images are actually 480x320
> images I imported using the "Import as Control" command, then resized
> to 320x480). Then, I built the app and put it on my iPhone 4. The
> page turns are very very slow. Even the loading of the app is slow.
> And I still can't understand why. Can you help?

It shouldn't be that slow (how slow is "slow", on average?) But what you
did is a good test. From what I've heard, imported images are
inefficient on iOS and you should use referenced images instead whenever
possible. The platform is optimized to load all resources from disk.

To do that, place your images in a folder and include that folder in the
Files and Folders pane of the standalone builder. They will be placed in
the bundle in your app after it's built. In your test stack, delete the
imported images and instead create new image objects with no content,
and set their filenames to the files on disk. Use a relative path; i.e.,
if your images are in a folder called "images" then the filename of an
image object would be "images/photo.jpg".

Build the app and see if that speeds it up.

Re: Speeding the transition between cards 2: tests on the iPhone device

BNig
Hi Eric,

I did a quick test:
a stack with 2 cards and on each card there is one image of 320x460. And on each card is a button with the script: go next

I loaded that to my iPhone G3 running iOS 4.2.1 which is sloow on the iPhone G3.

The app started in under 2 seconds. The response to the click on the button was noticeable but less than 1/2 a second (as to my chrono-guess-meter). Nothing unusual for my iPhone in terms of reactivity. I suspect there is something else going on.

Kind regards

Bernd