Stacks in Memory

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I have all my stacks configured with destroyStack and destroyWindow (gotta love those names!) set to true. And yet after I close them, if I check the revLoadedStacks() it shows that they and their subStacks are still loaded in memory. What do I need to do to get them out of memory?? Using LC 9.0.1 (rc3). I don’t see “obliterateStacks” in the dictionary ;)

Marty

Re: Stacks in Memory

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
To answer my own question, although the Property Inspector will allow you to set both the destroyStack and cantDelete properties of a stack to true, cantDelete (when true) blocks destroyStack. I’d set cantDelete to true so that I wouldn’t accidentally delete a stack or sub stack. But generally, when I close a stack I want it removed from memory. So I’ve set cantDelete to false for now.

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:26 AM, Knapp Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have all my stacks configured with destroyStack and destroyWindow (gotta love those names!) set to true. And yet after I close them, if I check the revLoadedStacks() it shows that they and their subStacks are still loaded in memory. What do I need to do to get them out of memory?? Using LC 9.0.1 (rc3). I don’t see “obliterateStacks” in the dictionary ;)
>
> Marty

Re: Stacks in Memory

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Hmmm... I have all three set on my mainstack and when I close it, the stack and it's substacks are not in memory. However, stacks I started using are.

Bob S

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:49 , Knapp Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> To answer my own question, although the Property Inspector will allow you to set both the destroyStack and cantDelete properties of a stack to true, cantDelete (when true) blocks destroyStack. I’d set cantDelete to true so that I wouldn’t accidentally delete a stack or sub stack. But generally, when I close a stack I want it removed from memory. So I’ve set cantDelete to false for now.
>
>> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:26 AM, Knapp Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have all my stacks configured with destroyStack and destroyWindow (gotta love those names!) set to true. And yet after I close them, if I check the revLoadedStacks() it shows that they and their subStacks are still loaded in memory. What do I need to do to get them out of memory?? Using LC 9.0.1 (rc3). I don’t see “obliterateStacks” in the dictionary ;)
>>
>> Marty

Re: Stacks in Memory

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Did you check revLoadedStacks()?

Marty

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmmm... I have all three set on my mainstack and when I close it, the stack and it's substacks are not in memory. However, stacks I started using are.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:49 , Knapp Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> To answer my own question, although the Property Inspector will allow you to set both the destroyStack and cantDelete properties of a stack to true, cantDelete (when true) blocks destroyStack. I’d set cantDelete to true so that I wouldn’t accidentally delete a stack or sub stack. But generally, when I close a stack I want it removed from memory. So I’ve set cantDelete to false for now.
>>
>>> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:26 AM, Knapp Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have all my stacks configured with destroyStack and destroyWindow (gotta love those names!) set to true. And yet after I close them, if I check the revLoadedStacks() it shows that they and their subStacks are still loaded in memory. What do I need to do to get them out of memory?? Using LC 9.0.1 (rc3). I don’t see “obliterateStacks” in the dictionary ;)
>>>
>>> Marty

Re: Stacks in Memory

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
yup

Bob S

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 11:34 , Knapp Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you check revLoadedStacks()?
>
> Marty
>
>> On Sep 5, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm... I have all three set on my mainstack and when I close it, the stack and it's substacks are not in memory. However, stacks I started using are.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:49 , Knapp Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> To answer my own question, although the Property Inspector will allow you to set both the destroyStack and cantDelete properties of a stack to true, cantDelete (when true) blocks destroyStack. I’d set cantDelete to true so that I wouldn’t accidentally delete a stack or sub stack. But generally, when I close a stack I want it removed from memory. So I’ve set cantDelete to false for now.

Re: Stacks in Memory

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
There are a number of things that will prevent destroyStack from
working. It will fail if the stack is in use, if there is an open
socket, if there is an open driver, and maybe some other things I can't
remember. Basically, if any part of the stack is still in operation it
can't be purged.